Subject: Good two player "out of the box" competitive deck builder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
Hi chaps!

Me and Mrs Hippy love a deck builder but seem to only have co-op ones, with Legendary encounters:Alien being a real favourite.

I was wondering if you guys can recommend a two player deck builder where you face off? to clarify, by deckbuilder I do mean in the traditional sense - not prebuilding decks (we have Netrunner for that), but instead something where we start in the same boat and build as part of the game.

Is a smash Up the thing we want? or maybe a few acres of snow? Not Star realms, I found it a bit flat, same with ascension....

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Suchanek
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing you can do is go with the daddy - Dominion - it's easy to teach, offers a lot of replayability out of the box and if you want to do so it is easily expandable.
Smash up is not really a deck-builder and AFAoS is a big, heavy game with a lot of board play - a great game but not really a "pure" deck-builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Howard
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ramble
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I really enjoy Baseball Highlights: 2045. It's a fun, competitive deck builder designed for 2p gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a good experience with Valley of the Kings: Afterlife : it's thematic (without fantasy/sci-fi), and packs a lot of game in a small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1000 on Valley of the Kings: Afterlife, it's my favourite deck builder.

I also highly enjoy Mystic Vale.

If you want a deck builder where the deckbuilding is just means to an end, I highly recommend Super Motherload - you need to build the deck in order to mine the most ores and get the most achievements. Excellent game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about A Few Acres of Snow?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van Overberghe
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Star Realms is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
If you found Star Realms flat, then I would suggest: Puzzle Strike. It is my personal favorite deckbuilder for 2player competitveness, although I worry that the assymetric starting conditions of having character chips may not meet your criteria.

Smash Up definitely does not meet your criteria: you don't build your deck during play -- instead you each choose two factions and shuffle all the cards from those factions together. So it's effectively the simplest possible way to draft customizable decks.

Valley of the Kings has a couple very interesting design decisions, and it's worth taking a closer look at -- but I have only played it twice, so I don't know how much strategic depth or replay value it has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Star Realms and Baseball Highlights.

Hands in the Sea if you want A Few Acres of Snow experience, without the total brokenness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the recommendations above.

If you thought Star realms and Ascension were flat, I have a hard time imagining Mystic Vale blowing your skirt up unless you LOVE the card crafting mechanic.

What part of the others "fell flat"?

If it's theme that's weaker, I'd warn that the coop deck builders have some of the best theme out there. The more competitive ones the theme gets lighter. Others may disagree but that's my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.