$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 107.75

6,696 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.2% of Goal | left

Support:

lan lan
msg tools
Greetings guys to The Andromeda Project.

I will keep this short and hopefully intriguing for the time being, but as days pass by, I will add bits of information, as well as a general progress of it.

CHAPTER 1 - INTRODUCTION

For today I will give you the basic idea of The Andromeda Project.
It is an attempt of a grand strategy game in space, a game that has not for me come since Twilight Imperium 3rd edition.

A first sneak peak and short description of the game, I will give to you, is the following:

- You will lead a UNIQUE RACE into space, unique in the way they play and unique in how they fight in battle
- You will be asked to question your MORALITY. Will you follow a path of good, neutrality or evil?
- You will encounter and settle strange new worlds and each time you do, you will be presented with DECISIONS in how you do it
- You will have MORE OPTIONS in how you can win the game
- Your options will not be clear to the players and you will have an option to KEEP THEM GUESSING till the end of the game for which victory you are really going for
- You will have battles where TACTICS matters, where taking your opponents into account matters
- You will be able to build TRADE FLEETS, you will be able to maneuver the INTERGALACTIC POLITICAL arena, forge trust, alliances and discover that in space and in another galaxy, things are strange and alien indeed

This is The Andromeda Project. I will leave you for now with a link to the official Facebook site, where you will be able to keep track of the project itself and where a bit more sneaks and peaks will be given.

https://www.facebook.com/theandromedaproject/about/?tab=page...

Till the next day and a new chapter in our story this is me signing off.

CHAPTER 2 - WINNING THE GAME

In The Andromeda Project you can win the game in one of 4 different ways, at the beginning of a game you get two Victory Cards and you pick one for your victory goal.

The 4 options are:

1) The way of a Merchant
2) The way of a Warmonger
3) The way of a Scientist
4) The way of a Politician

Now the above 4 may seem familiar to you and you are partially right and at the same time wrong if you are thinking that Trader wins via trade, Warmonger fights and so on...

In fact one of goals of the game and purpose is to keep you guessing from the get go. And when a player will be going for a certain planet, trade, political ambition and so on, you will be left wondering constantly which type of victory this player is actually going for.

I will give you a short example:

Player going for a political victory will get "POLITICAL VICTORY" points from the following:

A) From Political influence points which he will be able to transform into POLITICAL VICTORY POINTS
B) NUMBER OF PLANETS under his CONTROL
C) Per each special resource in possession (either direct or via trade)
D) For each time he is elected Vice President of Intergalactic Council
E) For each time he is elected President of Intergalactic Council
F) From hidden treasures

I know the above can and probably does raise new questions about the game. But that is good. As we will slowly learn more and more about Andromeda Project in our next meeting in chapter III when we will take a look at the MORALITY system in the game.

Till next time I will leave you with one additional beat of information, which you can also check on The Andromeda Project FB page. On December the 15th first open playtesting of The Andromeda Project is scheduled.

Hi guys, it is Sunday 15:40 as I am writing this according to CENTRAL EUROPEAN TIME, but in The Andromeda Project it is time to, as promised, tell you about something called the MORALITY SYSTEM.

So without further ado let us jump into it:

CHAPTER 3 - MORALITY SYSTEM

In The Andromeda Project there are 3 main MORALITIES.

1) GOOD
2) NEUTRAL
3) EVIL

While their naming sounds defining they really are not, well not 100% at least.

The way it works is the following:
You start a game as a so called "Tabula Rasa" - An unwritten sheet of paper. Yes you pick your Race, yes you get your own Victory Goal, but as you start exploring your surroundings and the GALAXY itself, you will also shape your own MORALITY.
That can be either GOOD, NEUTRAL or EVIL. And you can go into it with a clear mindset that you wish to play the Galactic oppressor, or the Galactic guardian or whatever, but you will also realize, that it will be those first few encounters that will draw a pathway upon which you will walk and will define your Morality.

Morality will therefore play a major role in The Andromeda Project. It will effect your decisions, it will effect your first encounters, it will effect the way you play and the way you interact with other Races (players)

Key word being EFFECT, it will effect but WILL NOT DEFINE. Because in The Andromeda Project I wanted to make sure players have a variety of approaches on how to go about and achieve their goals.

So hopefully you will let your morality be that additional role play element in your game, which is, I can assure you, far from meaningless.

Till the next CHAPTER in our book, when we will be talking about The MAP and the GALAXY itself in The Andromeda Project this is me saying goodbye and at the same time inviting you to stay tuned and keep track of The Andromeda Project.

