$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.3% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I wasn't impressed by a couple of the new Haunts, but I especially liked this one.

When the Haunt began little Missy was in the basement, Jenny LeClerc, the devilish Fiend, was also in the Basement, and Professor Longfellow was up on the roof.

Missy scooped up one of the Tomes of Lore, as did Professor Longfellow. The Fiend pursued Missy, and she faced a choice: She could use her Superior speed to pull herself up a dumbwaiter and keep ahead of the Traitor, she could retreat back to the man-eating Audrey II she'd fed blood to tame and rely on it to protect her, or she could sit tight and read the Tome.

Despite my encouragement to read the Tome and take one for the team, for the good of humanity, she fled upward through the dumbwaiter, while the Professor heroically read his Tome.

First difficulty, for Heroes: Maybe no no one else would get confused by this, but it took us Heroes a while to work out the Brimstone Square. The way it works is that the Fiend's name is in the Square, read from left to right; however, the letters to the name are not in the same row. So, each time the Fiend gives you a letter, you have to look and see which column has the named letter, and thus fit the letter into the proper place in the five space spelling of the name.

So then the Fiend came after the Professor, who put his money where his mouth is and stayed still, reading the next tome he had picked up. Fortunately, the Professor was able to fight off the Possession attempt and led the Fiend on a merry chase, while Missy scooped up another Tome and read it.

Second difficulty, due solely to our Traitor's missing a line: The Fiend cannot touch the Tomes, as it notes in his section, but Possessed Heroes can. The Secrets of Survival Tome tells Heroes how they can destroy a Tome if they get possessed, presumably as soon as they enter the named rooms.

Because the Fiend missed this part, he had grabbed two of the Tomes himself. In a very cinematic twist, Professor Longfellow found and sought refuge in the Chapelsurprise! Despite my warnings to the demon, he attacked me in the very House of God, and of course was defeated!

I wanted my fellow Hero to sit still, but she wanted to explore and found the Tree House, which would give the Demon on the roof direct access to her. Fortunately the Fiend continued to concentrate on me.

Now, in the Chapel, the Professor struck a blow for good and snagged one of the Tomes from the Fiend! Missy deciphered the fourth Tome, and now we were merely one letter away from learning the Fiend's True Name!

In desperation the Fiend struck physically with her Chainsaw, hoping to regain the Tome, but was warded off by symbols drawn in Chalk. Deciphering the last name, Professor Longfellow shouted it there in the Chapel, trapping the Fiend once more!

Despite the misunderstandings, it was a fun, imaginative and tense Haunt which I was happy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomislav Simic
Serbia
flag msg tools
My crew did not enjoy this one at all.

Fiend had no idea about destroying tomes, as two of the possessed heroes said nothing about it, this is due to missing info in survival/betrayal tomes.

Four of the survivors could not figure out how to decipher the name (even after discovering all letters) as the table is 5x5, it might have made more sense if they did not draw the horizontal lines.

The session was on for 3 hours when we called it quit, no one won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked this one, it was close for me. Both kids died in my version. One kid was possessed and had two of the tomes stashed away in a basement room to keep them from the heroes, but was killed by one of the heroes and the tomes were then decoded. The other kid was killed by a possessed Ox Bellows. Ultimately the name was decoded and the haunt banished.

How do you destroy tomes? One book hints that it is possible, but the other book fails to mention how, so I played that they could not be destroyed. It led to a close game when I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
nickgb wrote:
I liked this one, it was close for me. Both kids died in my version. One kid was possessed and had two of the tomes stashed away in a basement room to keep them from the heroes, but was killed by one of the heroes and the tomes were then decoded. The other kid was killed by a possessed Ox Bellows. Ultimately the name was decoded and the haunt banished.

How do you destroy tomes? One book hints that it is possible, but the other book fails to mention how, so I played that they could not be destroyed. It led to a close game when I played.

It isn't as clear as it should be, unfortunately. It says Tomes can be destroyed in the Kitchen or Furnace, to logically it's just a matter of taking a Tome to one of those rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.