Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
*SPOILER WARNING*
Situation: I have Aquinnah on the table. I have Lita Chandler in my hand. Umordhoth is on the table at my location. I cannot take a full hit from him.

QUESTION:
Can I play Lita, redirect the damage from Umordoth to no one, so I dont die? Then use the action on umordoth to end the scenario?
Does Umordhoth hit me on that last action because its not a parlay?

I am very confused on order when damage occurs and triggered conditions here.

From the rules, I think I can use Aquinnah and I am pretty sure Umordoth attacks, but I can have Lita take the 3 damage and 3 horror and hit the R3 resolution. I just want to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I'm leaning toward you not being able to use Aquinnah's special ability unless you have a second enemy to take the damage.

Aquinnah:
Quote:
[Reaction] When an enemy attacks you, exhaust Aquinnah and deal 1 horror to her: Deal that enemy’s damage to another enemy at your location, instead. (You still take horror dealt by the attack.)

I think the important word there is 'instead'.

Rules Ref, p13, Instead
Quote:
The word “instead” is indicative of a replacement effect. A
replacement effect is an effect that replaces the resolution of a
triggering condition with an alternate means of resolution.

The ability replaces one effect (the damage being placed on you) with a specified other effect (damage applied to another enemy). And since the replacement isn't there, I don't think the first effect can be replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If there is no other enemy, the effect of Aquinnah's ability has no potential to change the game state, so it cannot be initiated.

Quote:
Triggered Abilities
A triggered ability can only be initiated if its effect has the potential to change the game state, and its cost (if any) has the potential to be paid in full, taking active cost modifiers into account. This potential is assessed without taking into account the consequences of the cost payment or any other ability interactions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the first response. The second response is not correct because it does change the game state by not dying in this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glamdryn wrote:
I agree with the first response. The second response is not correct because it does change the game state by not dying in this scenario.

You're trying far too hard too be clever here.

The game state is the current condition of the game - what's in play, how many tokens they have, where they're at, etc. "Change the game state" does not mean "Has a different possible outcome." It means "Something on the table is different after than it was before." If you have 5 horror before, and 5 horror after, the game state has not changed even if it might possibly have taken 2 more if something different had happened.

You know the right answer to this. If Aquinah could redirect to nothing, she'd be Dodge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Chakado
France
flag msg tools
Glamdryn wrote:

I would very much like an answer on this.

The text on Umordhoth states :
"Arrow : If you control Lita Chantler: "It's only after her!" You throw Lita to Umôrdhoth in order to spare your lives. (-> R3) "

There is no Parlay nor Resign keyword, so if I apply the rules by the book, I should endure an Attack of Opportunity when I perform this action (which is hardly "sparing my life", then).
What if I am defeated while throwing Lita ? Which conclusion should I read from the Campaign Book ?
I tend to think this action does not trigger an Attack of Opportunity, but that would be opposed to the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Chakado wrote:
Glamdryn wrote:

I would very much like an answer on this.

The text on Umordhoth states :
"Arrow : If you control Lita Chantler: "It's only after her!" You throw Lita to Umôrdhoth in order to spare your lives. (-> R3) "

There is no Parlay nor Resign keyword, so if I apply the rules by the book, I should endure an Attack of Opportunity when I perform this action (which is hardly "sparing my life", then).
What if I am defeated while throwing Lita ? Which conclusion should I read from the Campaign Book ?
I tend to think this action does not trigger an Attack of Opportunity, but that would be opposed to the rules...

My gut feeling is that yes, normally it DOES trigger an AOO, but since AOO's happen after the resolution of whatever action triggered it, and the triggering action literally ends the scenario, then you're spared the AOO in this specific circumstance.

Could be wrong, just gut feeling.

-edited WOULD to DOES-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
You would take the attack of opportunity, yes. 100%.

And attacks of opportunity happen after you have spent all costs for the action that causes it, but before the resolution of that action is allowed to have any impact on the game.

scenario spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You can't toss Lita at the terror (assuming it's ready) if you're unable to survive that 3/3 whack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an arrow action and it does not initiate a Fight, Evade, Parley or Resign action. Therefore it does provoke an AOO. An AOO resolves after you pay the cost of initiating the action, but before the application of the action's effect upon the game state.

Therefore you would need to endure the attack before you can reach the resolution. Though note you can assign damage to Lita since nowhere in that action's text does it state that you discard Lita or remove her from the game. As long as she's still in play after the AOO the action can still be fulfilled.

I wonder if that was a mistake and it was suppose to be a Parley action. It seems like it would be, but yeah I always gave myself an AOO before executing the text on that action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Blarg, I didn't realize AOO's resolve before your triggering action resolves. I'm usually quite good at FFG rules, I've managed to mess tons of things up with this game. Yeesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
phillosmaster wrote:
I wonder if that was a mistake and it was suppose to be a Parley action. It seems like it would be, but yeah I always gave myself an AOO before executing the text on that action.

I don't think Lita will go quietly as you try to hand her over to a giant pillar of gloop. Between her resistance and an angry monster, I can see an AOO being totally legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.