Subject: Solo Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
For those who are going to solo play this, how many players are you planning to use? I'm thinking 3 so I can have a decently diverse party. I think with 4 I wouldn't be as invested in each individual character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Three sounds good to me, though that would take up quite a footprint. Granted, I've never found playing multiple characters to be immersion-breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always start with 2 so I can get some combo-decisions going and keep the book-keeping down until I have a feel for the game. Once I'm well versed with a game, I tend to add a third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
flag msg tools
I really envy the solo players out there. Playing on a whim whenever you feel like it. It has its ups and downs of course, but for me solo play is out of the question.

I tend to look out for the most optimal move possible (yeah, i'm really prone to analysis paralysis) and even with just 2 characters in the PnP version, I was overthinking everything way too much. Trying to set up perfect combos, disarming elites with the brute, keeping my shield up while the spell weaver was obliterating everything from a far. I wasn't just planing my current turn but even the next 2 or 3 and it took quite some time. I can't imagine playing 3 or possibly even 4 characters!

Now, to contribute to the discussion at hand. I was getting faster over time for sure. You only have so many cards and once you have some practice and know what you're doing the card play does speed up. And a 2 character party does feel kinda small. It doesn't even feel like a party to be honest. So in my opinion, if you really wan't to recreate the typical RPG feeling you should be looking at playing 3 characters at least, even though planing out the first couple of rounds could feel overwhelming. Looting could be another problem. Suddenly it isn't a competition anymore but trying to loot as efficiently as possible without losing to much movement. And you absolutely have to increase the dungeons difficulty (as mentioned in the rules) in my opinion to make it somewhat challenging.

You'll definitely will miss out on the uncertainty that comes into play when playing with others. But I understand, that it can ease your mind without worrying about turn order and the game state you'll be facing once it's your turn during a multiplayer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:
For those who are going to solo play this, how many players are you planning to use?

Whatever the number, if you use them to play the game, you are no longer solo. And if I may, "using" people is generally frown upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Dreams
Australia
flag msg tools
cafin8d wrote:
I always start with 2 so I can get some combo-decisions going and keep the book-keeping down until I have a feel for the game. Once I'm well versed with a game, I tend to add a third.

It's interesting - to learn the rules I tried some solo games with 2 characters to get the rules down for playing the print and play with some friends. I found it much harder playing by myself than playing with other people. I think it's because you've got a lot going on when you need to manage 2 characters compared to just optimising your actions with one.

Playing with 4 characters would probably be to much imho, unless you were very fast/decisive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.