49% of Goal | left

Support:

Chasissa D
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just wanted to thank Flying Frog Games and the community of gamers (yes, YOU reading this right now ) that has contributed so much to making Shadows of Brimstone such a great game. My wife and I have spent many, many hours playing.

So here's the giveaway: a complete set of the red sprue minis that shipped with our minecart pledge. This includes all eight original heroes, the harbinger, goliath, hungry dead, void spiders, slashers, night terrors, tentacles, stranglers, and hellbats.

To enter the giveaway, please post a brief description of your favorite character (name, class, mutations, notable items, etc). I'll pick my favorite of the submissions and ship the minis at my own expense (continental US only) to the winner. Pictures are encouraged! Let's see your character sheet, mini, etc.

I'll kick it off. My favorite character, out of the bunch I rotate through is Joe Blackford, the Drifter. He has no mutations or injuries, as the Drifter's Secret keeps healing him. At level 5 with his trusty pistol and darkstone blade he's hell on wheels (or horseback or whatever).

Here's his backstory: Joe has only known his life on the Drift. He was never able to remember any sort of beginning to any of it. There was no fondly remembered childhood, no parents, no friends. Only shadows. There is nothing but the long days and nights on the Drift. Joe lives only in the moment, for simple pleasures and quiet contemplation of his present circumstances. His life continues amidst Brimstone with the new people that he knows will only become more shadows to haunt his mind in the days and years and Drift to come.

In terms of character pimping we use our own custom character sheets, fake .22 bullets to represent grit, and town item and money cards printed from PrintersStudio.com.

Finally, please check out the Frogs' current Kickstarter, Forbidden Fortress. I'm backing at the Shogun level. It looks awesome. Back it if you can! I'll choose a winner after this Kickstarter closes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chasissa D
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
To sweeten the pot I'll also throw in a set of printed XP cards.

Cheers!

(Drifter mini not included )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start!

My favorite character is the Bandido - Reymundo "El Sinvergüenza" Alvarez

He is a level 4 scoundrel and a complete grit gaining machine. He is not favored among his posse and chooses to spend most of his time camping outside of town away from his compradres, despite having saved them many times with his drunken dynamite tosses. His slippery skin has allowed him to slip past enemies to gain an advantage on his dynamite throwing angle.

Between his cigarette case personal item, where he keeps his cigarillos; his scoundrel path, he recovers grit to a maximum of 4 only to quickly spend it on dynamite and his explosives expert trait. He's quick to use his +4 Initiative during big fights, not because he is brave, but because he is greedy.

Backstory:
From just outside Vera Cruz, Reymundo saw his family decimated during a raid on his family's farm. After exacting revenge by blowing up the barn and ranch house with dynamite - killing the raiders, he took to the north as the lone survivor with nothing left but a thirst for tequila and adventure. Following rumors from travelers at various saloons about "darkstone" and riches he found his way to Brimstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite character has also been a Bandito, Pedro "¡PELIGRO!" Ysidro. He originally rolled in a posse with a gunslinger, a preacher, a lawman, and a marshall, dubbed the Danger 5. Sadly, the gunslinger left, and we rebranded ourselves the Cuatro Fantastico.

Pedro favors taking care of things with his fists, never quite being able to get his meaty fingers to work well with triggers. Later he found a pick-axe and a trusty axe in the mines, which filled his monster-killing heart with joy!

He's not just a murder machine. He has deep respect for the preacher in the party, Father Bookshank. Pedro always refers to him as "Padre," and will routinely place himself between the preacher and danger. He also carries a locket which bears a picture of his lost lady love, Consuela. Many times before a big battle Pedro can be heard to ask the Padre for a prayer, and asking Consula forgiveness for the acts he was about to undertake. He never speaks about what happened to Consuela, other than that she has apparently passed on, and that these foul creatures from other worlds had something to do with.

