Freedom in the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Photoshop version of the map of FITG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools
Hello,

I've completed my redesign of the map of FITG using a mix of old style and that of "Star Wars: Rebellion".

I've added a color code for the systems "safe" for the Rebels, the races present in a system for the domino effect, and much more. I'll add more details if someone is interested.

It can be downloaded from this site:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3WYqaRijEaSYmNpYjdsdWVQVz...

Be warned, it's very big! over 150 Mb... It's a little wider than the original, about 60cmx100cm, corresponding to 10 A4 sheets versus the 8 original.

At request, I can divide it in smaller files.

Greetings,

Fabio Patris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent version of the Map! Though why is the background so light? Did you do the characters yourself or did you take them from somewhere. I recall a Cyberboard module colorizing the character cards.

EDIT: Looking at the Cyberboard module I think you did the coloring yourself. Do you mind my asking how you did that? I recently had the same idea and intended to scan the cards at high DPI and trace them with vector drawing software but it's clear you already accomplished far more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools
The background is light only to be more printer-friendly: a very dark color kills my poor ink cartidges... and my printer, a modest low cost ink-jet, often has a poor performance when the color is too "strong": this is the reason I put most of the values in small light colored banners.

I've scannerized the original cards and painted them with photoshop: I have remodeled also all the cards and the counters, but I haven't post them because I have made some house-ruling that makes them incompatible with the standard game.

Even in the map there are some variant from the RAW game: for example, Sidir Ganang has 4 home planets as in the UWE variant.

I have borrowed many ideas from UWE: the mission cards use his values, also most events (but I use a simplified system for playing them).

The military part of the game has never satisfied me (too much mechanical and I prefer split Navy and Army), but my variants have never been too good: I have always ideas too complex.

At the moment I'm considering to adapt the system of Star Wars: Rebellion, which has many advantages: it's a complete system, it's simple, and the battles are satisfying varied. But obviously the impact on play balance is heavy.

Anyway, I'll upload the parts compatible with the standard game and a darker version of the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools

OK, I have added a darker map and all the files more or less compatible with the standard game.

I haven't uploaded the military units as totally incompatible with the normal game.

If I have time, I'll do a "standard" version of these counters with only updated graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing Fabio! You beat me to the punch! I guess I'm glad you posted before I started any serious work on "remastering" FitG.

As for the dark background, it can also be useful in a variant VASSAL module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools

It's a work that I've attempted many times in the past, but I was always unsatisfied with the result.

I think that the map now has a good balance of "play friendly" and "eye satisfaction".

Obviously the other remakes with boxes for the planets are better for a utilitarian game, but I think that a SF game must also be immersive.

For completeness, I've made also the original military units with the new style and uploaded them: nothing strange, I've only changed the graphics (I have used infantry images for the units with higher ground value and starships for the others).

A note for the Mission cards: I have divided them per Environ type (Wild, Urban, Special) in order to add the image, but the contents are the same of the UWE cards.

This way, there are 2 more stacks to shuffle, but is easier calculate the odds and less prone to errors: I often readed the text of the wrong Environ with the originals.

The events are much more numerous than the original. I use this house rule for them:
Draw 3 in the 1° turn aand play them, then 1 per player, played only if and when (even in subsequent turns) the player decides. A player can keep max 5 cards, the excess must be played or discarded. A Gather Info (I) success makes draw an additional card.
The Events with the diciture “Play immediately” must be played as soon as drawed (no choice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools

Update:

I've uploaded a new version of the map, with better background, some small errors corrected, and I've added even the long lost Lomrels! (I've discovered after years that were localized on Liomax).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.