Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump turning away intelligence briefers since election win
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump has received two classified intelligence briefings since his surprise election victory earlier this month, a frequency that is notably lower — at least so far — than that of his predecessors, current and former U.S. officials said.

A team of intelligence analysts has been prepared to deliver daily briefings on global developments and security threats to Trump in the two weeks since he won. Vice President-elect Mike Pence, by contrast, has set aside time for intelligence briefings almost every day since the election, officials said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, yet another way he's just like Obama.

Why don't you love him? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Just like Reagan, you mean. Who skipped 99% of the oral presidential daily briefings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Fits my theory that he was never really that interested in doing the job of the president. As long as Pence lets him run his grafts, T will be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
It's akin of some 'host' refusing their "brain transplant" while at least HE is then zombie-'averse', so, there's THAT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
Drew1365 wrote:

From the linked article:
Quote:
After his election in 2008, President Obama took part not only in regular intelligence briefings but also scheduled “deep dives” on key subjects including Iran’s nuclear program and covert CIA operations, including the accelerating campaign of drone strikes in Pakistan.

“During the transition, President Obama was an avid consumer of intelligence,” said retired Lt. Gen. Michael V. Hayden, who was CIA director when Obama was elected.

Do you have any sources suggesting otherwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:

Real sources or 'legit' sources?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Drew1365 wrote:

Yeah, the 'Negative/Obverse'-Obama so, you're welcome Colin K.? thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes sense as only a few weeks ago President Elect Trump was reportedly surprised by the fact he has to hire 4,000 staffers for the white house by January 20th.

He's probably ass deep now. He's going to have to delegate like crazy and the Bush's don't seem prone to help him out of his mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
This makes sense as only a few weeks ago President Elect Trump was reportedly surprised by the fact he has to hire 4,000 staffers for the white house by January 20th.

It seems very odd to me: are all the staff politicized ?
Can they be kept from a president to an other ?
Are there really 4 000 councillors/chief of something/..., in the White House ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Yep, for sure. It adds up. This number includes National Security Council staff, Council of Economic Advisers, White House Staff, Office of Management and Budget, the Office of the US Trade Representative, and a bunch more.

This doesn't include security, cooks, butlers, and the like - those folks generally stay on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Xahendir wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Yep, for sure. It adds up. This number includes National Security Council staff, Council of Economic Advisers, White House Staff, Office of Management and Budget, the Office of the US Trade Representative, and a bunch more.

This doesn't include security, cooks, butlers, and the like - those folks generally stay on.

Ok, "staffers for the white house" was misleading for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow me with your outrage of Obama skipping tons of these briefings. Don't worry, I'll wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
What, exactly, do you suppose needs his immediate attention? Can't Obama be trusted for another couple months?

Another point. A classified briefing can't be conducted just anywhere. I know you are all experts on classified information and have deemed Clinton innocent, but it would probably be a major hassle to get such a briefing in the midst of everything else he's doing. It ain't like he's living in a SCIF as he will be in a couple months.

What will they tell him today that Obama will seek his counsel on if he was consulted?

Obama is going to do what he is going to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Why don't you love him? :cry:

From the linked article:
Quote:
After his election in 2008, President Obama took part not only in regular intelligence briefings but also scheduled “deep dives” on key subjects including Iran’s nuclear program and covert CIA operations, including the accelerating campaign of drone strikes in Pakistan.

“During the transition, President Obama was an avid consumer of intelligence,” said retired Lt. Gen. Michael V. Hayden, who was CIA director when Obama was elected.

TheDashi wrote:
Wow me with your outrage of Obama skipping tons of these briefings. Don't worry, I'll wait.

~~Dashi, I presume the question still stands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it too early to start labeling certain RSPers as "Trump-lickers"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
What, exactly, do you suppose needs his immediate attention? Can't Obama be trusted for another couple months?

Another point. A classified briefing can't be conducted just anywhere. I know you are all experts on classified information and have deemed Clinton innocent, but it would probably be a major hassle to get such a briefing in the midst of everything else he's doing. It ain't like he's living in a SCIF as he will be in a couple months.

What will they tell him today that Obama will seek his counsel on if he was consulted?

Obama won't seek his counsel but Trump should not expect that he can just call him up in two months when there is an issue he has no clue about.

Getting up to speed on national security and international threats to the US with close to zero previous experience in those fields is hardly done overnight. Not to mention that this knowledge should also point him to the kind of expertise he should be looking for in at least some of his staffers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Shouldn't the incoming president be, you know, prepared for the job?

Also, from the WaPo articled linked in my OP, it seems that Pence is able to make time.
Quote:
Vice President-elect Mike Pence, by contrast, has set aside time for intelligence briefings almost every day since the election, officials said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
Obama won't seek his counsel but Trump should not expect that he can just call him up in two months when there is an issue he has no clue about.

Not sure why he'd call Obama, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

I mean, yeah, Obama is still the president for another month and change and I'm sure that'll be fine.

Trump is pretty much the least experienced president coming into office when we're talking about international policy. I think that's a given, and his "outsider" status was a big part of his appeal. That said, he's about to step into what is, I think we all agree, a pretty big job. He's gotta get up to speed. I don't think any previous president-elect has ever not done it so why, exactly, should he skip 'em?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Donald wrote:

They 'aspire' from being JUST & ONLY plain "rump-lickers"! C they 'got' a 'microbadge' yet googoo "Avocado Goggles" sold separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
What, exactly, do you suppose needs his immediate attention?…
Learning what he needs to know to make informed choices in order to do the bloody job he was elected to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:

I think it goes well beyond licking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You mean refusing American intelligence briefings?

He has another friend who gives him all the briefings he needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.