Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I care about my games a lot and I go out of my way to keep them in mint condition even after many repeated plays. And as much as I love the idea of metal coins I can't imagine ever using them with my games. I saw plenty of game boards and player boards that my friends own that have scratched and worn out areas from using hard objects such as metal coins or upgraded heavy resources.

I haven't seen a discussion about it on BGG, so I wonder if it's just me or are there other people who avoid upgrading their games with metal coins and other heavy resources (e.g. Scythe) simply to minimize the wear on the cardboard components such as the main board and player boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I rarely play with upgraded components but in the case of Scythe I don't think the coins are a problem as you keep them on or near your player mat. The resources, on the other hand are put (or even dropped !) on the main board some after several plays the metal bars may leave marks but I have not seen them yet on the 2 copies I have played with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about Scythe, but I've had quite a very games with metal coins or other 'resources on the board.

I've actually never seen damage to boards that you speak of and I don't try hard to keep them prestine, are you sure it's the components or maybe it's the quality of newer boards (or players)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had damage to two games (euphoria being one of them) due to heavy pointy components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read (and had) packing issues where a metal or hard component pressed against the board, leaving an indentation. Do you have a plexiglass sheet you can place over your board? Boardgamers may scoff at this, but wargamers use this extensively, since their boards are folded maps of paper: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/914875/plexiglass-how-thick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for Scythe, i don't really keep resources on my player boards

when packing it away, i keep everything bagged so they're no wear and tear while it's in the box

the box is heavy and kind of warps when storing vertically though :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
No problems so far. I tend to keep metal coins off the board. Euporia, we use cheap little plastic tubs to house the resources, which makes for quick set-up/pack away time too.

When putting games that have heavy components in boxes, I sometimes use old punched out token cards to cushion between the board and the heavy stuff, as well as to stop stuff straying around and sometimes I like to have the board on the top rather than bottom. That is often doable if I have the tokens etc in same height containers so they form a sort of base for the board (I usually chunk inserts, e.g. they often don't support sleeved cards).

Those little gold bars for Euphoria are so heavy for the size! I blame Rahdo for making us want the realistic resources. Those bars look so cool in his run-through.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any problem with this when I play with the adults that I play with. Everyone is very careful to handle everything gently, especially, I think, because they know I'm a bit of a freak about stuff like that.

I do sometimes have an issue with damage to components when I play with my grandkids though. They tend to push a little hard when moving pieces around which can scratch or dent the board. They sometimes "fiddle" with the cardboard chits which can cause them to delaminate over time. I cringe a little on the inside when I see this. The trick for me is to find a way to tell them to be gentle without nagging them so much I scare them away from gaming.

Just yesterday, while playing Mechs vs Minions, my ten-year-old grandson was pushing his mech pretty firmly across the board and I don't imagine it would take too much to scratch the shiny oil slicks. I just explained it to him and asked him to push it more lightly. It seemed to work.

I think even in game like Scythe where the realistic resources stay on the board, if everyone is careful, they won't cause any extra damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.