4,870 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.7% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Shaun Z
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
As far as decent games go, I think she's only played Catan and Forbidden Island, but I know she loves fantasy themed things and writes songs about elves and trolls and adventures..

I own some games that seem good, like the LotR LCG and Legends of Andor, but I don't know that either of those are good starter games..

It should also be noted that I love hours away so I can't just help teach something confusing.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any suggestions!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
runebound 3rd edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medieval Academy, Small World or Castle Panic, but those still need some time investment to learn the rules. Maybe Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule! is more along the lines what you're looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Churchman
Canada
flag msg tools
Heldentaufe is a family adventure game that sounds like it might fit the bill (I believe the designer was inspired by the Zelda video games). I helped Kickstart it for a copy. You can still preorder on their site (delivery Jan2017)
It is fantasy themed as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Above and Below is a fantasy based story game, but it's not traditional fantasy with elves & dwarves and such. It's not difficult to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastiqa might be the game you're looking for. Easy mechanics with a whimsical fantasy theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burnface wrote:
I own some games that seem good, like the LotR LCG and Legends of Andor, but I don't know that either of those are good starter games..
Actually, I think that Legends of Andor should work quite well as a starter game:
The first mission is set up to learn the game by playing it, and the second mission introduces the remaining game elements.

You're right about LotR, though, definitely not a game for inexperienced board game players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
burnface wrote:
Actually, I think that Legends of Andor should work quite well as a starter game:
The first mission is set up to learn the game by playing it, and the second mission introduces the remaining game elements.

You're right about LotR, though, definitely not a game for inexperienced board game players.
I totally agree concerning Legends of Andor to be an excellent example of a very well suited starter game. A four page rulebook (with lots of beautiful artwork) introduces some base mechanics and the game itself teaches everything needed to play (and enjoy) the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. Legends of Andor seems pretty much perfect.

Otherwise, I agree with the Mice and Mystics recommendation.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Above and Below
Fallen

They all have a fantasy theme, are story driven and are easy to teach and learn.

Tokaido is another easy to teach, easy to learn game that sort of lets you develop your own story as you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.