Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Marks
United States
Sioux falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoit, I assume Typhon's -4rp has been balanced according to his stats and abilities but have you considered the player's smaller deck? In the most extreme situation, Let's say, I draft Typhon and a 4 rp hero in a 4 player game. My deck size will be around 13ish cards. When I deplete my deck, reshuffle and draw, my opponents get to put all remains cards in their hand, that will be a huge advantage to them. Was this considered? Are there special rules for this?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmb
GeneralDelivery wrote:
Benoit, I assume Typhon's -4rp has been balanced according to his stats and abilities but have you considered the player's smaller deck? In the most extreme situation, Let's say, I draft Typhon and a 4 rp hero in a 4 player game. My deck size will be around 13ish cards. When I deplete my deck, reshuffle and draw, my opponents get to put all remains cards in their hand, that will be a huge advantage to them. Was this considered? Are there special rules for this?

Thanks

I think it is a fair price to pay for Typhon's insane power. But remember troops are very cheap and give you 3. If you are afraid of milling, run more troops to offset it. What you say holds some truth still: you need to commit to running substandard units to make of for Typhon's weakness, which is slightly more than -4RP: A substandard deck (low AoW ratio), commit to substandard units, commit to not picking expensive AoW units.

Zero AoW is definitely where the big cost is. I'd rather make Typhon and Enceladus have +1 AoW in the deck. As it is now, if you add more troops (that have 0 AoW) then you'd have to pick 'smarter' units after the troops. Say, Typhon + 1RP Troop + 3RP 'smart' hero. Then, have 4 left for whatever.

If Typhon isn't a one man army enough i don't know what it is. But yeah, in a Typhon army you aren't gonna be able to put strong units or units that have AoW costs (like petrification) without severely dampening Typhon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GeneralDelivery wrote:

Thanks

Hello Chuck. Sure, we tested this kind of extreme situation since now more than a year.

You know, Typhon is really deadly: he is the only with 6 actions, he flies, moves 3 and have 10 attacks. And his powers are very effective. So he can deal with an opponent with a hand full of cards.

Note that if you come up with a small deck, it comes from your draft, so this is your decision. It is not necessarily bad. I would say it is a pretty offensive option. In such a composition, you better hit fast and hard in order to reduce the options of your opponent. From my experience extreme compositions are not more or less efficient than more balance ones. What matters is to use wisely your characters and to apply a strategy fitting your units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raynz
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TYPHON is great! Can't wait to play him! Who needs RP!? TYPHON mocks RPs!

Great job with the Campaign Benoit! Here's to the Final Days!!

- Raynz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoit0905 wrote:
Sure, we tested this kind of extreme situation since now more than a year.

That is good to hear. Since you guys were playtesting and doing demoes with just the core box I was wondering how much testing had gone into all the yet non-revelaled units.
But good to read that you were already busy doing that "behind the screens" for over a year!!

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mb
Seems like players would really need to draft some good titan killers when going up against Typhon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AR Key
msg tools
new user
You are right, bigger hand is usually a big advantage.

The thing is they only can activate 2 units per turn (without Athenea or other modifiers). They still can do manouvers, tho.

But there are like 99% chances that you activate typhon each turn and they will have to choose what to do. Since typhon is more op than any other mini you'll have advantage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
Seems like players would really need to draft some good titan killers when going up against Typhon.

Not necessarily. A combination of Oedipus, Icarus, etc could just circumvent Typhon and go straight for the Omphalos victory condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, without AoW cards Typhon isn't all that strong for the -4 recruitment points you have to sacrifice. He needs 3 to activate - and he comes with none.

Put Oedipus against him. If you get your ~15 remaining cards because the Typhpon player has to renew his deck, Pandora comes in handy as she is 10 STR then. He isn't immune to block or web, stun, club, pertify tokens, which cost AoW cards to remove. Paris can sabotage his deck and also has a bonus to kill heroes, which the Typhon player MUST take to get extra AoW cards. And if the player is saving AoW cards for Typhon's skill, he can't use them to activate other units. Hecate can let your opponent run through his cards even faster.
And so on ......

Luckily he has Mighty Throw, otherwise you could just lock him in place with Talos (4pts) and neutalize him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mb
I wonder how well he'd do against Hera. She has 6 more recruitment points after all.

Plenty of room to assemble a powerfull team of heroes and monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.