Hide
5 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Verena Talos - how to build/play, how to counter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MadeOf RealPanthers
msg tools
I'm a huge fan of Verena. I wanted to try to bring together ideas on her - please add, correct me, etc.

Some related threads which I have nicked stuff from.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ImperialAssaultTMG/comments/4kpo1d/...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1494175/verena-talos-ridicu...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1524703/verena-talos-op

First, some tips based on the above and my own experience on the Hoth campaign:

1) Rush point-blank shot. Combat momentum is your second buy, not your first. The reason for this is that CM only procs on a kill - this is much more likely to happen if you have PBS. Basically, PBS is what Verena is for, IMO. but maybe I'm missing something.
2) Tier 1 weapons with PBS are good enough to last you to tier 3. The only tier 2 weapon of note is the DeathHammer. I personally favour the DL-44, because it offers 2 mod slots, some strain recovery chances, and some good strain abilities. Others love the DDC Defender, which I can understand, but it requires great positioning. Also, the DDC's key power doesn't work with Combat Mastery, because CMas uses an action.
3) About the DeathHammer. It costs about 900-1000 in total because you'll need a mod to get the 1 accuracy required to use it with PBS. This is good value, compared to the DL-44 with 2 mods. But you'll have to last until mid-game with Verena's starting weapon if you go this route, or else buy something and sell it (losing 250 credits or so, depending on what you buy/sell). On the balance, i think it's arguably a bit better to just buy a T1 weapon and hang on to it rather than chase the T2 gun (and one of only 1-2 mods that make it viable). If nothing else - don't worry if you miss out on the DH
4) You can build a group around Verena. I really like Fenn, Gideon, and Diala. So much threat-clearance! Gideon's masterstroke with Verena is wonderful for getting into position.
5) Combat coat synergises well with Duck and Weave
6) Get in position! You want to maximise use of PBS, so get up close! Use Gideon for extra PBS attacks and Close Quarters
7) Combat Mastery > master operative. I love the idea of +1 endurance and a focus token on a Close Quarters (once per round). But not as much as I love the idea of spending 1 strain to get a melee attack. Especially if you're up close already, this is just free damage.
8) I wouldn't invest much in melee, though. Across the board, melee items are pretty poor in terms of damage output. I'm not sure Reach is worth the money, given that you're going to be adjacent to stuff all the time anyway. Vibro knucklers are probably the best to aim for IMO. they're cheap, offer Cleave 2, and a decent bit of damage. But basically, I think the melee damage is just a bonus (that costs 1 strain), not what I'm building Verena for. And let's not forget that I'm only ever using the melee weapon on Combat Mastery - the vast majority of her attacks will be with PBS and Close Quarters. Invest accordingly.
9) Both T3 pistols are a material upgrade on a 2-mod DL-44 or a deathHammer. I slightly prefer the Disruptor with a Targeting Computer (max=9 damage!) to the sporting blaster. But the sporting blaster has lots of surge possibilities, including recovering precious strain. So take whichever one you get, I'd say.
10) I use her as a sort of clean-up crew. I know it's not ideal to go after units that have already activated. But using her late in one turn to do some damage to units that have moved, standing next to them to benefit from DnW, then activating her first in the following turn to clean up can work very well. And besides, in may cases, Fenn is activating first no matter what Verena might want.

Some thoughts on countering her:
1) Strain her up. Hell, just play Subversive Tactics and always win. I wouldn't advise trandoshans, though. She'll eat them for breakfast if you're not careful.
2) Focus her first. She's not THAT robust, even if she is wisely using a combat coat and Duck and Weave. Because she'll often be out of strain, if she wants to survive, she'll have to double-rest, costing her precious activations.
3) out-range her. e-webs, HKs, and hell, even stormtroopers have good options for firing (and re-rolling) then running away. Yes, she'll catch up, but not without using precious activations. And if your rebel doesn't have Gideon, this can be decisive.
4) Learn how to space your units out so she cant be adjacent to many of them at the same time.

What have I missed? What do you guys think? Has anyone tried her on a Base campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good article. Two questions:

CQs = ?

Also, should this be in Strategy subforum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadeOf RealPanthers
msg tools
ah, good point. Have edited for clarity.

I'm not sure how to move it - agree it probably belongs in Strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I've seen her played in several different groups and PBS was ignored in almost all of them. While added damage is always helpful, She is typically used as clean up and tends to benefit a lot from her teammates defeating things next to her. It's been my experience that close quarters gets triggered more often on other players' activations than her own, tho that's certainly subjective to play style.

The most frequent build I've seen is Combat Momentum into Combat Mastery and buying her decent ranged and melee weapons. Her turn then usually consists of one action being Combat Mastery and the other being a rest with move actions mixed in as needed to keep up.

I'm curious, if you get the 434 and PBS what do you do about accuracy? Leave the blue die as is unless focused or buy the marksman barrel or something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F

Minnesota
msg tools
My group just finished Hoth, and I was #1 murderhobo as Vereena with DDC defender, point blank shot, and disruption cell. We also had Gideon for mobility help, and combat momentum/k'tara maneuver helped to keep me in point blank range. I like the DDC/PBS/cell better than combat mastery, because you can use the multiple attacks on the same target if necessary, and you don't have to spend credits for a melee weapon upgrade.
We also had a Mak, so if the imp tried to negate close quarters with a big/long range unit, Mak's No Escape would take it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.