Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikołaj Korwin
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
new user
Hi guys!
I have been working on my own board game for some time:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1672278/my-own-project-unde...

"Wasteland Scavengers"

The game is Co-op for 2-5 players. Each choose one of the five class:

Gunslinger (uses handguns and smgs, dual wield, basic hand to hand)
Fighter (heavy hand to hand, Tank like, throwing weapons)
Mechanic (separate gun platforms, drones, support class)
Tracker (Sniper rifle, stealth)
Twins (two characters that act as one. Hand to hand and ranged.Flexible setups of weapons and gear.

The party needs to find out the secret of the wasteland - where did all the animals came from and who created the rat pack.

There are two maps. World and tactical. Both Grid like. As you move trough the world you will draw fro encounter decks. There is a good and bad pile. You flip a good/bad luck coin to determine what comes your way. As you move you will find out locations of cities, quest goals etc, to witch you need to travel.

There are two sets of skills for each character.

Encounter skills (the one you use during battle)
World map skills (you use them to aid your travels on world map)

You can assign members of the team to different assignments during travels like
Scouting (allows to surprise enemies and prevents being ambushed)
Resource gathering (water, food, junk,)
Etc.

Each character has a number of personal quests that if solved give them extra abilities and gear. Better than the ones you get leveling and buying gear.

The battle is similar to games like Final Fantasy Tactics. You fight against gangs of different creatures ruling the wasteland.

The goal is to reach the center zone of the world map and find the Last Mans Cave where answers lie.

Any ideas for mechanics/ gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They sound less like classes and more like characters, so I suggest making them full characters.

What's the advantage of having a coin flip, rather than just having one deck with half good and half bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or allow choice, but the good deck will have less valuable encounters.

Lets say

Bad deck
1 city (water, food, junk, weapons)
1 town (food, and water or junk or weapons)
1 hypermarket (water, food, weapons)
1 out of town shopping center (water, food, junk, weapons)
1 petrol station (water, junk)
1 "local" shop (for local people) (water, food, monster)
10 "monsters"

good deck
2 town (food, and water or junk or weapons)
2 village (water or food or junk)
1 petrol station (water, junk)
1 farm (food and water or weapons)
10 allies.

Thus you reflect the fact the more valuable resources will (in effect) have to be fought over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Korwin
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
new user
You can add "Best out of three" mechanic. this way some fields will lean towards good and some towards bad deck.

Also characters such as Mad Immortal Rabbit are chaotic and can be allies once other time enemies. As well as some events can have multiple solution (again - best out of three - Can make some more dangerous, but also sometimes just the opposite).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Korwin
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
new user
As for the locations they will be separate. every time you find a location you need to first travel there. It will stay on the map permanently. Each location is unique and it is related to one of three major regions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wronin wrote:
You can add "Best out of three" mechanic. this way some fields will lean towards good and some towards bad deck.

Best of three is still 50/50, it just takes longer. Unless you mean you're getting more chances to get a good result, and you get to choose which result you take, in which case that makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Also characters such as Mad Immortal Rabbit are chaotic and can be allies once other time enemies. As well as some events can have multiple solution (again - best out of three - Can make some more dangerous, but also sometimes just the opposite).

I can't figure out what you mean by this, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Korwin
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
new user
If you meet Mad Immortal Rabbit you can toss a coin.
If the result is Bad he attacks you.

If Good next time you fight he is an ally. After the fight he runs away to meet you once again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wronin wrote:
If you meet Mad Immortal Rabbit you can toss a coin.
If the result is Bad he attacks you.

If Good next time you fight he is an ally. After the fight he runs away to meet you once again.

Oh, I see. That sounds like he could just be two separate events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Korwin
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
new user
Even more. For special characters like that there can be a whole scenario that bases on meeting them and coin toss.
For example:
You meet with the Mad Immortal Rabbit 3 times (there are 3 event cards)
Each card has two different solutions for the event:Good and Bad)
If you manage to succeed in three of them, depending on how many Good or Bad events you had with Mad Immortal Rabbit you solve his quest in a Good or Bad way.

So for him cards would look like this:

Card 1:
Mad Immortal Rabbit

Solutions:
Good - MIR joins you for the next fight as ally
Bad - MIR joins enemy in the next fight as ally

Card 2:
Mad Immortal Rabbit

Solutions:
Good - MIR Fights you alone. If you win he gives you his Wakizashi
Bad - MIR Fights you alone. for this fight Can be only killed with Hand to Hand

Card 3:
Mad Immortal Rabbit

Solutions:
Good - MIR Follows you for a week. Any enemy group that attack you during that time is halved (round down)
Bad - MIR Follows you for a week. Resource gathering results in death of chosen Rat Pack Member

After playing All three depending on how many good or bad solutions you had you get to play the final "Ending/Solution Card"

Ending/Solution Card:

As you follow the Rabbit tracks you notice a ruin in the distance
/Place Usagi Lab 6 spaces North from your location/

Good:
As you approach the core of the lab you see a slender figure meditating in the middle of the hall.(here you get to listen to the Rabbit's story. It is the rare moment when he is totally sane. He tells you about the way to turn off his Quantum Life Sustaining System and asks you to turn off the machine. As you do it he can finally die.)
Massive EXP bonus plus a skill that you can now use to resurrect fallen members of the Rat Pack.