The last time the Cuatro Fantastico ventured into the mines, Pedro found himself changed by the corruption of the creatures around him. His skin was changed, becoming as hard as stone. Sure he was slower to move now, but he could take so much more punishment as he cut his way through the monsters. Pedro only saw the divine in things, and took this as a good omen. During the last adventure, just before the epic final battle, he filled the caverns with a cry of "ES LA HORA DE CLOBBERIN'!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Lucas Williams was born in Lawrence, in the Kansas Territories, in 1858; his parents were free-staters who had come from the small New England town of Shadowbrook. When he was 5, his father and older brother were killed in the Lawrence Massacre. Now poor, without any real source of income, his mother worked as a seamstress while Lucas helped make ends meet with small jobs around town. Though he wasn’t able to attend school, his mother taught him as much as she could, and he learned to read and write. When he was 15, his mother died from consumption, and Lucas was on his own.

After seeing how his mother was treated, he developed a deep sense of justice, and an understanding that there were corrupt people in the world who would take advantage of the innocent. He wanted to change that. His lack of formal education proved a barrier for many of the jobs he wanted, so he decided to join a wagon train heading west; he felt a frontier town would be a place where he could make a difference.

Lucas came to Lestina in 1880, at 22 years of age, and applied for a deputy position with the local sheriff, Robert Guthrie; Lucas’s skill with a gun earned him the job. Lucas was soon approached by a mysterious figure who offered him a month’s pay in exchange for his loyalty. Lucas refused the attempted bribe and reported the incident to Guthrie. The sheriff responded by pulling him into the wilderness; Guthrie told him he should have accepted the bribe, then shot him and left him for dead.

Lucas awakened in the care of a Native American shaman; she used a strange black powder to help heal his wounds. Once he was healed, he knew he had to challenge the sheriff and his mysterious patron. Remembering his mother’s romantic stories of his highwayman great grandfather, he donned a scarlet mask and dark clothes. He confronted Robert Guthrie as the corrupt sheriff was attempting to shake down a resident family of the town for money. In the ensuing conflict, Lucas shot and killed Guthrie, an act which was witnessed by several townsfolk. Lucas escaped on horseback, and his masked alter ego has been wanted dead or alive ever since. He knows that, should he be caught, he would be hanged, and his real identity is believed dead. His masked alter ego has become known as the Scarlet Rider, and several lawmen and judges want him out of the picture.

He has discovered that Guthrie was sending funds to the mayor of Brimstone, and to some of the businessmen based there. He suspects that the mysterious figure somehow is connected to the rush for the strange black rock being mined there. He will get to the bottom of this… and protect the people of this territory from the mysterious conspiracy he has discovered.

"The Scarlet Rider" is currently a Level 4 Outlaw who regularly teams up now with the US Marshall originally summoned to bring him to justice. He's boosted his dual Outlaw pistols, and unleashes torrents of bullets against his enemies, and his duster is also able to let him vanish into the shadows when he needs to. He has a bit of a thing going with the Saloon Girl, Lucy, who is always diving head-first into trouble. And when the party is overwhelmed, flashing his Rusty Badge can help inspire them, helping them shake off any corruption in the party and redouble their efforts.

The image doesn't seem to work being embedded here for some reason, but you can look at it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTqztGXLD-bdXVMeVZyRGxYOHM...

Among the posse here, you can see Lucas in the middle right, alongside Lucy the Saloon girl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chasissa D
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey, Darrell and Thomas. Just wanted to thank you guys for giving me a laugh with your Bandidos. As it happens, my second favorite character is also Bandido.

Mine is Paco "El Feo" Rabanne.

Here's the backstory: The pueblo Paco grew up in was a small, poor, hungry place. Paco would never know his father, who had disappeared after his birth, living the life of the bandido in the foothills of the Zacatecas mountains. He left the destitution of his childhood, along with his mother and many siblings, at twelve, hoping to find his father and join him in a life of adventure. Instead he found violence and desperation, a life full of fury and ugliness, which he came to embrace, and become masterful at. It was in the pursuit of mastery with explosives that Paco came to nearly destroy himself with dynamite. He would be known as “El Feo”, the ugly one, afterwards. Chance would have him escaping North from the Mexican army after raiding a train with his band. It was in the North, in the West of the United States, that he would come to know the Blake brothers, and their scout Crying Bear, that the he would finally find a new home, in the United States, with a new purpose, in Brimstone.

Also thanks to Gavin for showing us those painted minis! Would like to paint mine up sometime. Great job with yours.

Hope to see a few more submissions.

