Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremiah H
United States
Friendswood
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest son turned 11 the other day so I figured he had the focus to really delve into MonPoc. I pulled everything out and we played a beginner game, and he loved it. We're going to make it a regular thing.

What's going on with this game? I see that there was a bidding war over the summer for the movie rights.

Glancing over my spreadsheet, I am missing ONE Mega- Hurricanus. I also need the Team Covenant maps if anyone wants to part with them. PM me.

Who's still playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spazz
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing going on, to my knowledge. As for the movie rights, we are not getting excited over that just yet because that had happened before, only to amount to nothing. So, until there is something more to get excited about we are being cautiously optimistic.

As for play, there is no organized play, that I am aware of. But depending on where you live, you might be lucky enough to find some people who still play. But then there is always Vassal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific Rim is the movie, kinda. Team Covenant was the main evangelist for the game but Privateer Press teed them off somehow so TC abandoned everything to do with MonPoc. Fewer and fewer folks seem to even know this games exists now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah H
United States
Friendswood
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravager wrote:
Pacific Rim is the movie, kinda. Team Covenant was the main evangelist for the game but Privateer Press teed them off somehow so TC abandoned everything to do with MonPoc. Fewer and fewer folks seem to even know this games exists now.

I recall when that PP/TC drama went down. I was about a year into the game when it all fell apart. I couldn't make it to the last two MonPoc conventions they held, either.

Doesn't mean that it can't all be resurrected. Time heals old wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jeremiah...long time no see.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no news to report.

I did get to attend the last two MonCons & we had an amazing time both years. The TC guys know how to do it right.

MonPoc has been played in my house in the last 12 months, but I don't think it's getting much play in most places in the world. It's a shame...a truly wonderful game.

I'm still holding on to all my old stuff, & I have no intention of cutting loose of any of it for a while. Is Mega Hurricanus literally the ONLY thing you're missing? I've got a few spare bits & bobs, but I certainly don't have an extra of her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah H
United States
Friendswood
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superman829 wrote:
Hey Jeremiah...long time no see.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no news to report.

I did get to attend the last two MonCons & we had an amazing time both years. The TC guys know how to do it right.

MonPoc has been played in my house in the last 12 months, but I don't think it's getting much play in most places in the world. It's a shame...a truly wonderful game.

I'm still holding on to all my old stuff, & I have no intention of cutting loose of any of it for a while. Is Mega Hurricanus literally the ONLY thing you're missing? I've got a few spare bits & bobs, but I certainly don't have an extra of her.

Hey man! Thanks for the reply. I need to do an informal inventory to verify my spreadsheet, but I will absolutely have extras to swap with diehards once I'm done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've recently pulled out all my figures and am putting together an inventory as well. Is there a thread where those still playing can talk trades? What is the best way to go about swapping/buying/selling?

Glad to see that at least some folks out there are still excited by this venerable game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing new. PP is following the GW model of abandoning its other games to crank out more minis for its flagship franchise. I'm fortunate that I have 3 friends who have kept their collections and we still play. Whenever we do though, people always come up and say "What is this?" It's been a long time since anyone actually recognized it as Monpoc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah H
United States
Friendswood
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time 2 Roll wrote:
Nothing new. PP is following the GW model of abandoning its other games to crank out more minis for its flagship franchise. I'm fortunate that I have 3 friends who have kept their collections and we still play. Whenever we do though, people always come up and say "What is this?" It's been a long time since anyone actually recognized it as Monpoc.

I don't think that's exactly the case with MonPoc- it was pretty successful, but the Intellectual Property ended up being potentially VERY valuable, more valuable than keeping ten thousand gaming nerds happy.

I hope that PP gets the game rights out of any potential merchandising deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the battle boxes were released, one of the designers mentioned in a podcast that their choice was to release series 6, and that would be the end of Monsterpocalyse, or they could re-release series 1 in the battle box format to bring more people into the game. So the game wasn't selling particularly well after the first year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have all of my stuff. But I have a set of the morpher monsters from Season 3: All Your Base that I don't need (6 factions, 4 small units each, 1 large monster each). Anyone interested in them for cheap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TX WA
United States
Snoqualmie
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! Activity on MonPoc!

I actually still have a ton of MonPoc and besides the super rare stuff (I finished 2nd at a MonPoc tourney at PAX and the 1st place prize was a full metal Cyber Khan! Sadbeans), I have a ton of dupes up for trade. I used to be a pressganger for PP and was able to get most of the Megas. Not sure I have an extra of that Mega that you are looking for, but I can check tonight. The only common things I dont have is White Dajan and General Hondo. Anyone have dupes of those to trade?

And lump me in with the group who misses this game and wishes they released Series 6, or at least the stats of the potential figs and faction buildings so the fans could proxy them. That last block just feels so unfinished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah H
United States
Friendswood
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texaswashington wrote:
Yes! Activity on MonPoc!

