Hide
4 Posts

1846» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How do you start this game? How to "not lose so bad'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lychenus Laplace
msg tools
This is quite a broad general question, but this confuses me too. It is not like that 1830-obvious in a sense you do not start a company with lowest possible price IPO and then move with a 100-IPO. I know there are strategy that works but that least the above cookie-cutter will keep you in game most of the time.

What is the general strategy of this game? It is a bit confusing as it is a 18xx but with not enough companies for players to move stuff around, intentionally designed that way. So how should we start? What is the big picture strategy to 'not lose so bad' at least?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lychenus wrote:
This is quite a broad general question, but this confuses me too. It is not like that 1830-obvious in a sense you do not start a company with lowest possible price IPO and then move with a 100-IPO. I know there are strategy that works but that least the above cookie-cutter will keep you in game most of the time.

What is the general strategy of this game? It is a bit confusing as it is a 18xx but with not enough companies for players to move stuff around, intentionally designed that way. So how should we start? What is the big picture strategy to 'not lose so bad' at least?

Its a route building game. So the goal is to see what would be a good route on the board and make that happen over the long hall of the game. Generally I think the winner has one of the best routes from a token in Chicago to the east side of the board. You need to see what companies and privates will work best together to make that happen. I have also found that withholding is not as bad in the linear stock market games. If you can without a time or two but then get a train that will give you a couple jumps in the next two OR's than you are still coming out ahead. I am by now means and expert but those basic ideas have worked pretty OK for me in games that are more about good route's than stock shenanigans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sigh.
badge
Yawn.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is stock manipulation in the game, it is just centred around withholding payments, dumping shares into the market, and reclaiming them when needed. A lot of the game is about timing and having enough money when you need it.

Starting with a low IPO can work just, it means that you a) don't expect to buy a lot of privates/expensive track b) hope to get a boost of stock price early, at which point you can issue stock to the market if you need extra cash c) expect to make enough money through withholding that you won't get stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
lychenus wrote:
It is not like that 1830-obvious in a sense you do not start a company with lowest possible price IPO and then move with a 100-IPO.

Correct. In fact, the easiest way to go bankrupt is to apply 1830 heuristics blindly...

I designed 1846 so that the decision to open a second company is not obvious. Sometimes, it is the right thing to do; other times, it is not.

Another heuristic to watch out for is blindly buying your share % in your own RR(s) up to 50% at earliest opportunity. While you want to eventually own 60%, it is often better to leave the shares in the RR and have them appreciate and produce dividends for it; then have the RR issue them for cash when needed; and buy them out of the Stock Market. Of course, if you wait too long and build a solid RR, everyone wants to buy them. This is another intended tension in the design.

You should seriously consider some cross investment early on. Buy the best share among your opponents' RRs to both enjoy its appreciation and dividends and to deny the RR that cash. One of the major reasons for the stock issuing mechanism is to promote cross-investment. Many 18xx players in other 18xx titles with incremental capitalization avoid ever buying shares in their rivals' RRs until close to the end of the game (as they don't want to provide these RRs extra capital). Here, usually, buying a share simply means that the RR issues one fewer share.

1846 is a game of stock investment *and* RR operations. You need to pay attention to both halves of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.