Aeon's End» Forums » General

Subject: Initial impressions and question about storage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew K

California
msg tools
mb
Just received my copy (base game plus the two expansions) and I was able to do a quick 2-player play through it last night. The game was a ton of fun, but I am not sure how best to store everything due to an underwhelming inset. I'll start with the positives first, and would like to particularly mention that I loved that a few of the decks were pre-setup for us to just open the packages, set out the cards and get started playing without fussing over which cards to set out. This made for an awesome and quick setup that got us learning and playing the game quickly.

Component quality seems nice to me. The cards looks a little thin from a distance, but they have a great stiffness and weight to them that I am not worried about premature wear and tear. The character boards and nemesis boards are a nice sturdy cardboard as opposed to just larger cardstock like in Quadropolis or Castle of Burgundy. I also like that every card set for the market has a matching card with grey edges that can be used to randomly select a market. For this, you can easily randomly select the gems, spells, and artifacts that you will place in the market without having to take out every card deck for a random setup. This little touch is great and will help keep setup an easy and quick thing!

The only minor complaint I have on components (aside from the underwhelming inset) is that the breaches are the only non-cardboard element that is used (except for the cards used for the deck-building). They just feel somewhat out of place as cardstock. Really that is my only complaint for the components and it is really minor.

Now on to the inset. Does anyone have a good solution on how to store everything? I was able to get all the cards on one side of the inset with a few pieces of foam that they left in there, but the character and nemesis boards do not fit in the other side and they have to be laid on top. It seems like they could have made the inset asymmetric so it had a wider side to store all the non-card components and gone for a shallower box overall, because this is quite the tall box (about 1.5x Agricola's depth). Anyone figure anything else out in terms of storage or have suggestions?

I'd like to end this post by saying, again, that I had a blast playing this game and can't wait to get it back to the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the concise and mostly positive review! I'm anxiously awaiting my copy too, and I was getting scared until I read this.

I've heard the concern about the use of cardstock for the breaches before, and I always thought that this was a feature, not a problem... The breaches are designed to have spell cards on top of them all the time. So if they used thick cardboard for them, wouldn't the spell cards start getting edge lines on them eventually? (assuming the amount of play that I expect this year...)

I guess that I will have to sleeve this to protect my investment anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
squishylink wrote:
Just received my copy (base game plus the two expansions) and I was able to do a quick 2-player play through it last night. The game was a ton of fun, but I am not sure how best to store everything due to an underwhelming inset. I'll start with the positives first, and would like to particularly mention that I loved that a few of the decks were pre-setup for us to just open the packages, set out the cards and get started playing without fussing over which cards to set out. This made for an awesome and quick setup that got us learning and playing the game quickly.

Component quality seems nice to me. The cards looks a little thin from a distance, but they have a great stiffness and weight to them that I am not worried about premature wear and tear. The character boards and nemesis boards are a nice sturdy cardboard as opposed to just larger cardstock like in Quadropolis or Castle of Burgundy. I also like that every card set for the market has a matching card with grey edges that can be used to randomly select a market. For this, you can easily randomly select the gems, spells, and artifacts that you will place in the market without having to take out every card deck for a random setup. This little touch is great and will help keep setup an easy and quick thing!

The only minor complaint I have on components (aside from the underwhelming inset) is that the breaches are the only non-cardboard element that is used (except for the cards used for the deck-building). They just feel somewhat out of place as cardstock. Really that is my only complaint for the components and it is really minor.

Now on to the inset. Does anyone have a good solution on how to store everything? I was able to get all the cards on one side of the inset with a few pieces of foam that they left in there, but the character and nemesis boards do not fit in the other side and they have to be laid on top. It seems like they could have made the inset asymmetric so it had a wider side to store all the non-card components and gone for a shallower box overall, because this is quite the tall box (about 1.5x Agricola's depth). Anyone figure anything else out in terms of storage or have suggestions?

I'd like to end this post by saying, again, that I had a blast playing this game and can't wait to get it back to the table!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first game. Be sure to give it a try with different player counts. 2 players is a distinctly different experience from 3/4 players due to how the length of the game changes and turn order is set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Remove everything from the box. Flip insert upside down, so instead of 2 storage spaces on the left and right, you have one going down the middle.
Place all cards in this middle space, they should fit perfectly, expansions included, maybe a sponge block or 2 if you want them to fit snug.

2. lift the left cardboard flap to reveal left storage space. Place all Mage playmats diagonally in the upper part. If you tilt them slightly they should fit. Place life counters in the lower part. Between them place a foam block VERTICALLY. This will keep the cardboard flap flat/level. Put left flap back 'down' so its even with the top of the insert/cards.

3. lift the right cardboard flap to reveal right storage space. Place all Nemesis playmats diagonally in the upper part. Tilt them as well. Place other tiles and whatever else at the bottom. Between them place a vertical foam block like you did in the left storage space. Put the right cardboard flap back down so its level with the top of the insert, top of cards, other flap.

4. place rulebook and starting play sheet on top (this is why we needed to place those vertical foam blocks, to keep the surface flat).

done.

If you haven't punched the tiles then you could place the tilesheet before placing the rulebook(s) to provide a more firm horizontal surface. Expansion boxes fit (flat) and all cards from both expansions fit in this set up as well (via center storage space/lane).

Its essentially the same idea as the FFG card game inserts but with a less sturdy cardboard. Its usually oversized/unnecessary for FFG core card game sets but here it works.

cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew K

California
msg tools
mb
Thanks Normiyagi! That works really well for keeping everything well organized!

For others looking at this as a solution, I noticed that the card separators they included won't fit in this arrangement. For me this isn't a problem, as I think the better storage works so much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Normiyagi wrote:
Place all cards in this middle space, they should fit perfectly, expansions included, maybe a sponge block or 2 if you want them to fit snug.

Is this with the cards sleeved or unsleeved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is a quick insert fix I did. Cut the insert in half, then tape/glue the two halves back together with the middle flaps overlapping eachother. Fits sleeved cards plus the expansion boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Holderman
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BOOM! "Out For Delivery" the carrier says. Can't wait for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:

Here is a quick insert fix I did. Cut the insert in half, then tape/glue the two halves back together with the middle flaps overlapping eachother. Fits sleeved cards plus the expansion boxes.

Great tip! I just did the same thing and it is so much nicer this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Martin
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thank you so much. My wife and i have been really frustrated that we haven found a solution that was even mediocre. This saves a lot of frustration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.