13 Posts

LOAD: League of Ancient Defenders» Forums » General

Subject: How is the gameplay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daman whodaman
msg tools
mb
For those who have it? What are your reviews on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Carpenito
msg tools
Kickstarted it, tried it.
It's, well... It's nothing but throwing dice at each other for too long to keep having fun. Classes do not matter, everyone does the same stuff except for assassins that die just a bit faster. Having max one hero per rectangular field is a huge pain in the ass that does not add any tactical depth beyond "one melee per lane". The game is in infinite length as creep waves do not matter and heroes who try approaching an objective can be focused down quite easily, that is if the forest does not do them in first.
Cool components though! Maybe someone could use the rulebook as a basis for an actual half decent game using the same material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mb
Nataraja wrote:
Kickstarted it, tried it.
It's, well... It's nothing but throwing dice at each other for too long to keep having fun. Classes do not matter, everyone does the same stuff except for assassins that die just a bit faster. Having max one hero per rectangular field is a huge pain in the ass that does not add any tactical depth beyond "one melee per lane". The game is in infinite length as creep waves do not matter and heroes who try approaching an objective can be focused down quite easily, that is if the forest does not do them in first.
Cool components though! Maybe someone could use the rulebook as a basis for an actual half decent game using the same material.

Sounds so far mediocre and lacking fun
Any other reviews as worried that it looks great but will come-out flat as a game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you copy - word for word - all your rules and characters from another's game, change them only when you get caught, then rush the game into print on the same timeline you had before.....then chances are the game WILL be pants. Because quite clearly there could have been little or no playtesting of the final rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude nameless
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Rulebook and print'n'play are out for months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgianni wrote:
Rulebook and print'n'play are out for months.

It was the end of May when the plagiarised rules were withdrawn.
It was the end of July when the rulebook went to the printers.

By my maths, that means they had just two months to write the rules, and playtest them to make sure that (a) there were no kinks or errors, (b) the game was fun to play, and (c) there was no IP infringement.

That's a hell of a tight timescale to go from "unwritten idea" to "printed rulebook" - and would seem to be the reason for the generally lacklustre reports coming in on the finished product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:

That's a hell of a tight timescale to go from "unwritten idea" to "printed rulebook" - and would seem to be the reason for the generally lacklustre reports coming in on the finished product.

What reports are you talkling about ? The one review and the short report here in this thread or is there more ?

On a related topic 'Guards of Atlantis' just received a good review from the Dice Tower. Will be interesting to compare the two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
Stu Holttum wrote:

What reports are you talkling about ? The one review and the short report here in this thread or is there more ?

Quite. The game has been with some people for a fortnight now and I haven't yet seen a single considered positive comment about the gameplay. Plenty of praise for the minis, sure.

Over the last few years, I've backed and received well over 100 games. Almost without exception, BGG has been abuzz with chatter almost from the second the first backer copy plops onto a doormat. I can't recall BGG for a new Kickstarter so much resembling a graveyard as for this game. Compare the poststorm for The Others, for example - not all positive, sure, but at least provoking a reaction. Reaction to LOAD thus far seems to be ".........oh.". Still, maybe it will all pick up and the glowing reviews and session reports will flood in.

Personally, I doubt it - as I would doubt ANY game that (as I said) went from "unwritten idea" to "printed rulebook" in under two months. Not saying its impossible, mark you - but there does seem to be a feeling that "fast fulfilment" was the overriding concern of Prodos Archon for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
Personally, I doubt it - as I would doubt ANY game that (as I said) went from "unwritten idea" to "printed rulebook" in under two months. Not saying its impossible, mark you - but there does seem to be a feeling that "fast fulfilment" was the overriding concern of Prodos Archon for this game.

My interpretation at the time of the KS was Archon's primary concern was to prove they could produce excellent quality minis at a low price with their new technique. If successful, they would become a manufacturer for other companies' miniature projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandor wrote:
My interpretation at the time of the KS was Archon's primary concern was to prove they could produce excellent quality minis at a low price with their new technique. If successful, they would become a manufacturer for other companies' miniature projects.

Well I think everyone hopes Archon succeeds on that front. No one is questioning their skills at making minis or how great Unicast is. They got a real winner there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini's do not a game make, and mini's do not customer service make, either. I've read on the Quirkworthy blog and Dakka forums that Prodos / Archon treats its small customers poorly. It was clear to the customer that Prodos / Archon wasn't QA'ing the molds properly, leading to a degradation in miniature quality. Both Mantic and Prodos / Archon do seem to be taking steps towards fixing their reputations (even GW is doing it), but I have plenty of other projects I can back in the meantime.

Not enough money or time to paint, of course... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mb
Back on topic... so anyone else who actually has the game is willing to put his review here. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually got in for the minis, i'm designing a MOBA game (just for me and few close freinds, for now), and the minis were spot on! if there is a decent game on top of this, all the better!

I would like to hear what more people think of the game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.