6 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » General

Subject: I think I have made an error rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We've just finished playing "the night is dark" scenario, we needed to survive 10 turns in hardcore mode, we played as a 2 player co-op.
Most of the zombies we killed were by using equipped cards which stated that no exposure dice should be rolled, we assumed that it meant that we need not apply the frostbite counter. Did we do wrong?
In addition to this we made use of the grenade launcher card which took out 2 zombies per turn, rules were a bit vague about this so we fired it from the colony at zombies in other locations. I wonder, did we do wrong here too?
We won quite comfortably which is why I feel the need to question what we did. however one failed crisis did kill 3 survivors quite early in the game due to being over run and dropped morale to a scary level.
Thoughts please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno kowalski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Note that killing with grenade launcher isnt strictly attack action (you dont use dice). Unlike killing with Assault rifle which is attack action.
In my opinion you should get frostbite every time you perform attack action, regardless of you roll for exposure or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
yes, that is a good point. I am also slightly concerned about using the grenade launcher as some sort of "off board" artillery. I realise that it throws grenades but did we make unfair use of it?
We did have some luck regarding cards, we were able to elect one member as overall leader which helped with the crisis and several "passive" skills really helped out a lot. e.g. Rocco stayed in the colony the whole game and prevented zombies getting to the entrances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno kowalski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
redimpz wrote:
In addition to this we made use of the grenade launcher card which took out 2 zombies per turn, rules were a bit vague about this so we fired it from the colony at zombies in other locations. I wonder, did we do wrong here too?

I think its quite good idea. Nothing is unfair here. The best weapon in the game. You kill 2 zombies and dont use action die. The biggest disadvantage is that you cant fire to colony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I had Rocco in the colony, his passive effect stops 2 zombies per turn so as long as there are no more than 4 survivors we got no new zombies, I also used any low dice to barricade. bandits were dealt with by allowing a location to over run to kill the bandit then reducing the zombies with the grenade launcher. ( we had 2 launchers by the end of the game).
My only concern is that as we tended to use passive effects to kill zombies we didn't add the frostbite. I now feel that we should have done so, especially if a dice was required.
Only our third game, still a bit to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have it directly in front of me, but I would assume passive effects were ok EXCEPT for actual "super zombies." All Raxxon zombies must be attacked with an attack action.

I would have to see the actual wording on the objective card to rule either way, but if it says you take frostbite when a zombie is defeated, I would think it would be regardless of method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.