BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 3d Game tiles (Dwarvenforge etc) and their use. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt v
msg tools
new user
Hi folks

I've been doing a bit of research on 3d tiles and kind of picked up a bit of a fascination with how neat they are. One thing that I struggled to find was what their REAL use was.

I started searching for games that make use of these but quickly realized it's not that simple. Aside from Super Dungeon Explore -- where you can purchase a full 3d board ( I assume the layout doesn't change much in that ). The use of these tiles seems to be somewhat limited to miniature war games, D&D to create battle scenes.

Being introduced first to D&D Legend of Drizzt I'm familiar with the cardboard tiles and was really looking for some games that you have the option to use the cardboard tiles or purchase 3d tiles for. Upon further research it seems that this doesn't exist but I have seen some folks re-create their dungeon tiles using 3d tiles purchased from different retailers and this may be my only option. Originally I hoped to find games that simply came with these tiles or perhaps some sort of D&D game that two players could play together and create our own dungeons. Is this wishful thinking?

A bit of an unrelated note :

I've learned that there is a whole other world to table top gaming that is much more in-depth than a simple out of box games like Drizzt & Ravenloft. There are books full of stats for different characters, monsters, you can purchase various different miniatures and incorporate them into your groups D&D game. It's just amazed me how awesome all this stuff is and perhaps there will be some stuff I can learn from you all to make our gaming sessions more interesting.

I've already received a suggestion to try Descent: Journeys into the darkness and try playing it with the "Road to Legend" application controlling the Overlord role. I can see how this will be a lot of fun especially with the ability to add in various different expansion sets into play.

I have rambled on as I tend to do...I apologize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, the primary purpose of these are for RPG games like D&D or tabletop miniatures games such as D&D attack wing. They can be used for board games such as Descent but then again that is just a light RPG in a box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
msg tools
new user
galad2003 wrote:
You're right, the primary purpose of these are for RPG games like D&D or tabletop miniatures games such as D&D attack wing. They can be used for board games such as Descent but then again that is just a light RPG in a box.

Thanks for the confirmation. I would love to use them with Descent but it seems it would be a lot of work to glue together custom tiles to copy the originals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.