Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Arking
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
So I played Cthulhu in my last game. Got the Stars are Right neutral spell books and basically threw Cthulhu into mutually destructive fights. Used his immortality to generate Elder Signs and power through the Stars are Right spell book. I killed two other GOOs...which neither was able to come back from. Last round, everyone threw everything at me, but I was able to hold on to one gate and win. So this brings me to the question. It seems loosing a GOO (except for Cthulhu) is very devastating and hard to come back from with other skilled players. Am I missing something or is killing other GOOs a pretty dominant strategy? Also, are you basically out of the game if your GOO is killed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even close, unless you're Yellow Sign and lose the King with too many gates on the map. Even then it's generally better not to kick someone who is down unless you're sure they have enough Elder Signs to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's totally dependent on the game state. If you go early on say, Hastur, you probably have an almost impossible chance of winning but it totally just depends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the faction and game-state. As a rule of thumb, losing your GOO is okay-ish if you either have another GOO, or can afford to re-Awaken them before the end of the round.

As you've said, losing Cthulhu is generally okay, but if you end a round without him and can't benefit from Yha'Nthlei, then you might be in serious trouble.

Black Goat is deceptively expensive (really costs 10, but if you don't bring those Cultists back the same round, the cost effectively rises to 11 or 12), and arguably her 2 most important spellbooks (Thousand Young and Blood Sacrifice) require her to be in play. Every time I've seen Black Goat lose Shubs and not quickly bring her back, the faction has melted in presence and score.

Nyarlathotep might actually be okay to lose, especially if you got Power and/or Elder Signs in the process. And it might even be okay to not bring him back the same round, since Invisibility, Seek & Destroy, and Flight are effective defensive abilities that don't require him. Plus, even if you almost drain yourself bringing him back the next round, you can use Thousand Forms and Harbinger to maybe scratch back some power for the turn.

Losing the King in Yellow usually isn't a big deal, though it's a huge drain on your economy if it happens more than once. Losing Hastur is a massive blow, but I've also seen players take pity on Yellow Sign after that, which they then used to still win.

Tsathoggua is on the cheaper side of GOOs, but Sleeper is also an expensive faction to play (especially getting all those Spellbooks), so they'd have to be doing fairly well to recover from losing him (or use Ancient Sorcery to steal Cthulhu's ability). But with Demand Sacrifice, Energy Nexus, and Burrow, he's one of the most defensible GOOs.

Yog-Sothoth is also on the cheaper side (assuming you're acquiring the requisite Spawn via Million Favored Ones), but actually isn't a huge deal to lose, since no abilities rely on him. It's still good to have the extra GOO to protect from Captures and get an Elder Sign in the Doom phase, and the extra Gate for points.

Rhan-Tegoth is also not a big deal to lose, since nothing hinges on him. Ithaqua is a little tougher to lose, since his requirements are more specific, but sometimes you can leverage that into popping an Enemy Gate (or even Yog-Sothoth), so there can be a silver lining to re-Awakening him. However, you do want at least either Rhan or Ithaqua around, since Windwalker frequently wins via multiple cheap Rituals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm missing something...but how can you have "an extra GOO"?

Is this from one of the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow Sign (base game) and Windwalker (faction expansion) both have 2 GOOs. If one dies, but you have the other, you can still be okay, but losing both is usually catastrophic. The other reason why you want at least 1 GOO is to help protect from Capture by enemy GOOs, plus the Elder Sign if you perform a Ritual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Lovejay
Canada
West of Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Yus haz won eet!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something...but how can you have "an extra GOO"?

Is this from one of the expansions?

The neutral GOOs from the expansions. The first Cthulhu Wars KS has delivered all the addons that were in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
It also of course depends on when it happens. I think everyone who plays CW on a regular basis has seen someone lose Nyarlathotep or whatever on the last turn of the game and still win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Arking
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Agree with losing GOO last round not devastating. However, with the exception of Cthulhu and maybe the king in yellow, losing your GOO mid game is devastating. I wonder if having the neutral GOOs offsets this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mb
In my games when someone loses a GOO the rest of the players tend to ease up on them and prioritize attacking other strong players. Also, in my games people love trying to target each others' GOOs and kill them. It's not unusual for everyone to lose a GOO at least once. But that may just be how we play. We love lots of fighting and interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.