Subject: I never expected to ally with those weird Plant aliens.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Y
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother, my two sons, and I played Eclipse with the Rise of Ancients expansion. The order of seating was my older son N (Planta), my brother (Rho Indi Syndicate), my younger son (Enlightened of Lyra), and me (Hydran Progress). The Ancient Homeworlds were placed between Rho Indi and Lyra, and between Planta and Hydran.

The game began in typical fashion, mostly exploration and a bit of research. Planta, as tends to happen with them, expanded fast. Rho Indi had a bit of bad luck, uncovering an Ancient hive. One of the Ancient ships moved into a Rho Indi sector, wiping out the population. A round later, another ships moved out and joined the Ancient Cruiser in that Homeworld.

Lyra exchanged ambassadors with Hydran, thus providing a degree of comfort about one border. Lyra then exchanged ambassadors with Rho Indi despite some primal memories of distrust of the latter. (This group has played Eclipse together a few times, and only once has anyone earned the Traitor card, that being my brother, who backstabbed my younger son.) Soon after, they entered into an alliance. The bits and pieces of intergalactic gossip that emerged sounded sinister, with hints of Rho Indi looking for free passage toward Hydran space....

With Planta having taken over eight sectors already, and with a humming economy, Hydran Progress accepted Planta's offer of a counteralliance. As expected, Hydran was the most scientifically advanced species, generating scientific research to acquire two technologies each round. With the alliance with Planta, Hydran's only possible enemy - Rho Indi - was located on the other side of the galaxy.

Planta was uncharacteristically aggressive, perhaps because their ships were equipped with sentient hull, and they marched into the middle sector to take on the Ancient Dreadnought. Although Planta suffered some losses, the invading fleet was big enough to prevail.

(Hydran had recommended against this move that early, but Hydran are peaceful....)

Here's how things looked after six rounds. Hydran are white, Planta are black (shouldn't they be green?), Rho Indi is green, and Lyra is blue.

Here's Hydran's board at the same time (ignore the Traitor card; that's just where it was sitting for the duration of the game):

We had to call a time out because the Enlightened of Lyra had to go to bed. The next day, we couldn't finish in the morning because the Michigan-Ohio State football game was on TV, and Rho Indi wanted to watch it without distraction.

So ... in the afternoon, we picked up where we left off. Lyra and Hydran had an interesting dilemma - we were in opposite alliances but couldn't attack each other without getting the Traitor card. Rho Indi tried to encourage Lyra - which had acquired wormhole generator technology via shrines by then - to move through Rho Indi space and attack Planta's "soft underbelly."

Hydran finally got around to building some fusion-powered cruisers, which had positron computers and gauss shields. One ventured into an Ancient sector and blasted the ship there, discovering a much better shield technology, which was integrated into Hydran cruisers. The next round, Hydran tried taking on the Ancient Homeworld in between Hydran and Planta space with two cruisers, and came so close to winning the battle ... but no. Hydran was a scientifically advanced society, but not when it came to offensives weapons technology, since it was still using outdated ion cannons.

Meanwhile, there were some interspecies skirmishes going on, including one ridiculous battle where Planta and Lyra each needed a 6 to hit the other, and had to keep rolling and rolling and rolling and rolling ... (yawn).

The last round was spectacularly violent, as is often the case in Eclipse. Planta had built four starbases in the center sector and felt secure enough to invade Lyran space. Lyra and Rho Indi moved ships in to defend the sector - along with the four Lyran starbases. Meanwhile, Lyra finally took up Rho Indi's suggestion of invading Planta space, but with only a lone interceptor. Hydran moved four cruisers into the Ancient Homeworld sector to take on the Ancient Cruiser, and Rho Indi, sensing Hydran weakness, invaded the Hydran edge sector with a single cruiser. Hydran had an interceptor there, but quickly built a dreadnought, which was upgraded with an antimatter cannon (having learned from the disastrous earlier encounter with the Ancient Cruiser).

[The Rho Indi invasion settled a tough choice that Hydran had been weighing - whether to research the discovery tile that gave an extra VP for each controlled sector with the star symbol; or to crash research a bunch of top row tech to get another VP that way, while building flux-missile armed interceptors. Hydran opted for the first course, while then building and upgrading the dreadnought.)

Final battle results: in the Lyran sector that Planta invaded, the plants gloriously wiped out all Lyran and Rho Indi ships and bases. Planta repelled the Lyran invasion in that faraway sector. Hydran destroyed the Ancient Cruiser with no losses - alas, the discovery tile was a +3 computer... too late to be of any use - and successfully destroyed the invading Rho Indi at the cost of a brave interceptor pilot.

Hydran's economy tanked after that flurry of moves, and had to pull back from a couple of underproductive sectors, but managed to balance the budget.

Final score:

Hydran-Planta alliance = 41 (42 Hydran, 41 Planta)
Rho Indi-Lyra alliance = 26 (28 Rho Indi, 25 Lyra)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
doggie bear wrote:
Here's how things looked after six rounds. Hydran are white, Planta are black (shouldn't they be green?), Rho Indi is green, and Lyra is blue.

Huh. Weird. Not that it remotely matters, but all the races have colors themes that match their illustrations to ship sets--Hydran are blue, Planta are green, Rho Indi is gray, Lyra is tan (And Eridani are red, Mechanema are white, Draco are yellow, Orion are black sort of by default based on everyone else).

I mean, like, it doesn't matter at all what colors are used with what teams, but those are the general color to team matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colors are suggested, but not required. My group plays with whatever color the player prefers all the time. I'm usually white regardless of race, my one friend is usually yellow, etc.

( This is even more apparent with SotR, as those races don't come with cubes/ships )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
Colors are suggested, but not required.

Sure. As noted in my post, it doesn't actually matter, and folks can do whatever they want with the sets.

That being said, it makes looking at posted pictures of games a lot easier to understand if folks tend to use the standard colors (i.e. if yellow is Draco and green is Planta; if you have to say "Blue is Planta and Black is Hydra", it makes session reports like this more confusing to follow if pictures are included...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.