Hide
6 Posts

Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh» Forums » General

Subject: Does this help solve issue of runaway leader? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Schofield
msg tools
I bought the base game recently and think it's great. My group is really into it and we've had a ton of fun playing it. However, none of the four plays so far have been anywhere near close, it has been fairly clear after 15 minutes of play of so who was going to win, and there seemed to very little that could be done about it.

Looking online it seems quite a few have commented that this can be issue. Is this expansion in any way effective in addressing this?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you are playing with how many players?

it depends on the situation, in all our games with different number of players,our games are always neck to neck race.

usually when one player in close to winning everyone is trying to block him by sending their merchant to the place where the leading player wants to go, most of the time it is obvious where will the player will grab his last gem.

and with expansions there is a lot of additional things you can block/slowdown the leading player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Now that you mention it it does seem like the problem of runaway players has subsided in recent plays. Not sure if that means everyone has got the hang of it, or the expansion solved the problem. I can say it changes the game. I don't feel like I'm on an assembly line now. I have more options and paths to victory. I would never play without the first expansion again. I'm really hoping the second expansion is equally as good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My general experience has one person slowly gain a lead, and then out of nowhere someone picks up 2-4 gems and either wins or locks the win. (I really need to play this more often.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
musicjunkiealex wrote:
I bought the base game recently and think it's great. My group is really into it and we've had a ton of fun playing it. However, none of the four plays so far have been anywhere near close, it has been fairly clear after 15 minutes of play of so who was going to win, and there seemed to very little that could be done about it.

Looking online it seems quite a few have commented that this can be issue. Is this expansion in any way effective in addressing this?

Thanks in advance for replies.

I don't think I've experienced this issue. Most games Iv'e played have been pretty close or as someone else mentioned had someone gain 2 gems in a single turn and really turn things around.

With that said, this expansion does offer more ways to earn gems, which could alleviate that problem if its been a problem. I can't say. I've only played with the expansion once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lonadar wrote:
My general experience has one person slowly gain a lead, and then out of nowhere someone picks up 2-4 gems and either wins or locks the win. (I really need to play this more often.)

yes, this frequently happen to us. let's say one player already have 3 gems while the other have zero gems, but he has bunch of stuffs, then in his next 3 turns he grab 3 gems in a row or even 4 gems or more in a span of 3 turns,(there are these 2x bonus cards that can get you multiple gems in a single turn, and also with letters expansion you can have double turns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.