Subject: Uwe takes over as the most renowned designer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I maintain a geeklist trying to rank the top designers objectively based on their top ranked games, without personal preferences, except for the combined ranking method used. See Item for Geeklist "The top renowned designers in the bgg top-260 ranking" . Vlaada has lost his number 1 status, Uwe has become number 1 since A Feast for Odin reached BGG rank 177 today, and Vlaada needs to come up with some new game unless his time as the most renowned designer is over! This is gaming history!
(Uwe would already be #1 if not Caverna: The Cave Farmers and Agricola is treated as basically the same game in the BGG ranking system, the base for my ranking).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
(Uwe would already be #1 if not Caverna: The Cave Farmers and Agricola is treated as basically the same game in the BGG ranking system, the base for my ranking).

I'm not sure what you mean by this. These are completely separate games as far as the BGG ranking system is concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
But also they basically are the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
sthrjo wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. These are completely separate games as far as the BGG ranking system is concerned.

Caverna reimplements Agricola, which makes them not entirely separate. When comparing any designers scores I do not count reimplementations in the BGG ranking system twice. I just count the rank of the most highly ranked of the two games. I do this because I think in most cases it gives the best representation of a designers original achievements. So Uwe scores only for Caverna, he scores nothing for Agricola. Entirely my decision, I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Eh.

No, you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
sthrjo wrote:
tumorous wrote:
sthrjo wrote:

Caverna reimplements Agricola, which makes them not entirely separate. When comparing any designers scores I do not count reimplementations in the BGG ranking system twice. I just count the rank of the most highly ranked of the two games. I do this because I think in most cases it gives the best representation of a designers original achievements. So Uwe scores only for Caverna, he scores nothing for Agricola. Entirely my decision, I agree.

Seems like a bizarre and arbitrary decision to me. Aside from being WP games by Uwe, Agricola and Caverna are fundamentally different games in terms of game experience, strategy and theme. If you insist on lumping them together, then you should probably also lump Fields of Arle and Agricola: all creatures big and small, and as well combine Le Havre, Glass Road and Ora et Labora together, since they are all building games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just do the same lumping together as the BGG geekmods do. I have filed an application to separate Caverna and Agricola, and so has a lot of others I am sure, but it was rejected. Try it yourself and see what happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
I maintain a geeklist trying to rank the top designers objectively based on their top ranked games, without personal preferences, except for the combined ranking method used. See Item for Geeklist "The top renowned designers in the bgg top-260 ranking" . Vlaada has lost his number 1 status, Uwe has become number 1 since A Feast for Odin reached BGG rank 177 today, and Vlaada needs to come up with some new game unless his time as the most renowned designer is over! This is gaming history!

Vlaada did pen Codenames, which has been the most commercially successful game of the last 24 months. Soooo....I feel like he's doing just fine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If uwe stopped releasing the same game ever since he hit gold with agricola i would agree. Instead he keeps designing the same game over and over and over.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.