mb
Imagine the following situation:

a
W
b
c

a, b, c = characters
W = wall

In this situation, if we remove b, then a has line of sight to c, correct?
But if b is there, then a doesn't have line of sight to c, because it's blocked by b, correct?
But then, a doesn't have line of sight to b either, because it's blocked by the wall, correct?

This is kind of a logically weird situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upload a picture. I can Make a better description then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very famous loophole of the "center to center" type of LoS rule on a square grid (Space Hulk players have been exploiting it since 1990). It can be rationalized by thinking of it as kind of a special, sneaky formation (i.e. Characters position their bodies to hide them all when in such a formation, while they're caught unprepared when there isn't a chain of hidden hiding characters). It's weird when you think about it in a static manner, but we all know that the simulated situation is more fluid, and in flux. Truth be said, that's kind of a rare situation in most games, and it's not that hard to bypass.

So yes, it's weird, and yes, it's totally how it works. If you don't like it, there's the famous house rule to fix it : LoS can't be blocked by figures you don't have LoS to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Paptimus wrote:
So yes, it's weird, and yes, it's totally how it works. If you don't like it, there's the famous house rule to fix it : LoS can't be blocked by figures you don't have LoS to.

And I'd suggest using that houserule. I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
Paptimus wrote:

And I'd suggest using that houserule. I do.

Then I guess that makes it an official house rule, if that's a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
yes. But I still wouldn't say that it's official rule, as I know some prefer to play without the houserule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
SW: Imperial Assault had a similar problem with one hero. Its special ability was the figure is invisible for anyone in range 4 and higher. Players argued, that he can not be attacked as he is invisible, but also prevents attacks to figures behind it.

My group will probably use this exploit, if possible. I will add it to the dirty tricks list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmo Viitanen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks.

That's a good house rule. On the other hand the spirit of the game seems to exploit enemy rules as much as possible, and the game seems hard as it is... : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Singbird wrote:
Thanks.

That's a good house rule. On the other hand the spirit of the game seems to exploit enemy rules as much as possible, and the game seems hard as it is... : )

Well understood, and true indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.