Bad:

As you approach the core of the lab you see a slender figure meditating in the middle of the hall.(He goes into rage and attacks. You have to defend from his attacks and try to destroy the Quantum Machine that sustains him with life.
Massive EXP bonus plus a skill for Hand To Hand class (if used with his wakizashi it becomes even more powerful) Quantum Slash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wronin wrote:
As for the locations they will be separate. every time you find a location you need to first travel there. It will stay on the map permanently. Each location is unique and it is related to one of three major regions.
How do you determine what they find, the deck?

If so then the bad deck could have more rare resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wronin wrote:
Even more. For special characters like that there can be a whole scenario that bases on meeting them and coin toss.
For example:
You meet with the Mad Immortal Rabbit 3 times (there are 3 event cards)
Each card has two different solutions for the event:Good and Bad)
If you manage to succeed in three of them, depending on how many Good or Bad events you had with Mad Immortal Rabbit you solve his quest in a Good or Bad way.

So for him cards would look like this:

Card 1:
Mad Immortal Rabbit

Solutions:
Good - MIR joins you for the next fight as ally
Bad - MIR joins enemy in the next fight as ally

Card 2:
Mad Immortal Rabbit

Solutions:
Good - MIR Fights you alone. If you win he gives you his Wakizashi
Bad - MIR Fights you alone. for this fight Can be only killed with Hand to Hand

Card 3:
Mad Immortal Rabbit

Solutions:
Good - MIR Follows you for a week. Any enemy group that attack you during that time is halved (round down)
Bad - MIR Follows you for a week. Resource gathering results in death of chosen Rat Pack Member

After playing All three depending on how many good or bad solutions you had you get to play the final "Ending/Solution Card"

Ending/Solution Card:

As you follow the Rabbit tracks you notice a ruin in the distance
/Place Usagi Lab 6 spaces North from your location/

Good:
As you approach the core of the lab you see a slender figure meditating in the middle of the hall.(here you get to listen to the Rabbit's story. It is the rare moment when he is totally sane. He tells you about the way to turn off his Quantum Life Sustaining System and asks you to turn off the machine. As you do it he can finally die.)
Massive EXP bonus plus a skill that you can now use to resurrect fallen members of the Rat Pack.

Bad:

As you approach the core of the lab you see a slender figure meditating in the middle of the hall.(He goes into rage and attacks. You have to defend from his attacks and try to destroy the Quantum Machine that sustains him with life.
Massive EXP bonus plus a skill for Hand To Hand class (if used with his wakizashi it becomes even more powerful) Quantum Slash.

Not sure what the coin toss is adding to this. Just seems to be one more "phase" that adds to game length for no purpose.

Just combine the two decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Korwin
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
new user
Well, if you apply as different rules:

two out of three,

set the different outcome on
three trows/1 success
three trows/2 successes
three trows/3 successes

50/50 toss

it gives you different mathematical sets. If you are really interested you should check out this article:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/66627.html

Basically with different sets of toss mechanics you can set different probability on things to happen. You can also base some skills on flipping one of the outcomes, changing 50/50 to one of three if you fail, etc. That can be skills, items, consumables.

I think keeping all the cards just in the deck evens out the probability for each card.

But I'm not fixed on this method of playing. If you think this will obstruct and slow down the gameplay it will come up in the testing phase. I will defiantly be looking at this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems highly deceptive to call them "Solutions" when you aren't solving anything and don't have any input to the outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Korwin
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
new user
They are solving the quest, but the names for each mechanic/ card needs to be set yet. For now I'm looking for a base set for rules. One for the World Map second for the Tactical Map. I don't go into quest mechanics yet as I decided that I have to create first a working game economy. One that can be influenced in many ways and forces you to use different mechanics to reach your goals.

World Map:

It is going to be grid like with three regions placed as Outer, Middle and Inner.

Each region has its own set of locations to be discovered.
It will create a network of places that you will have to visit in order to finish Quests.

First question is: How do I include Food/Water Mechanic to traveling so it dose not become constant token swapping?

I want some events to use that as currency, but it needs to be "consumable" as well.

I assume that you will loose life if you don't have water and you cannot regenerate if you don't have food. But how about distance?

Should you pay in water tokens for the distance traveled or is it a fixed fee that you pay every 24h Day night Cycle? Or maybe it should always vary on few factors that may change? I don't want traveling to be to complicated since I want to expand more on the Quest/Story part.

Maybe I should just stick to events that require you to pay Water/Food toll and if you are missing some of it it costs you HP. You also have to use Food and Water to "Camp".

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.