So excited to see Forbidden Fortress about to crest the $1M mark! Whoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of Bandidos in here!

I'm sure some of you have read about Mongo's exploits already. He's a level 8 Brawlin' Bandido who ventured off into the mines after Sheriff Bart put an end to his barroom bullying days. He tagged along with Bart, the Waco Kid, and Lili von Shtupp for a little while before venturing off with some other heroes. Eventually he and a Rancher friend found themselves in Woodinvale when Becky Anderson was discovered missing. The coming adventure would change his life.

In the midst of the Dark Occurrence in Woodinvale, Mongo found solace religion (gained keyword Holy). The loss of Ma Anderson hit him hard, and he swore off his Outlaw ways (lost the keyword Outlaw). Now, he roams about the land, cleansing it of unholy Otherworldly menaces. He doesn't want anyone else to go through what the Anderson family did.

In his most recent adventure, Mongo and Sheriff Bart reunited to stop a Trederran invasion. Mongo stared down death in the form of 3 Brutal Elite Trederran Legionnaires.

3 Legionnaires * 8 shots each = 24 shots
Defense + Grit: 8 shots get through
Damage per shot: 4 + 2 (Faction) + 1 (Darkness Card) + 2 (Elite ability) = 9
Armor rolls: 72
Total wounds taken (after Grit): 27 (Mongo has 36 Health)

Important gear:
- Splitter with DS Grip & Rune of Protection
- Cross of Vengeance, Refined by his Rancher friend
- Teleportation Bracelet (a must for any melee character, even more so for one with -1 move...)
- Serpent Skull Helmet
- Amulet of Stryx (I think - the one that increases corruption limit)

Important Mutations:
- Prehensile Tail
- Eye Stalks
(has 3 or 4 other mutations I can't recall off the top of my head)

Other Important stuff:
- Void Vapor Injection - with a Max Grit of 6, and many grit-powered abilities (Swingin' Fists, Rage, Teleportation Bracelet), Mongo gets an VVI every time the Doc's Office is available.

I'll try to remember to post a photo of the character sheet tonight.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I have access to a US shipping address.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
My main character is also a Bandido named Paco!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite SoB character is no Bandido but an U.S. Marshal - and she depicts my experiences with this great game pretty formidable:

Kate Katic started out as a one-shot character with a cheesy name (you didn't get it? You should so watch Castle TV show...) but developed a background and interesting story twists as game went on. And on. And on...

Kate was born as the only child of Alexei and Emilia Katic, Slovac emigrants in 58's Colorado gold rush. Her parents left Europe with little more than their clothes and travelled westbound, but their journey ended in the small village of Setho's Mill, as their carriage broke down and the Katic had to earn provisions for further travelling.
Alexei applied for Deputy and - as no one else cared for this job in a town of lumberjacks far away of anything - was deputized without much effort. He was soon renowned and respected for his sense of justice and he and Emilia, who founded a small general store in Setho's Mill, became used to the quiet life in the Brimstone area. In 1862, their daughter Kate completed the family and nothing could have disturbed the peaceful life.
Until the Darkstone Rush of Brimstone.
Suddenly all kind of strange folks entered Setho's Mill, and Alexei thought about quitting the Deputie's job right the evening the big news arrived: Brimstone had vanished from the map! Alexei immediately left to see what help he could be - this was his last goodby from his family.
When Kate, who was used to help her father with research and deduction, travelled to the Brimstone area to search for her father she would encounter nothing but his worn Eye patch - and terrible tales of Tentacles terrorizing the surrounding towns, surely being responsible for her father's passing as well.
At this moment Kate vowed to follow her father's trail and find out what was behind these peculiar occurrences - she never believed in an unfortunate accident.

Back in Setho's Mill, Kate took her father's tools of Trade (and many a fellow cheered at this sight) and left to investigate further. Leaving Seto's Mill she joined forces with Amelia Pond and Harry Blackstone, a Saloon Girl and an Huckster who decided it was time to leave their employer and find their own fortune together as well as Hugh Wells, a person of dubitable renown and strange colts (a Twin gun Bandido) who, in one way or the other, decided to fathom out the reasons of Brimstone's Big Bang.