Kind Regards

Lan

As promised here I am again with chapter 4. Let's jump right into it...

CHAPTER 4 - Andromeda GALAXY (The Map)

This is currently one of the most debated parts of the game. The reason for that is that we currently have a fixed BOARD, with the entire Galaxy at display, but at the same time, we are still thinking about an option of HEXAGON tiles, which we can use.

I will not be talking about those issues and debates in this chapter though.

Today I will be talking about we currently have and how it is intended to work.

We have a game set up for 3-6 players. So the board itself is set up to support 3,4,5 or 6 players games and my intention was also to do it as fair and symmetrical as possible without sacrificing the feeling of natural random space.

One of the big questions was also: "Will the static map be a reason for mini-maxing and lower replay value?"
Because this was the last thing I wished for.

I wanted to answer to that with a definite NO and so far, at least in the pretesting phase I am happy with how it came to be.

But enough about general talk, let's state cold facts:

Andromeda's MAP comes with:

- 2 trade sectors (Western and Eastern Trade sector=
- 2 Trade Node planets
- 6 possible Home World planets
- 28 SYSTEM SECTORS
- 12 type 1 first encounter planets
- 58 type 2 first encounter planets
- 5 special planet tiles

Together forming 83 "planets" (or rather "planet tiles")

Between the planet tiles there are mostly hyper lane tiles with two special wormhole connections.

Planet tiles are fixed on map in point of position, but they are not fixed in terms of...What kind of planet you expect to find when you reach the tile itself.
But to prevent from getting some kind of "nasty first encounter right from the bat.

Hyper lanes are like pathways between planet. But in order to prevent choke-points, there are ways to avoid them.

This will be it for now and today, take it as a small sneak peak into the BOARD itself.

Next time in chapter 5, we will talk about The Races of Andromeda Galaxy.

Till then, I do wish all of you who are maybe reading this, a nice remainder of your day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
Re: [WIP] ANDROMEDA PROJECT

CHAPTER 2 - WINNING THE GAME

In The Andromeda Project you can win the game in one of 4 different ways, at the beginning of a game you get two Victory Cards and you pick one for your victory goal.

The 4 options are:

1) The way of a Merchant
2) The way of a Warmonger
3) The way of a Scientist
4) The way of a Politician

Now the above 4 may seem familiar to you and you are partially right and at the same time wrong if you are thinking that Trader wins via trade, Warmonger fights and so on...

In fact one of goals of the game and purpose is to keep you guessing from the get go. And when a player will be going for a certain planet, trade, political ambition and so on, you will be left wondering constantly which type of victory this player is actually going for.

I will give you a short example:

Player going for a political victory will get "POLITICAL VICTORY" points from the following:

A) From Political influence points which he will be able to transform into POLITICAL VICTORY POINTS
B) NUMBER OF PLANETS under his CONTROL
C) Per each special resource in possession (either direct or via trade)
D) For each time he is elected Vice President of Intergalactic Council
E) For each time he is elected President of Intergalactic Council
F) From hidden treasures

I know the above can and probably does raise new questions about the game. But that is good. As we will slowly learn more and more about Andromeda Project in our next meeting in chapter III when we will take a look at the MORALITY system in the game.

Till next time I will leave you with one additional beat of information, which you can also check on The Andromeda Project FB page. On December the 15th first open playtesting of The Andromeda Project is scheduled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
Re: [WIP] ANDROMEDA PROJECT
Hi guys, it is Sunday 15:40 as I am writing this according to CENTRAL EUROPEAN TIME, but in The Andromeda Project it is time to, as promised, tell you about something called the MORALITY SYSTEM.

1) GOOD
2) NEUTRAL
3) EVIL

You start a game as a so called "Tabula Rasa" - An unwritten sheet of paper. Yes you pick your Race, yes you get your own Victory Goal, but as you start exploring your surroundings and the GALAXY itself, you will also shape your own MORALITY.
That can be either GOOD, NEUTRAL or EVIL. And you can go into it with a clear mindset that you wish to play the Galactic oppressor, or the Galactic guardian or whatever, but you will also realize, that it will be those first few encounters that will draw a pathway upon which you will walk and will define your Morality.

Morality will therefore play a major role in The Andromeda Project. It will effect your decisions, it will effect your first encounters, it will effect the way you play and the way you interact with other Races (players)

Key word being EFFECT, it will effect but WILL NOT DEFINE. Because in The Andromeda Project I wanted to make sure players have a variety of approaches on how to go about and achieve their goals.

