Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~Deranged Review~

Hello! Welcome to this Deranged Review. Let's get to work.

So there's been a heist, and the time has come to divide the loot. Only Mr. Blonde, major hothead, decides he wants a little more than his fair share. And before you know it, the warehouse turns into a wild-west show, and it's only time before the cops show up...

I'll be giving grades on several aspects of the game, such as discussed here.
For ART, I look at the big picture, and how that picture looks. EASE covers ease of play and learning curve, FLEXIBILITY covers the amount of free will you have and is therefore linked to replayability. FUN might be deceptive, as it's a gut thang, but I'll try and specify in the text, and COMPONENTS should be self-explanatory. I'll not say a lot about rules and specifics - you can find those out for yourself.

The Game Itself: Mexican Standoff - The Boardgame.
Load gun. Point gun at target. Give up or stay in. Shoot. Divide loot between those still standing.

ART
-The box art and other illustrations will tell you exactly what kind of game this is; but it's not until you open up the box and see the guns inside that it sinks in just how awesome this is gonna be.

Everything looks cartoonish, but that's not really a problem because it still fits the theme. And frankly, if it were all photo-realistic, the game would be far less fun to play (#1).

EASE
-Point and *click*. The base game is simple enough that most people will understand the basics instantly, and the specifics after a round or two.

The second edition adds a few things, but I'm not talking about the second edition, now, am I?

FLEXIBILITY
-While it's basically just point and shoot, there are a few things to consider, such as who has the most loot, who has shot me before, and who has the least comely nose, among other things.

The bullet mechanism gives semi-hidden knowledge about all the people, and when they stay and when they go will tell you even more about their playstyle.

FUN
-The game has guns, which you'll have to point to other people. That sentence really should be enough to tell you if you'll like this game or not.

Besides, this is one of those games that is greatly improved if all the players are enjoying themselves. AP players should not apply. Look for people willing to dodge and weave and shoot a gun whilst jumping through the air.

COMPONENTS
-Well the components are simply stellar. It's much like Colt Express, in that the components are extremely good (bordering on gimmicky), but the game hiding underneath is actually pretty good, too!

Pro's
It's Exactly what it says on the tin.
It's a nice moment to spout all of your gangster movie one-liners.

Con's
Could be difficult to get past airport security (although mine did fine ^^).

End result:
So, Cash & Guns always delivers. It's just fun in a visceral way most games cannot reach (#2), it has bluffing and nerves of steel, while still usually granting the win to the better player.

But even when you lose, the game is awesome - and at least you got to shoot someone in the face. If you've seen Reservoir Dogs more than once, and/or are a fan of Tarantino's and Rodriguez's work in general, this is the game to get. If you'd like to look somebody in the eye and say "I know what you're thinking...", this is the game to get.

If you do not like pointing loaded guns at other people, stick with poker.

As usual, please give your opinion in the comments .

Oh, by the way, I am Deranged. I like to have fun with (and around) boardgames, and have played many of them over the years. I've been furniture in my FLGS for years ^^. I tend to like old games; well, I tend to like good games, most of which have been around for bit ^^. I've written 86 reviews as of yet, which you can access here, and a handful of random topics discussed here. If you want me to write a review for you or recommend me a game, there's this neat little envelop near my avatar!

googoo

#1: In fact, the Second Edition is even more cartoonish.
#2: I feel kinda dirty referencing Heineken. I know it's known around the world, but it's generally regarded similar to canoe-coïtus over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.