Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all.

I've been getting a lot of feedback about my game which is helping me a lot.

One thing that has been mentioned is the wording on the cards could hinder new players. I've been shortening words so the text can stay a good size.

With this feedback I will be making some changes but the text size will need to be smaller.

What would you say the minimum readable size is on a card?

(More feedback is always appreciated. If you want to get involved my WIP is here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you keep the colour contrast good it could work down to pretty small size. The only way to know for sure is by showing some sample cards with text in different sizes and phrasings.

If you can, use symbols instead of words. They don't need to be intuitive, as long as they're consistent and well-defined. Colour icons can stand out better, but shapes are more important. They can save you from using long words, particularly for the names of groups/factions/basic actions.

Basically just (continue to) rip off the good ideas from ECGs and LCGs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to depend on lighting conditions and the players' ages. In my case (47 years old, wear contacts for nearsightedness but no reading glasses or bifocals), I think the lower limit is around 6pt font (assuming a familiar, relatively easy to read font and high contrast between the letters and the background).

It also matters how often you have to read a certain piece of text. For example, in Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, the listing of villains and henchmen on a given scenario card can be pretty small because you only read it once each time you play the scenario (during setup). For a monster card, I would want the special rules to be in larger font because they will need to be read more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention another couple of things to keep in mind. If your game has cards that are going to be on the table for everyone to look at, you either need icons or a font large enough to be easily readable when upside down. If you have a game that is often played by more than 2 players, icons may increasingly be the way to go based on readability from different angles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, you've been a fantastic help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.