Subject: Ancestry DNA For the win, again! Re: Lenny rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
We all know of Lenny's great story of his re-uniting of family. Me being one of them.

Today is another win for my side. My grandfather, who I loved to no end, was a sorry SOB to a lot of people.

I've told this story before, he married my grandma and had 4 kids, including my dad. When my dad was nine my grandfather abandoned the family and moved to Ohio. There he got married, and had another child, my aunt Sherry. Then he got married a 2nd time, and had another daughter, Lisa. Then he abandoned that family, and came back and re-married my grandmother and they remained married till he died in 2003. He and I were very close, he loved me to no end...but on the flip side, he HATED everyone else. A hard men.

I digress. It was Lisa who this story was about. My aunt Lisa I never knew. After my grandpa abandoned that family, they completely disconnected from our side of the family, and I never knew them.

Fast forward to last night. I get an email from Ancestry from a Melissa saying our DNA results were so close, we had to be first cousins, or siblings. I thought, how weird. I have never heard of her.

Then we found out that her grandfather and mine was the very same. This was the daughter of the missing aunt, Lisa.

It's so awesome reconnecting to family torn asunder because of the shitty behaviors of the last generations.

Now I have another first cousin that I never even knew existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay Cousin!! These stories make me happy!

This year I found my father's family, and to no surprise, they were not anxious to know about me. (After all, my mother was "the other woman" to that family.) I have 3 half-brothers there, 2 of which are dead, and the living brother wants no contact with me. However, the (adopted) daughter of one of my brothers has been very generous in sharing family stories, and other nieces have sent pictures to me.

Congrats, Michael! I'm excited for you and your new connections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
LennyS wrote:
Yay Cousin!! These stories make me happy!

This year I found my father's family, and to no surprise, they were not anxious to know about me. (After all, my mother was "the other woman" to that family.) I have 3 half-brothers there, 2 of which are dead, and the living brother wants no contact with me. However, the (adopted) daughter of one of my brothers has been very generous in sharing family stories, and other nieces have sent pictures to me.

Congrats, Michael! I'm excited for you and your new connections.

I find it so perplexing how people treat blood kin for no other reason than for the sins of our fathers. Adopted, out of infidelity, or otherwise. If I had a brother or sister out there, I would want to know them and include them in my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.