Many a journey led the posse to strange places and through mystic portals, but none influenced Kate like the encounter of an ethereal spectre in a hellish cave Harry called Cynder - the spectre gave her a sign of authority, marked "O'Tar". Thus Kate recognized that, even from other sides of the veil, people cared for the big scheme behind the breaches in reality. She picked up her Tools of Science and decided to face the puppet master behind the scenes.

The views of Targa's blazed Ice wastes deeply cut into Kate's mind as a world which might not have stood up against the manipulation, but when she and her friends travelled in the Brimstone Area and they stumbled upon an Indian Burial Ground, Kate's life took another dramatical twist. The erupting spiritual energies transformed her more than her fellows, but instead of warping her body she got possessed by a tentacle being, diffunding through her skin at will. She could understand this creature - and recognized it begged for help. If even the twisted abominations were afraid, what could be the reason? This day, Kate named her "tentacle child" Peter and swore her second oath to protect the living and bring justice to the dead, no matter what species they belonged to.

As determined as Kate is, there's one horror left for her: To travel home and let her mother see what has happened to her...

Kate Katic started as a Melee U.S. Marshal (Honor Upgrade Tree 1 - 3, Rolling Thunder), who quickly discovered that a Worn Eye Patch together with Tools of Science makes a great way to go. Whirling Strike and a Butcher's Blade rounded the image...
When Kate got hideously mutated (she won't be able to remove Peter) she decided to follow the Resolve Route further in order to even improve her damage...
With her Teleportation Bracelet, a Void Armor and The Devil's Own (as a sign to bring justice to the Demons as well as humans) and the obscene Synergies of Whirling Strike, Tools of Science and a Butcher's Blade she's a beast in Melee, never running out of Grit and usually taking even Brutal Goliaths out in a single round of combat.
Peter got used to help Kate and got stronger over time [Void Child with Eye Stalks, later came the Fangs (which I interpret to be claws)], so Kate isn't going to let him down easily.
Her only drawback is her constant niggling conscience that she has to kill so many outsiders in order to face the darkness behind.

Kate is currently Level 5 and hopes to find some +Health options soon, as her rather meager 16 Health won't help her to last too long in a fight even with her Defense and the Void Plate.

My favourite thing about this character (besides from 76 Damage dealt in a single round...) is the way her story unfold as game went on - and this is exactly the point of SoB: Whatever may happen to your character, it gives a new story incentive - and usually you will be able to integrate it into your character profile without playing suboptimally. Just one or two matching purchases in town and you are back on the track again - with a new tale to tell!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I DON'T have access to a U.S. Shipping adress, so just enjoy the tale! If you still think it's worth the red sprues (which would be my honor!) I'm pretty sure we can find some way I can help with shipping fees ;-)

Edit for spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the unscientific study of this says that Banditos are the best!

As a follow up to my story, I'm going to make a female Bandita at some point to tell Consuela's story. Why is poor Pedro so broken up? How gruesome was her fate... I'm guessing it'll have something to do with Trederra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Laman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My current favorite isn't a single hero, but rather an entire posse made up of a Piano player and a trio of sister Saloon Girls. All that comforting presence going around at the end of a turn is such a hoot!

Anyway, for my favorite 'single' character, for me it would have to be a relatively low level character I've recently run through some small adventures...

Brawling Brother Patrick O'Malley
His starting bio is like this:

Back east, throughout the smokey underground fight clubs of Boston's wharf district, Patrick O'Malley had realized that he'd soon become a tool in the maneuverings of the wealthy and influential. Powerful men. Corrupt men. But this scrappy young Irish immigrant vowed be no mans pawn and was hell bent on overcoming his debt of passage. He set his mind and body to the task with a vengeance and quite quickly made a name for himself. His prowess in contests of bare-knuckled fisticuffs, wrastling, and ungentlemanly brawling had earned him a reputation as a dangerous man running in dangerous circles... and more importantly to his employers, had garnered tidy profits. Yet somehow, he never saw the a fair share of the wagering and even with taking on various questionable 'side-jobs', he came to realize that the settlement of his debts would always remain just beyond his grasp.