So hopefully you will let your morality be that additional role play element in your game, which is, I can assure you, far from meaningless.

Till the next CHAPTER in our book, when we will be talking about The MAP and the GALAXY itself in The Andromeda Project this is me saying goodbye and at the same time inviting you to stay tuned and keep track of The Andromeda Project.

Kind Regards

Lan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueOne8 wrote:

1) GOOD
2) NEUTRAL
3) EVIL

Kind Regards

Lan

What if the three moralities were shaped more around guiding principles than around value-laden ideas like good/evil? What if it were around conquest or trade or exploration? I think even the most evil societies don't see themselves as evil, and framing the divisions that way detracts from the universe-building, a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
You do raise a valid question Brendan and I will respond to you in the way I responded to myself in the midst of a designing process.

Forget about "Evil, Neutral or Good" as words that define your actions, replace them in any way you wish.

For instance imagine it being a HARSH, CASUAL and MILD approach instead of Evil, Neutral, Good but again you face the same problem.

In the end you end up naming them in some way. Why? Because decisions I am talking about can be drastic in contrast. You can decide to wipe off the entire race from the planet, or decide not to intervene on some event taking place.

And objectively speaking from the point of the Human race as we know it today one of those can be seen as Evil.

And that brings me to the final gathering thought regarding to what you asked. I asked myself the following two questions.

1) Do people wish to forge their own image of themselves and are they able to do it within The Andromeda Project?
The answer to that one was a definitive yes, throughout the designing process I wanted to make sure that you do things as you see fit and justify them yourself, as also not set you in STONE, but at the same time give you a clear path to walk on, so that your path is not blurry, but clear.

2) Do people wish to and do I, as a designer, wish to enable the role playing effect of being able to represent a galactic EVIL guy, or Galactic Guardian and some one?
And the answer to that was yes. Through Market Analysis I came to a simple deduction that people wish to be defined in such a way.

So yes it was something I was thinking a lot and in the end decided that I wish to not leave it totally open to interpretation, but rather make it more guiding and at the same time using the defined mechanic to add to your role playing experience.

And as far as conquest, trade, exploration... Well all of the Races no matter their morality will have a completely open path to validly pursue any of those, but sure because of morality will have a slightly different approach towards it. Key word in this case being SLIGHTLY.

In any case thank you for your input and I apologize for a bit longer response, I wanted to respond as in depth as possible.

In the end it will be interesting to see how players react to it during the play testing phase, because in the end, maybe you are completely right and this becomes something which needs to change. Or maybe not, will keep you posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
As promised here I am again with chapter 4. Let's jump right into it...

CHAPTER 4 - Andromeda GALAXY (The Map)

This is currently one of the most debated parts of the game. The reason for that is that we currently have a fixed BOARD, with the entire Galaxy at display, but at the same time, we are still thinking about an option of HEXAGON tiles, which we can use.

I will not be talking about those issues and debates in this chapter though.

Today I will be talking about we currently have and how it is intended to work.

We have a game set up for 3-6 players. So the board itself is set up to support 3,4,5 or 6 players games and my intention was also to do it as fair and symmetrical as possible without sacrificing the feeling of natural random space.

One of the big questions was also: "Will the static map be a reason for mini-maxing and lower replay value?"
Because this was the last thing I wished for.

I wanted to answer to that with a definite NO and so far, at least in the pretesting phase I am happy with how it came to be.

But enough about general talk, let's state cold facts:

Andromeda's MAP comes with:

- 2 trade sectors (Western and Eastern Trade sector=
- 2 Trade Node planets
- 6 possible Home World planets
- 28 SYSTEM SECTORS
- 12 type 1 first encounter planets
- 58 type 2 first encounter planets
- 5 special planet tiles

Together forming 83 "planets" (or rather "planet tiles")

Between the planet tiles there are mostly hyper lane tiles with two special wormhole connections.

Planet tiles are fixed on map in point of position, but they are not fixed in terms of...What kind of planet you expect to find when you reach the tile itself.
But to prevent from getting some kind of "nasty first encounter right from the bat.

Hyper lanes are like pathways between planet. But in order to prevent choke-points, there are ways to avoid them.

This will be it for now and today, take it as a small sneak peak into the BOARD itself.

Next time in chapter 5, we will talk about The Races of Andromeda Galaxy.

Till then, I do wish all of you who are maybe reading this, a nice remainder of your day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.