Codex: Card-Time Strategy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rook earthquake timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
http://codexcarddb.com/card/earthquake
Deal 4 damage to all an opponent's damaged buildings.
Deal 1 damage to all their undamaged buildings.

Opponent's base is undamaged. Tech 1 has 1 damage.
Now after you play this spell, 4 damage to tech one which destroys it. Now base has 2 damage because tech one is destroyed. So base takes 4 damage from the spell.
Base ends up with 6 damage.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharpo Bject
United States
flag msg tools
That's right.

Edit: No it's not omg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
Rook two lives
http://codexcarddb.com/card/garus_rook
Rook's maxband

Two Lives (If this would die, heal all damage on it and put a crumbling rune on it instead. While it has a crumbling rune, it can really die.)

When he loses the first life, what happens to
* his channeling spell?
* +1/+1 or -1/-1 runes on him?
* Ongoing spells and buffs (for example vandy's ultimate spell) ?
http://codexcarddb.com/card/metamorphosis

Also
While he still has two lives, does Dooms Grasp kill him off or just take 1 life
http://codexcarddb.com/card/doom_grasp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
About Rook's max level ability, it's says if it WOULD die, then do X INSTEAD. That means Rook doesn't die when it triggers (instead, some other thing happens).

All your questions about it center around that. Does he lose a channeling spell? No, he never died, so there is nothing that would make him lose it. Does he lose +1/+1 runes? No, he never died. Lose buffs? No, he never died. Does Doom Grasp kill him? No, if he would die, instead heal all damage and put a crumbling rune on him. A second cast of Doom Grasp would kill him though of course, because at that point he already has a crumbling rune so he dies like anything else would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharpo Bject
United States
flag msg tools
Hello, about the question in the OP, my initial answer was incorrect, and I hope I have not caused too much damage.

You do the stuff in the order it says on the card, and when the tech 1 building dies you instantly also do 2 damage to the base ok.

Let's go through this step by step.

At the beginning, we have
Tech 1: 4/5
Base: 20/20

The spell says "Deal 4 damage to all an opponent's damaged buildings."

So we round up the damaged buildings (just the Tech 1) and simultaneously deal 4 damage to all of those. Now we have
Tech 1: dead/5
Base: 18/20

Then the spell says "Deal 1 damage to all their undamaged buildings."

So we round up the undamaged buildings (none) and simultaneously deal 1 damage to all of those.

<nothing happens>

Then we're done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
Sirlin wrote:
About Rook's max level ability, it's says if it WOULD die, then do X INSTEAD. That means Rook doesn't die when it triggers (instead, some other thing happens).

All your questions about it center around that. Does he lose a channeling spell? No, he never died, so there is nothing that would make him lose it. Does he lose +1/+1 runes? No, he never died. Lose buffs? No, he never died. Does Doom Grasp kill him? No, if he would die, instead heal all damage and put a crumbling rune on him. A second cast of Doom Grasp would kill him though of course, because at that point he already has a crumbling rune so he dies like anything else would.

So if I deal 6 -1/-1 runes on him, max Rook will die twice at the same time, and therefoe will get sent back to command zone.

sharpobject wrote:
Hello, about the question in the OP, my initial answer was incorrect, and I hope I have not caused too much damage.

You do the stuff in the order it says on the card, and when the tech 1 building dies you instantly also do 2 damage to the base ok.

Let's go through this step by step.

At the beginning, we have
Tech 1: 4/5
Base: 20/20

The spell says "Deal 4 damage to all an opponent's damaged buildings."

So we round up the damaged buildings (just the Tech 1) and simultaneously deal 4 damage to all of those. Now we have
Tech 1: dead/5
Base: 18/20

Then the spell says "Deal 1 damage to all their undamaged buildings."

So we round up the undamaged buildings (none) and simultaneously deal 1 damage to all of those.

<nothing happens>

Then we're done.

This makes the ultimate weak in undamaged base scenario.

We actually played the middle ground before I asked the question

We killed tech 1 then damaged base 1 from spell then damaged base 2 from tech 1 destruction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
This makes the ultimate weak in undamaged base scenario.

Somewhat weaker (and obviously, it's supposed to be 'weaker' in the undamaged building scenario). But Rook has lots of chances to get that 1 point on base ahead of time. If he's playing with White Starter, he's got Smoker. Otherwise, he's got Birds. If he's not hitting Base for 4 with that first Earthquake, he's usually had ample opportunity to set that up ahead of time.

Plus even in the case of the undamaged base, you're generally going to want to be chain-casting Earthquake as much as possible anyway. So the first one being a tremor isn't such a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.