His winning reputation and growing fame also developed an amount of predictability, stifling the wagering. Not good for profits. Crowds were thinning at the expected outcome of his bouts. Patrick had become a liability in plays of power, politics, and profiteering.

Back room negotiations between rival factions had decided that it would be best for all concerned parties if their man Patrick were to take a fall. Out with the old, in with the new, a fresh upcoming fighter was being groomed to take center stage.

Even with the lure and promise of a substantially reducing his debt, Patrick suffered the sins of stubbornness and pride. Refusing to take a fall, in defiance and rage he pummeled his opponent mercilessly, savagely crossing a line that few men dare to cross.

When he'd realized what he had done, the shock of seeing his opponent broken and twitching convulsively at his feet, the booing and hissing of the crowd... he barely registered the thrown bottles, harsh blows and kicks landed upon him, or of being dragged half conscious to the river, battered and broken within inches of his life.

Days later he was found some ways downstream by a kindly brother of a monastery outside the city. The brotherhood slowly nursed him back to health. They would not judge, and he alone would carry the blood of an innocent man on his hands.

Over time, his stay in the brotherhood had healed both his body and spirit. He became devout in his faith, a god fearing man, and took to the followings of the brotherhood with determination, thankful for his second chance.

But while the church could grant him absolution, and even for a time, some protection in the way of anonymity, there were those who would eventually recognize him, remember his reputation, and never forget or forgive his debt.

His continued presence was a risk to the brotherhood, and he realized that he needed to leave. Patrick decided to repay the kindness of his brothers by making his way out west. They had contacts in the Brimstone region, and hearing reports of troubles brewing there, Patrick vowed to spread his newfound faith to all who might listen, to Smite down the enemies of God and man, and to do such works of righteousness to atone for the result of his sinful pride.

And so his tale begins...

Edit: I forgot to mention some of his particulars.

Level 2 Firebrand Preacher. Having no skill in firearms, but relies on his powerful sermons of Smite and Shockwave, and when needed, resorts to wading into the thick of things, brawling with his fists to battle the evils arising from the void.

He currently has little special gear, but is armed with his Holy Book augmenting his faith while his Knuckle Duster lends just a bit more persuasiveness when he gets into fisticuffs.

In his travels west, he's gained an amiable traveling companion and local guide in the form of the Indian Scout named Crazy Foot, and has taken a shine to a feisty rancher gal named Deadly Dar who's a mean shot with her rifle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chasissa D
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, all, for entering our little giveaway + giveback to the Brimstone community. The winner of the set of red sprues and xp cards is... Thomas (Blark)! You had me at "ES LA HORA DE CLOBBERIN'!"

We were really happy to see a couple of female gamers jump in on this thread. My wife enjoys this game a whole lot too. A close second for us was Jan (Meyberg) but shipping outside the US is expensive and a bit of a hassle, but at least she gets honorable mention. (What was that mini you use for your character?)

Great to see that the Frogs had a strong Kickstarter with Forbidden Fortress, and can't wait to see where they take this awesome and crazy game in the future.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Congrats to Thomas and Jan! Enjoy, Thomas! And thanks again for the fun contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks, Chas! It's always fun to hear about everyone's characters, and to know that banditos/banditas rule!

I look forward to the extra clobberin'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Laman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congrats Blark! Thanks for the generosity of running the contest Chasden. It was fun and great to see those character bios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your kind words - and congrats to Thomas!!!
(Sorry I have to disappoint you there, it's just this SoB character which turned out to be female; all in all I'm not too much of a help to raise the number of ladies out there playing SoB! Jan isn't short for Janine but a German short form of John, as far as I know... ;-) )

The mini is ... well ... pretty much scavenged alltogether from various sprues of a certain, VERY well known workshop for games ;-P

I used the Dark Eldar wyches as body and for the arms, added the backpack (my "Tools of Science") and a modified Shotgun from "Adeptus Mechanicus Scitarii" - one of the best Steampunk sprues out ther, IMHO! - and finalized with some green stuff and a wood elf warrior head to resemble my "Hollow Mask" (a custom Cynder Artifact which Kate wore until she levelled up the Resolve Tree high enough: Gear - Clothing - Face - 2 DS, 0 Anvil, ignore double Mutation results).

Cheers and happy gaming!
Best regards, Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.