Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Can't find it in the book.

If it is supposed to be gone, I have mixed feelings about this:

- Getting to draw your defensive/off-turn cards back up was one of the main draws of one-rounding encounters. Anything that makes longer fights more viable compared to alpha strikes is a good thing in my book. (Screwing you over regardless is probably too high a price to pay though, see below)

- Having your defensive/off-turn cards *always* harm your next turn's available cards (even if you aftermath inbetween) makes those effects a whole lot worse.

- This means defensive equipment is by default only usable only every other turn (absent draw effects).

- Requiring more tactical/interesting use of draw effects is probably a plus.

- Does Fengray (in Ripose mode) even still work without this? Disinclined to test right now, I'd rather check out new heroes.

- In the same vein, what does Haerag do after using Frost Nova? Enter next turn with like zero cards in hand? Harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Speculation: I think this is an oversight and aftermath draw-up should still be there.

Reasons:
- In the old rulebook, aftermath draw-up was just a small sidenote in the Rest rescription as is. This may have gotten lost in the rulebook rearrangement:

- To simplify the Encounter phase (enable skipping if no encounter active), Resting during a turn without encounter was moved to the hero phase. Description how resting works is thus in the Hero phase part of the rulebook, because that comes first. Since you draw up after the hero turn anyway, draw-up does not need to be mentioned as an inherent part of Rest here.

- In the Encounter Phase part of the rulebook, the entry for Resting just points you to the description in the Hero Turn section (the book does this kind of thing a lot). Extra mention of a draw-up got omitted, presumably erroneously.

- Apart from above plausible explanation for an error, I think the game kind of needs this draw-up to function, many things get very awkward without it and numerous existing content/cards may stop functioning properly at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hofland
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't played the original and only a few turns of the new game. I'm not sure I'm getting your comment.

The characters I played had equipement cards that you discarded to the top of you deck so they came back in your hand at the end of the turn. A fast action allowed them to be place in your hero area the next turn.

Agree that this will limit the amount of 'variable' other cards since you will draw the discarded equipement first.

Maybe this is different with 'defensive' cards that you can play at any time (the reflex action if I'm correct) but like I said I didn't run into this (yet) with the characters I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yes, exactly.

Old Mistfall had 2 draw-ups. One at the end of the hero turn (to get your to-top-of-deck weapons and such back), and one while resting during encounter aftermath (to get your defensive reflexive used during enemy turn back, for example. Assuming you don't slack on ending the encounter quickly so you actually have an aftermath.)

I don't see the latter mentioned in new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.