I actually still have a ton of MonPoc and besides the super rare stuff (I finished 2nd at a MonPoc tourney at PAX and the 1st place prize was a full metal Cyber Khan! Sadbeans), I have a ton of dupes up for trade. I used to be a pressganger for PP and was able to get most of the Megas. Not sure I have an extra of that Mega that you are looking for, but I can check tonight. The only common things I dont have is White Dajan and General Hondo. Anyone have dupes of those to trade?

And lump me in with the group who misses this game and wishes they released Series 6, or at least the stats of the potential figs and faction buildings so the fans could proxy them. That last block just feels so unfinished.

Checked my spreadsheet and I don't have those two monsters, unfortunately. But I'm sure we can use this thread as a springboard to balance out people's collections!

I wonder who has that metal Cyber Khan and wants to sell it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Connor
msg tools
Okay, how do we get this much activity in 1 bleepinroni day? Or even a few days?

On a side note: I've kept my stuff. I was 12. Years. Old. When Monsterpocalypse first came out. Fell in love with it, love grew with wave 2, and Series 6 never happened. Nostalgia is a strong mistress. My only regular opponent also kept his collection, but it's just us 2, and we don't have good ways of gaming at a game store.

There is always Vassal, but no-one is ever on, is the problem.

As for new material? Well, I've actually done several stupid things. The first was I went through the ability lists for Wave 2 and marked off every ability that was never used in released monsters. I then took those abilities, along with a heapin' helpin' of analysis courtesy of the Gameknave Monpoc cards, and made a "Series 6" of some of the factions. Only got to 2 or 3 if memory serves me right. They're on the MonPoc forums at Privateer Press.
In addition, the dreaded creativity engine has sparked faintly to life, and I started making factions. Again. However, I've only partially-released one faction, and that's still play-testing. As far as I can tell, it's structurally sound and playable, but it's completely unofficial and with little actual testing. It's a thread here (shameless advertisement), called "Things From The Ice" (Destroyer Occult). If what little remains of the community ever wants to try winding up another round of new factions, I can throw my hat into that ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TX WA
United States
Snoqualmie
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome job on creating the "Series 6" figs and story, Peter! I just finished reading the write-up on PP's forum and I gotta say, it made me excited to play MonPoc again! Then, I remembered that my MonPoc gaming group dissolved and I got bummed again lol. I might make proxies of your figs to finally finish those three factions. You should post that somewhere here on BGG. I almost never go to PP's site anymore, but I do subscribe to MonPoc on BGG and I'm sure I'm not the only one and wouldn't be the only one excited to read your ideas.

I'm so glad that you did my favorite of the Block 2 factions: Tritons! The morpher and story that you wrote was spot-on with the pic of the fig that was previously released. I'm especially interested, however, in the Empire of the Apes morpher that you created. So 3 of the morphers stay on the table while one "morpher" grows? So does that mean both Alpha and Ultra forms are still on the board and can be hurt? Interesting...

Any interest in finishing the last 3 factions; UberCorp International, Elemental Champions, and my second fave, Savage Swarm? The Swarm has the last of the Series 6 fig pics that PP revealed before killing the game, a cool-looking, seemingly made up of maggots morpher. What are your thoughts on that one?

I'm excited to hear what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Connor
msg tools
texaswashington wrote:
Awesome job on creating the "Series 6" figs and story, Peter! I just finished reading the write-up on PP's forum and I gotta say, it made me excited to play MonPoc again! Then, I remembered that my MonPoc gaming group dissolved and I got bummed again lol. I might make proxies of your figs to finally finish those three factions. You should post that somewhere here on BGG. I almost never go to PP's site anymore, but I do subscribe to MonPoc on BGG and I'm sure I'm not the only one and wouldn't be the only one excited to read your ideas.

I'm so glad that you did my favorite of the Block 2 factions: Tritons! The morpher and story that you wrote was spot-on with the pic of the fig that was previously released. I'm especially interested, however, in the Empire of the Apes morpher that you created. So 3 of the morphers stay on the table while one "morpher" grows? So does that mean both Alpha and Ultra forms are still on the board and can be hurt? Interesting...

Any interest in finishing the last 3 factions; UberCorp International, Elemental Champions, and my second fave, Savage Swarm? The Swarm has the last of the Series 6 fig pics that PP revealed before killing the game, a cool-looking, seemingly made up of maggots morpher. What are your thoughts on that one?

I'm excited to hear what you think!

Nah, the three little dudes for the Empire of the Apes morpher run off whenever the Ultra form hits. It's just like the Terrasaur's morpher, where the alpha forms strategically and mysteriously disappear anytime the massively angry ultra form shows up.

As for the last three? Now that I know that somebody loves them, there's definitely an increased likelihood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.