Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: First game played - a few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Silva
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi, folks.

I just played my first game of Conan today, and I got a few questions I didn't really find answers to in the books. Hope you guys can help:

1. In the YouTube gameplay video (with the developer) I seem to notice that when a ranged attack is made they count spaces in order to see whether the attack hits or not. But in the rulebook I can only find this rule regarding 'Throwing an Object' - not when making a ranged attack.

So is the ranged attack made just as a regular melee attack whitout range (# of spaces) taking into account?

2. I have a very hard time understading why the turn marker has to be advanced at the start of the Overlord turn. To me that means I advance the marker in the middle of a full game turn? Or did I misunderstand the process?

The marker starts at 0. After the heroes are done, the Overlord moves the marker to 1. When the Overlord is done, then both heroes and Overlord have had their turns.... Isn't THAT the end of round 1? If so, it makes absolutely no sense to me that marker is advanced by the Overlord and not advanced at the start of the heroes turn.

And if I have misunderstood - then it means that the first turn ends when the turn marker is moved, meaning that the so called round 0 only consists of a hero turn - or what? I find it VERY VERY confusing that the advancement of the turn marker is done at that point. Very illogical compared to every other game I have played.

3. Giving, taking and equpping items - I suppose that if Hero A spends a gem on GIVING an item to Hero B - then Hero B speds NO gem taking it, right? Because if so, then why not just have Hero A dropping the item and then having Hero B picking it up? That would cost one less gem (in total), I believe?

4. Armor and Guard - Do I understand correctly that the Armor bonus is only assigned when NOT guarding? - And it CANNOT be added to a defense that include guard dice?

5. Starting equipment and starting spells - In every scenario is a suggestion for which heroes to play and what equipment/spells to give them... If I wanted to play another magic-user than Hadrathus in the 'Clutches of the Picts'-scenario - would you guys simply assign the exact same amount/type of spells to the new mage? If not, how do you guys decide how many spells to give a different mage - or what equipment to assign to other heroes as well? I have a hard time changing the 'recommendations' for the starting line-up as I believe the developers put some thought into what and who to use?

Woa. That was a lot!

Thanks for reading - and please don't TL;DR me on this

Best regards
Freddy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The play area is only small so range is not an issue, just use LOS.

2. You are correct, basically the heroes get an extra turn.

3. A character drops the item for free, the other spends a gem to pick it up.

4. You add armour dice to guard dice, badly written, confusing rule.

5. Just take what feel right. It would be impossible for them to list every combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick diederiks
msg tools
1. you probably watched a youtube film were the developer talked about the BETA testing rules. That video contains some differences with the actual printed rules. Yes indeed: LOS is what you need to use

2. Rules as written say that the Overlord moves the turn marker 1 space at the start of His turn.
most scenario's however tells the hero's to begin, but there are also scenario's were the OL begins.
If the Hero's start they do have an extra turn indeed.

3. giving an item cost a gem, receiving an item is free, so if they are in the same area the item can be given, if they are not in the same area, 1 hero drops the item for free, another moves in and pick it up for 1 gem.

4. yes you add up
If you have an Equipment card the roll of that dice and Defence rolls with dice you buy with gems in the defence space of the character sheet.

5. indeed the developers put their thoughts in these scenario's :-)
However you are of course free to experiment with other combinations.
Balance is the trick.
For a start you can try the first scenario with another Conan, the one who has not the wall wrecker skill and see how it plays.
(I tell you it is different :-) )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Silva
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thanks a bunch for the answers.

What about the 'equipping-an-armor' part? Is it a free action to equip an Equipment Card (armor) just as it is a free action to use an Item Card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FS1976 wrote:
What about the 'equipping-an-armor' part? Is it a free action to equip an Equipment Card (armor) just as it is a free action to use an Item Card?

If it's in your inventory it can be used at any time. Conan does not distinguish between "equipped" and "non-equipped" inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I'd missed that - I can understand this for a "powered" ranged weapon like a bow, crossbow or sling, but it seems odd for a thrown weapon - esp a big one like (IIRC) the axe Conan has in Picts. so, effectively, if you try to throw that axe (or another thrown weapon) to another player then you'd need to make the range with the roll, but if you thrown it the same distance at an enemy, it will end up in that target space regardless of what you roll? That seems somewhat odd, to me.

2) This was explained in another thread, IIRC in a nutshell it gives a bit more flexibility for balancing the scenario, so the heroes will either have the same amount of turns as the OL, or one more. Thematically, this can also give the opportunity for a last, heroic effort by the heroes as they will always have the last actions to try to complete the scenario.

3) Note (from what others have said, just the clarify things completely): you can also take an item for a simple manipulation, costing one gem. Basically, if you want to transfer an item between two heroes in the same zone, one of them needs to pay a gem, but it can be either of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.