Hide
6 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: What is best faction selection in Scythe for the first 5 games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck J
msg tools
Sythe has 5 unique factions. Before introducing Scythe to my semi-stable game group I began to wonder how to best mix-up the selection of the 5 factions. Factions could be handed out randomly, but a player might end up with the same faction 5 times while never getting a chance to try any others. I considered how to control the selection of factions where each player would try a different faction in the first 5 games. After the first 5 games the game group could then return to random selection with semi-equivalent experience. Future games would be enriched because each player had a chance to lead all 5 different factions.

The easiest solution would have all players move one seat to the left for the start of each new game. In 5 games, all players would start with a new faction. The small problem is players would always be seated with the same opponent to their left and right. As with many game groups we have one member who often unintentionally helps any player lucky enough to sit next to them. If you don't think your game group has one, then in your group that guy is probably you. I wanted a fair method for rotating the players in Scythe so everyone could progress evenly.

My solution started as a map I followed to reseat players between the first and second game. The map sent 2 players back and 3 players forward from their original seat location. The seat locations changed and the left and right opponent also changed. I like the map more when I noticed I could use the same map for the next game, and next, and for all of the first 5 games. I followed the map and generated a table for the first 5 games of Scythe for any group to try. Group members randomly pick a player number for the very first game and then follow the table. This method of mapping seat location could work when adding the two new factions in Scythe.

Random selection is fine but hardly fair. I would suggest following this table for the first 5 games. The game group could continue even if one player could not make a game night by having them be the missed faction on the 6th game. This method of mapping seat location might also work with other board games like Terra Mystica or 7 Wonders. In Scythe mapping seat locations could even continue for the combinations of player boards with factions. I was only trying to find a way to give each member a chance to learn all the factions in the least amount of game plays. I hope you enjoy Scythe as much as we do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are overthinking this...

We just deal at random and swap/redeal anything someone had before...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck J
msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
I think you are overthinking this...

We just deal at random and swap/redeal anything someone had before...

Thank you for the post. Random works, but post found on a forum for strategy board gaming usually include overthinking. Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

Chuck has a point...

I simply do what Jonathan said. Random distribution, then swap factions around if someone is replaying the same one & doesn't want to. Also, I've simply given a new player specific factions if requested (e.g., a friend really liked Rusviet's character, so I just let her play them for her first game--a good choice for that in any case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess a simple answer to this could be, assuming you are playing with the same group of five players, each of you play a different faction for the first five games. You will get a taste of each of the faction's special qualities at least, while leaving the variable combinations of Action/Faction boards to explore in subsequent games. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck J
msg tools
Bubslug wrote:
I guess a simple answer to this could be, assuming you are playing with the same group of five players, each of you play a different faction for the first five games. You will get a taste of each of the faction's special qualities at least, while leaving the variable combinations of Action/Faction boards to explore in subsequent games. Enjoy!

Thank you for the post. You are right just for the factions and only the first 5 games. I did make two unstated assumptions; that Scythe was the new game to the table and the table of an established game group. My group, God bless them, likes to play the new game almost into the ground. We also spend way to much time on post-game analysis. Woulda/coulda on how to stopped the last game's winner.

Scythe starts as a head down but a good player quickly realizes they have to watch the other factions for the mid-game. Each faction has different strengths and weaknesses. Without past experience a players might miss a clever maneuver in the mid-game dance. In 10 or so plays we have kept each faction strengths in check. I think Scythe has legs, long legs for my group, but only after all players had a look under the hood and a chance to sit in the driver seat with all the Mechs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.