$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
35.9% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
A lot of people say this game doesn't really work well with 4 people?

Does playing with 6 weapon and means cards per player address most of the problems or is it still not a great game at that player count?

What if you add the variant whereby you deal 3 of 4 shuffled cards to the 3 non-FI players so there's the possibility that none of them are the murderer (in which case the F.S. player is the murderer)? Does that help?

Just wondering if I should give this game a try for my group of 4 or if I would be better off playing something else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Rae
Belgium
Zele
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game doesn't realy work well with 4.

Fun can still be had with 4 but bad rounds will just happen more often.
Depends a bit on the group aswell. With 8 it's ok to have one or two more silent people on the table. This would kill a 4p game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See if you can find a copy of Gooseberry. It's not exactly the same thing, but it's a cross between Spyfall and Codenames. I think it's awesome. In fact, you could print and play this game super easy to try it out if it's not available.

Plays super quick and each game is different/provides loads of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Avery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've only ever played with four people. We love it, but I guess I don't know what I'm missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
It deserves to be played with more, but my first game was with only four players and we loved it. So we played it again and again. I think you'll be happy with it if you only play with four.

It gets even better with more players, but I wouldn't turn down a four player game. We've also tried having an imaginary fifth player and if that player is randomly given the murderer card then the forensic scientist gets to pick which blue and red cards were used. Works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's playable with 4, but there are many other games I'd play before pulling this one out. If you do it, you'll probably need at least 5 of each weapons and clues per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I'm really torn. Seems like half say pass, half say try it. I'm tempted to err on the side of caution and pass. Not that it's an expensive purchase (these days, it's only 20-some dollars at Amazon). But my party gaming group is particular and won't be happy if I take up their time with a game that doesn't work especially well with 4. While it sounds like some groups are okay with the game play at 4, I have a sneaking suspicion it might fizzle with my group. I might introduce them to ChronoSphere instead, which is extremely easy to teach and something I expect they'd enjoy.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Mysterium, which plays better at 4. Sort of similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put it this way - I've played it with more than 4 and with 4 and am only ever going to be able to play it with four regularly and I am getting a copy as soon as possible because I have never, ever had anything less than a blast with this game. It's AWESOME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.