Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Sysiphus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Loisel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I don't like the mini. Everybody knows Sisyphus pushes his rock. He doesn't carry it.
2. The whole point is that he pushes it up a hill. Guy should have climb.
3. He shouldn't be able to throw his rock. It should be a ranged attack with a range of 0. Then, when he's on a hill, it becomes a range of 1. That actually really makes sense!
4. All of this is hilarious. It's also quite silly. Isn't Sisyphus supposed to be an iconic tragic figure? Why does he need to be able to do anything at all with his rock. I'd much prefer a darker version of Sisyphus. With climb, of course. But no ranged attack. Maybe a support character of sorts, that spreads doom and gloom around himself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to kind of have to agree with you. Though Sisyphus is an interesting character its an odd addition. I understand they wanted to add this set of powers to the game to enhance competitive play but maybe theres someone else who would have thematically fit better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mb
Its weird to use the boulder at all even to be honest. Just leave the rock out.

He was incredibly crafty, they should have used that for his powers. Whenever someone tries to attack him, he could get to roll his attack dice and if he gets a blank, he would not be attacked, he would have succesfully deceived his attacker. This would not count as an attack for him either, he can't use the non-blank dice at all here but also does not need a character or art of war card for it.

Combat wise he could be average however.

If they truly do insist on giving him the rock, it instead could have him come on the board with a movement penalty, only able to move one space, and unable to run. But he could be capable of passing the rock to someone else, friend or foe. This could cost art of war cards when passing it to an enemy. It would mean he succesfully convinced someone to push that rock for him.
When he passes the rock on to someone, he would get one free movement to step to the next area.
The effects of the stone would be that who carries it has a movement of 1 regardless of what it previously was, and it would prevent flying units from flying.
When his victim enters the same area as Sysiphus, the stone could automatically be given back to him. Alternatively, Sysiphus would need to be killed, he'd take the rock with him when he dies.

By clever use of other units, you could get Sysiphus to dump that rock on an enemy you want to slow down and have a unit there who can block them to keep them there, and ensuring they can only take one attack next turn. And Sysiphus could be moved to an area behind friendly units.

On the other hand when having to deal with Sysiphus after he dropped that stone on most likely your most mobile unit, if you have other units that are flyers they could be ideal to take him out. Ranged units would work too if he does not move out of range.

Would probably put too much text on the card, but otherwise I'd also suggest to allow any unit with the force of nature ability to be able to chuck that stone as if it was a pillar or tree, with the difference being that the rock is returned to Sysiphus after the attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly think you can deconstruct almost any character in the game using this kind of arguments.

The rock is a reference to the character and the power is not meant to represent what the character was but what he has become after the apocalypse.

Yes, we are free to think about better or more interesting gameplay or thematic elements and that's fine. But to me the whole thing makes sense. The idea is to work with the references, bringing new gameplay elements. I really don't mind those kind of liberties as it is clear that the game is not a retelling of the classic stories, but a fantasy world inspired by greek myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jloisel wrote:
2. The whole point is that he pushes it up a hill. Guy should have climb.
The whole point is that he doesn't make it to the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Sysiphus being in the game raises the question; will we see Tantalus too to complete the famous trinity of Greek punishments?

Promethius, Sysiphua and Tantalus all have some of the most iconic and memorable punishments in Greek mythology.

It feels odd to me if he doesn't get to be in it too, and somehow have his eternal thirst punishment enter into his abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was what Sisyphus did.

Then, the world went to hell in a handbasket. Many of the gods are dead. The Titans are unleashed.

Now Sisyphus in unchained. He doesn't need to conform to the story.

And he provides 4 Art of War cards. That represents intellect and cunning in this game.

I love that he throws his rock. He should get a bonus throwing the rock at Zeus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
That was what Sisyphus did.

Then, the world went to hell in a handbasket. Many of the gods are dead. The Titans are unleashed.

Now Sisyphus in unchained. He doesn't need to conform to the story.

he probably just kept the stone as a souvenir and reminder of the good old days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
As all characters in Mythic Battles: Pantheon, Sisyphus is a free interpretation of Mythology. The intend was not to deliver Sisyphus as depicted in the Greek mythology. We are just using the Myths as an inspiration. Do not forget that the game takes place in a post apocalysm world. The main objectives are to come up with a nice gameplay and to give a hint to the myth of each character. Again, this is not a "historical game". We want to make an epic game. And a guy pushing a rock would not be that epic I think, neither the mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
Even if it was a 'historical' game, Sisyphus is no longer in the underworld. Why would he get out of the underworld and think 'You know what I really miss? Pushing that rock up the hill everyday. I think I'll do that again.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
redben wrote:
...think 'You know what I really miss? Pushing that rock up the hill everyday. I think I'll do that again.'

everyone needs a hobby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
redben wrote:
Even if it was a 'historical' game, Sisyphus is no longer in the underworld. Why would he get out of the underworld and think 'You know what I really miss? Pushing that rock up the hill everyday. I think I'll do that again.'

After all that time Sisyphos and his rock might have developed a relationship similar to Tom Hanks and his volleyball in Cast Away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mb
Randombias wrote:

After all that time Sisyphos and his rock might have developed a relationship similar to Tom Hanks and his volleyball in Cast Away.

That's it, from now on that rock is called Timmy and Sisyphos will draw a smiley face on that rock with the blood of his enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
Randombias wrote:

That's it, from now on that rock is called Timmy and Sisyphos will draw a smiley face on that rock with the blood of his enemies.

now there is an idea for a custom paint job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
redben wrote:

lol Thats absolutely hilarious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can of course take him just for the 4 AoW cards and don't ever put him on the board.
* A nice shield against Hecate, if your opponent plays her.
* Or use him combined with Pandora, whose skill lets all players discard half their hand.

Too bad there's (afaik) no units that require you to discard a card to get a bonus or something. It would synergize very nicely! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.