$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 62.34

4,440 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Race! Formula 90» Forums » Rules

Subject: question on leader lapping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Hickey
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
I have the 3.0 L rules. Page 12 says that "if the car to lap is on a straight or a braking section the lapping car must spend 1 MP to pass" and also "if the car to lap is in a corner, it may be passed by spending 2 MPs to pass." But on page 17, when talking about leader lapping it says "This check is not required if the Leader overtakes (I think this should be "laps") through a contest or through a Late Brake Manoeuvre."

So, does this mean he can do either (spend a point or do a late brake in a braking section; spend 2 points or wait for a contest in a corner section)? This is really confusing me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kdh325 wrote:
I have the 3.0 L rules. Page 12 says that "if the car to lap is on a straight or a braking section the lapping car must spend 1 MP to pass" and also "if the car to lap is in a corner, it may be passed by spending 2 MPs to pass." But on page 17, when talking about leader lapping it says "This check is not required if the Leader overtakes (I think this should be "laps") through a contest or through a Late Brake Manoeuvre."

So, does this mean he can do either (spend a point or do a late brake in a braking section; spend 2 points or wait for a contest in a corner section)? This is really confusing me.

It might be helpful to think of the options you listed as happening at different points in the turn. Overtaking through a corner contest happens before movement. Overtaking using a Late Brake Maneuver happens at the end of movement. While the page 12 rules describe lapping that happens during movement.

So it is possible that a leader could lap cars using all of these rules in a single turn if the conditions were just right.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hickey
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
I kinda worked through to that conclusion after posting and then thinking about it. But I do really appreciate the quick response. It does confirm what I was thinking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note that you must use all movement points. You may not stop moving in order to prevent a leader lapping check.

Also, it is hard to leader lap through a contest. The car you are about to lap will move last (or near last) in the current turn, giving them space between it and you. If I recall correctly, I have only lapped cars in a contest when I was not the leader.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Uncle
msg tools
I really can't think of a scenario where Leader can lap another car through a contest... he can only lose the lap advantage to lapped cars who successfully unlap themselves through a "mixed" contest procedure.
This happens because the Leader Chit always splits a corner section in two different subsections (as per Rules 3.0), and so he could never find another car in front of him in his subsection; about-to-be-lapped opponents who are in the subsection ahead are simply out of the reach of the contest.
Please correct me if I'm wrong
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle Nigel wrote:
I really can't think of a scenario where Leader can lap another car through a contest... he can only lose the lap advantage to lapped cars who successfully unlap themselves through a "mixed" contest procedure.
This happens because the Leader Chit always splits a corner section in two different subsections (as per Rules 3.0), and so he could never find another car in front of him in his subsection; about-to-be-lapped opponents who are in the subsection ahead are simply out of the reach of the contest.
Please correct me if I'm wrong

I would say that you're wrong.
I seem to recall a phrase like " the only way a Leader can avoid a Leader Check, is by lapping a car during a contest".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leader pits, and then the new leader is in a section with an a purple car in front of it, is the most common way for a leader to lap through contests.

A leader can also lap without a leader check if it passes an off-track car, through late braking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle Nigel wrote:
I really can't think of a scenario where Leader can lap another car through a contest... he can only lose the lap advantage to lapped cars who successfully unlap themselves through a "mixed" contest procedure.
This happens because the Leader Chit always splits a corner section in two different subsections (as per Rules 3.0), and so he could never find another car in front of him in his subsection; about-to-be-lapped opponents who are in the subsection ahead are simply out of the reach of the contest.
Please correct me if I'm wrong

I think you are correct that a leader can never lap another car via a contest because of the two-subsections rule.

ryan3740 wrote:
Leader pits, and then the new leader is in a section with an a purple car in front of it, is the most common way for a leader to lap through contests.

A leader can also lap without a leader check if it passes an off-track car, through late braking.


If the leader pits and the next section has something like yellow followed by blue (the new leader), I don't think there is a contest. It's the leader's section, so you split it into two subsections -- so no contest. You end up with blue moving next, and he needs to do an immediate leader-lap check to lap the yellow car. If he fails, then he doesn't move that turn. I've had this scenario occasionally occur.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shilinski wrote:

If the leader pits and the next section has something like yellow followed by blue (the new leader), I don't think there is a contest. It's the leader's section, so you split it into two subsections -- so no contest. You end up with blue moving next, and he needs to do an immediate leader-lap check to lap the yellow car. If he fails, then he doesn't move that turn. I've had this scenario occasionally occur.

On second thought, I agree. The sub-section means there will not be a contest. Now I have 3 corrections to make in the document. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.