$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49% of Goal | left

Support:

Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not give much of a view on how the game feels: I understand that most of it comes from the cards, but they are not listed in the rulebook. What does the game feel like? In the same vein, do the card mechanical effects mirror their theme (for instance, this is not much the case in Blood Rage, but it is very much the case in Clockwork Wars or Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island)?

I am especially curious about how rich/distinctively flavorful different games or game situations can be (for instance, I would put Magic: The Gathering or Innovation at the top of the scale, there; I very much appreciate how varied each game is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Re: How does it feel?
It feel like 4 angry people in a phone booth with knives. 4 people enter 1 person leaves.

Game is fun, if people play to win. Very easy to just go for revenge and king make in the process. If you don't mind bash of the leader games I think this one is fast, tight, and lots of replay-ability. If constantly getting picked on if you look even slightly ahead bothers you I'd skip it.

It has as much flavor as your willing to imagine. Honestly your just playing cards and resolving in a mechanical way same as any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Inis has high replayability and offers a new feel everygame. I have played through the game 6 times now and no game has felt the same. The area tiles offer different advantages and tend to direct the group towards a certain victory condition. Action, Advantage and Epic Tale Cards can all stack on each other if used correctly with timing. I have seen a player wait till the end of the season, then throw down a brutal combo, leading them to victory!

For the feel: 4 people are being passive aggresive at work, sometimes being vocal infront of their coworkers, but mainly trying to screw each other over by jamming the printer, putting dirt in the coffee grounds and so on. Finally someone has enough of it and ices the parking lot to watch the other three crash into each other while they walk into work flipping them all the bird with a smile on their face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I see the overall feeling.

I am curious about how well (if at all) the cards have mechanics that are thematic. Let me give an example: in Blood Rage, you have many cards or quests that are purely mechanical (get 3 force, advance in a specific domain,…), where in Clockwork Wars you have the Inquisition that punishes people who delve into sorcery or science, etc. Or the card effects in the base game of Dominion that are not very flavorful and only remotely match the theme, versus card effects in Magic that can be game changing and have a strong, distinctive flavor (both mechanically and thematically). How does Inis fare, in this department.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Well, each card does what you think it should. Sanctuary builds a Sanctuary. Citadel builds a Citadel. Emissaries allows you to move someone without starting a clash, representing diplomatic contact.

Migration allows you to move many units from one area to many others territories, potentially starting clashes. Conquest kind of does the opposite. Clans from many areas can move into one, starting a clash.

Warlord allows you to start a clash in an area, or you can use it during a clash for an effect.

Bard can give you an epic tale card, or a deed token if you remove another players clan in a clash. This represents a bard telling a mythic tale, or increasing your reputation by spreading tales of your great conquests.

All of the Epic Tale cards represent events, characters or items in Celtic myth. The manual explains the story behind each one and they all have an effect based on that story. So the mechanics do fit the theme of each card. It feels like a combination of bottom up and top down design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also keep in mind you are primarily playing with the same few (13-18?) cards repeatedly. You will have a few of the epic cards to vary things.

But this isn't like Innovation or Magic where the game is in card variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.