Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Hey all,

Just got Roll for the Galaxy and have been enjoying it a lot, but have a rules question.

I know that we are supposed to do our actions at the same time when the phases are selected. Do we need to wait for all other players to finish a phase to move on to the next?

For example, let's say that the Explore and Ship phases were activated, and I finish my explore actions before my opponents do. Am I allowed to go on to the ship phase and do my thing even though others are not there yet? Or does everyone need to finish a phase before moving on to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Luckus
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We try to play that everyone does each phase at the same time. I say try because there are some in my group who move ahead. It only really matters for phases where one's action (i.e. explore) would effect another's turn (i.e. less tiles in the bag). I would say for consistency, everyone stick to the same phase, but that is my take on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ishield wrote:
Do we need to wait for all other players to finish a phase to move on to the next?

No, except for the Assign step. See the note at the bottom of page 3.

A particular group may adopt the convention of always waiting; that's up to that group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It shouldn't really matter. Mostly we call out phase at a time, just to keep it clear as to what everyone is doing, but it's ok if you play ahead a bit. The only time we deliberately pause is to wait for people to fish tiles out of the bag.

We also find it easier to wait until we're all on teh same phase and then quickly talk through our action - both to confirm to ourselves that we've calculated correctly and to show everyone that the move is legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play, everyone basically just does their turns at their own speed. It's not uncommon for someone to be done with their turn and have all their dice rolled and assigned for next turn while someone else is still waiting to get the bag so they can explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Without the expansion, it doesn't matter. I've even gotten rid of the bag and just put the tiles in stacks, with a starting tile face down on the top of each stack. Then players don't even need to wait for each other to explore. Discarded tiles go on the bottom of stacks.

With the expansion, you need to wait, at least when players are meeting a goal condition, because players might achieve the same goal in the same phase, and seeing in advance what a player is doing on their phases might influence what I do.

As a general rule, if a player is going to end the game on a phase (either building their 12th tile or shipping enough points), that player is expected to inform the table before any player starts that respective phase so all players can respond appropriately (e.g. shipping for points as well rather than money).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted W
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only times you would need to coordinate would be when certain expansion tiles are in play, those with specials like "if you have the most..." of worlds, dice, or developments.

Once that tile is pointed out to the group then it should be easy enough to remember on subsequent rounds - e.g. "OK, this round we get a shipping phase - does Bob still have the most Green worlds? Yes, then he still gets his bonus that phase. " (I forget the actual text/bonuses of the relevant tiles but that is the general gist.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blucky wrote:
We try to play that everyone does each phase at the same time. I say try because there are some in my group who move ahead. It only really matters for phases where one's action (i.e. explore) would effect another's turn (i.e. less tiles in the bag). I would say for consistency, everyone stick to the same phase, but that is my take on it.

Even in the explore case, order only matters if the bag runs out of tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.