$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49% of Goal | left

Support:

Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying Frog's webstore just put up pre-orders for some new card-packs, but also restocked nearly all of the Gencon Preview classes. I was thinking of getting a couple, but was wondering what players thoughts were on them?

They currently have, Orphan, Prospector, Frontier Doc, Jargono Native, Cowboy, and Drifter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
In order of what I've liked the most:
Orphan - has a tragic past they can explore and "grows up" into another classs
Drifter - takes more XP to level up but has cool skills to balance it
Cowboy - Has a lasso and a fun tree involving a skill called "Giddy'Up"...
Jargono Native - Decent melee or ranged with some flexible skills.
Frontier Doc - Mad scientist skills and party healing. Good for large parties.
Prospector - Good melee and additional money/darkstone collection, for the gamer who needs to get more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also recommend Orphan as the most interesting class.

1. Orphan
2. Doc
3. Cowboy
4. Drifter
5. Prospector
6. Jargono Native
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me the Cowboy, the Doc, and the Prospector bring in the most heavily thematic roles. The Cowboy has a great feel as a trick shooter, and lasso artist. His/her upgrades are strong, and the work well with the party. The Doc gives a really interesting take on a support/mad tinkerer character. You will definitely feel like you've got several paths you can go with the doc, the only other character I feel has that kind of flexibility is the Bandido. Finally the Prospector gives you that real heavy melee hero, and they are great at accumulating money, side bag tokens, and other loot. You've got the greedy, crazy, or scavenger route to take.

For the Drifter, there is definitely a feel of a strong Outsider. He adds travel encounters to every travel, which is a pain to go through 4+ every time you go to a medium or larger town. He adds the extra elite ability which makes the first few adventures really tough. This settles down after the posse is level 3 (level 2 for the Drifter). However, this class is such an icon that the mechanism might feel just right for you. Kind of like playing a Drow Elf. If you are really into the image of the High Plains Drifter, this is the route to go.

The Orphan is interesting in that they are essentially a multi-class, a bit cumbersome to have them grow up and some times you will fail miserably until you are level 4 when you auto grow up and get to pick your second class. The Orphan upgrades are okay, but for some reason, I feel the need to get him to grow up. This can be made easier by investing in the "Grown up fast" ability, but that burns one of your upgrades to help you get to your second class earlier.

The Jargono Native is pretty cool, I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason I enjoy the Cowboy, Prospector, or Doc more. They bring in some cool abilities being Tribal, and having some abilities that key off of their tribal keyword items where the amount of tribal items make them stronger. With a bow and strong melee they can be fun.

That said, make sure you have the Frontier Town to really enjoy these classes. The Prospector gets a lot better with the addition of the side bag tokens, the Jargono Native benefits from the Indian Trading Post, and well every body else benefits one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Andrea, but WHY do you like the Doc 2nd best? The Cowboy's skills just make me giggle and I love the models for the Native, which is why I ranked them higher. (I'm honestly curious as I liked the Doc but wasn't inspired.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I like the Drifter quite a bit, but the abovementioned Orphan is also a great class. The Jargono Native has a lot of unusual play alternatives, as a close-combat monster (with some fun RP options), while the Cowboy has some unique abilities surrounding his lasso, and in some skill trees can even start riding monsters around. The Frontier Doc is a fabulous support character, while the Prospector is a melee beast who is great at finding new stuff all the time.

There's not a bad class among them, or a bad choice to be made; if you think a class sounds interesting, I doubt you'd be disappointed in the purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dverning wrote:
Andrea, but WHY do you like the Doc 2nd best? The Cowboy's skills just make me giggle and I love the models for the Native, which is why I ranked them higher. (I'm honestly curious as I liked the Doc but wasn't inspired.)

All the DOC upgrade skills are interesting, each build feel strong and cool. The ability to heal makes him a great support character and he can be a melee monster! He can also potentially reach Def 3.

Another path I like is the tinkerer. Makes the whole party stronger! +1 damage to everyone's weapon is HUGE. And plus 1 HP to every slot capable item is HUGE as well!

Thematically, he reminds me the bounty hunter doctor archetype of some western movies and videogames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much guys... I ended up going with... ALL of them. :-p The wife and I are madly in love with SoB, and eventually intend to buy everything, and so far, only FFP webstore items like classes, and card-packs end up being difficult to find (so I should get them while I have the chance).

So, here's a question... has anyone found interesting "end goals" to give yourself a "final" objective before considering a campaign or group of heroes "done"?

Incidentally the list of what we own so far...

- Cities of Ancients: Core Set
- Swamps of Death: Core Set

- Frontier Towns (Expansion)
- Cowboy (Hero Class)
- Drifter (Hero Class)
- Frontier Doc (Hero Class)
- Jargono Native (Hero Class)
- Orphan (Hero Class)
- Prospector (Hero Class)

- Serpentmen of Jargono (Deluxe Enemy Expansion)
- Swamp Slugs of Jargono (Enemy Expansion)
- Harvesters (Enemy Expansion)
- Masters of the Void (Deluxe Enemy Expansion)

- Ancient Terrors (Card Supplement)
- Blood Money (Card Supplement)
- Murky Confrontations (Card Supplement)
- Badlands Expedition (Card Supplement w/Adventure)
- Targa Artifacts Supplement (Card Supplement)
- Jargono Artifacts Supplement (Card Supplement)
- Edge of the Abyss (Card Supplement)
- Treasures of the Void (Card Supplement)
- Dead Man's Bounty (Card Supplement)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
Neomaxim, check this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-b...

Still 2 days to back this Kickstarter that will add A LOT to expand your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh i've been in for Shogun since Day 1. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd number the doc at 1.
All of his trees are super interesting and thematic.
And he's a great combo of melee death machine and support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
So, here's a question... has anyone found interesting "end goals" to give yourself a "final" objective before considering a campaign or group of heroes "done"?

Just for myself, I actively don't want "end goals" for my characters; I want an ongoing serial, not a single story with a set end. But doesn't the Hexcrawl fan supplement give a final objective?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andvice wrote:
Neomaxim, check this:

Shogun here as well. On the hero side of things I'm looking forward to giving the Sumo hero a try. Hes the only hero that's on a LARGE base.

I ran a poll for which hero people are looking the most forward to (you can check it out here if you want to)

For the lazy it goes in this order
Trederran Veteran
Sumo
Travelling Monk
Daimyo

As far as the unreleased (but coming soon) classes go I think I am most looking forward to the Frontier Doc. Not really sure why, but it just has a look and feel of being a bit different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the all new classes guys? Shama, Gambler, Samurai?

With the Trederran Defector coming in '18, it's hard to tell if I'm most exited about that or the Shaman.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the shaman.

(Shogun here)

wylde_karde wrote:
andvice wrote:
Neomaxim, check this:

Shogun here as well. On the hero side of things I'm looking forward to giving the Sumo hero a try. Hes the only hero that's on a LARGE base.

I ran a poll for which hero people are looking the most forward to (you can check it out here if you want to)

For the lazy it goes in this order
Trederran Veteran
Sumo
Travelling Monk
Daimyo

As far as the unreleased (but coming soon) classes go I think I am most looking forward to the Frontier Doc. Not really sure why, but it just has a look and feel of being a bit different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.