8 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster toughness vs health rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Can someone clarify the difference between monster toughness and monster health?

Example:
A monster has a toughness of 4. An investigator makes a combat/strength roll and gets 2 successes. The monster is injured and loses 2 health. 2 strength tokens are place on its card to indicate this.

Next turn, the investigator makes another combat/strength roll and gets 3 successes. This reduces the monsters health by another 3 to minus 1. The monster dies.

Where does toughness come into this? Surely the 'toughness' stat is actually just 'health'? The FAQs say that a monster's toughness isn't affected by received damage, but in my example even if the monster's toughness is still 4 the investigator only needs 3 successes to kill it on the second turn of combat.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yeah, Toughness is its hit point stat, if you will.

I don't think "health" as in "remaining hit points" is a concept that is ever used. Only damage capacity (Toughness) and damage taken seems ever relevant?

Edit: I guess the main point of the faq entry is that effects that refer to Toughness always refer to the base value, no matter if any damage is on the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason the rules make the distinction is for the effects that affect monsters with a certain toughness. If a card says "Discard a monster with 1 toughness", you can't discard a monster with 3 toughness that's taken 2 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The monster's toughness score indicates how many hits you need to kill it. It is indeed health in a general sense, but there is a minor difference. As you state, doing damage to the monster doesn't actually reduce the monster's toughness. This means if you have a monster with 4 toughness that takes 2 damage, the toughness is still 4. It won't be affected by stuff that affects monsters with 2 or less toughness, such as the Police Assistance asset. That's the example you're missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget that if you get 2 successes against a 4 Toughness Monster, not only does he take 2 damage, you do, too. Then, on the next turn, if you get 3 successes, the Monster takes 3 more damage -- more than enough to kill it, but you also take 1 damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
And don't forget that if you get 2 successes against a 4 Toughness Monster, not only does he take 2 damage, you do, too. Then, on the next turn, if you get 3 successes, the Monster takes 3 more damage -- more than enough to kill it, but you also take 1 damage.

That's not right. You take the difference between the monster's damage value and your successes, not its toughness. See the EH rulebook, p. 14-15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sorry, yes I stated that incorrectly. I need coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.