DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Game Play Variant: Solitaire Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
There are several version of excellent solitaire rules in the files section as well as the variant section. The one I personally liked was created by Casey Hughes(houjix1138) and contributed to by the BGG community.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/895451/solo-variant-first-a...

Lots of discussion and play testing. I decided to update the rules combining the best elements of what every one posted as well as the rules that worked from Crytozoics solo rules.

This is designed to be a booklet. To maximize its use print it double-sided then folding in half.

The Turn Sequence is detailed and thematically labeled with clear delineation of the winning conditions.

The Rule Modification section is where it combines the best of Cryptozoic rules and the play tested rules created by the community.

Scoring is for those (like me) who enjoy a thematic storytelling of how your efforts equate to the hero gaining or loosing favor with the city.

Rule Variants are some other ways to use these rules to play solitaire based on some ideas I came up with based on other game components that will posted.

Added Difficulty is other ways players have discussed for more advanced rules.

Finally, there is a FAQ to help answer why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
To facilitate a better solitaire experience Timer cards have been created. These cards were created based on the feedback from the community in the solitaire thread. It will help save Weakness cards but without eliminating the punishing affect on the timer when you gain a Weakness. All rules of use are printed on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've read the rules photos through - even printing them out as a booklet to make sure I got it all.

However, they are not written clearly. The Timer deck is assumed, not explained. How many cards go in it? Probably means I just need to read the original thread (again).

I will say this - everything I see and understand looks really good. I really appreciate the effort to make it a story. It's awesome.

My thinking now is that with a little work, it could easily be the go-to coop mode for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
rjburns3 wrote:
OK, I've read the rules photos through - even printing them out as a booklet to make sure I got it all.

However, they are not written clearly. The Timer deck is assumed, not explained. How many cards go in it? Probably means I just need to read the original thread (again).

I will say this - everything I see and understand looks really good. I really appreciate the effort to make it a story. It's awesome.

My thinking now is that with a little work, it could easily be the go-to coop mode for the game.

My apologies, I posted an older version of the document. I have like 4 different versions of this thing saved. The update version has corrected typos, more Added Difficulty, clearer language and a better set up section.

This is great to hear you like the effort and the go-to coop mode. My son and I use it for coop as well and we love it. The card destruction mechanic really adds a sense of urgency to coop.

These rules, although started by Casey Hughes(houjix1138), it is truly collaborative by the BGG community and unintentionally, Cryptozoic.

Feel free to post any more comments, suggestions or correction. A PDF version of this will be uploaded in the file section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do like the effort. In fact, I'd been wracking my brain how to do something similar. Now, I'm not sure I have to.

I also plan on checking out Cryptozoic's new Attack on Titan deck-builder. It's also cooperative, and also runs on the Cerberus engine. My thinking is that it may also help us in our quest for the ultimate DC DBG co-op (because we know that Crisis just ain't it).

Question: if you're playing co-op, shouldn't the timer deck be bigger? Say, 30 for 2 players, or 38 (or so) for 3? Just wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also really like the work I'm seeing. For easier timer tracking, one could simply use a D20 or 2 D10 (one D10 would count as the "ones" place, and the other as the "tens") to count down the number of rounds. Speaking of that...in a cooperative game, would each complete round (all players have taken a turn) count as -1 on the timer? Or would the timer go down one at the end of each player's turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
rjburns3 wrote:
I really do like the effort. In fact, I'd been wracking my brain how to do something similar. Now, I'm not sure I have to.

I also plan on checking out Cryptozoic's new Attack on Titan deck-builder. It's also cooperative, and also runs on the Cerberus engine. My thinking is that it may also help us in our quest for the ultimate DC DBG co-op (because we know that Crisis just ain't it).

I've been watching videos on all of Cryptozoic deck builder videos and I watched that recently. That game has a board game type movement element with the same deck builder mechanics. That would be a unique addition to this game I think would work. Image stopping the invading Super-Villain between Metropolis and Gotham.

rjburns3 wrote:
Question: if you're playing co-op, shouldn't the timer deck be bigger? Say, 30 for 2 players, or 38 (or so) for 3? Just wondering.

Actually we don't use the time in co-op. He doesn't have the discipline or patients to keep flipping the cards.

We just work to stop the deck running out and, I feel that is more than enough and heres why....
1) The Line-Up card destruction happens every player's turn. So in a two player game, 1 round (at the end of both player's turn) that could be 2 cards destroyed.

2) The Villains Attacking the city (main deck card destruction) happens at the end of every turn. Using the two player example above, if there is a 6 cost villain in the Line-Up and he is not bought for 3 rounds in a co-op game. That's 38 cards in 3 rounds (3 turns per players). 38 cards plus the Super-Villain card destruction (6 cards over 3 rounds) is 44 cards from a 114 card deck. At this point the timer doesn't matter. The deck would probably run out before the timer would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
deeth82 wrote:
I also really like the work I'm seeing. For easier timer tracking, one could simply use a D20 or 2 D10 (one D10 would count as the "ones" place, and the other as the "tens") to count down the number of rounds. Speaking of that...in a cooperative game, would each complete round (all players have taken a turn) count as -1 on the timer? Or would the timer go down one at the end of each player's turn?

If I was going to use the Timer in a coop, use it after every round of player turns. This way all players get 20 rounds instead of 20 rounds divided by however many players are playing. For example, 2 players would get 10 turns, 3 players would get 6.66 turns. That just ruins the flow of the game.

I guess I will have to add this to the instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
One more thing that my son and I like to do in co-op, we do group attacks. Using the example given above for why there is no timer in co-op, because of how fast the deck could depleted, loosing good cards before they enter the Line-Up, "Group Attacks" become a game mechanic. The contributor may give a card from their hand to the attack (buying phases). They may only contribute 1 card per turn. The card must have a Power bonus on it (i.e. No Defense card with no buying benefit). If the card grants a Card draw or destruction bonus that card comes from the Attacker's deck as well as any Weakness bonuses go into their deck. Once the turn is over the contributed card goes back into the contributor's hand. Any cards bought or gain goes to whomever turn it is. Communication is key to making a successful co-op attack.

I will add this to the Co-op rule addendum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7, this is really awesome work! It sounds like you're really refining the process well as you play. I'll have to give this a shot with a buddy of mine...we like Crisis, but even with a shortened main deck, the length of the game still drags out a bit. Still got love for Crisis, but this would be even easier to set up. Thanks again for posting this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.