Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Trifaro
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
so, I just got the core set and I am planning to buy expansions, and play (mostly solo) in order of release. My question is, do I need to buy a second core set, (I'm sure I will eventually anyway)AND when in the order of release should I buy the second set? Should I get a second set before I start the Mirkwood cycle, or get it later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For playing solo, one handed (just one deck), then no, you don't need another core set. Even playing two handed (two decks at once) you'll be fine for a while. A second core set is nice, but not needed.

What I did was to wait for good deals to pop up, and snagged another core set when it was cheap. I actually ended up getting a third core set, but mainly because it was ridiculously cheap since the box was ruined. The cards inside were in perfect condition.

I would play the game a bunch before you buy another core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trifaro
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
very nice, thank you. I will most likely go with your advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to get one get it sooner. The larger your card pool gets the less you need the 2nd (or 3rd) core (other than for keeping several decks built). I've always only had the one core and enjoyed my plays (sometimes I have printed a proxy or two for keeping a deck built, but I've not had to print more than half a dozen so really not a big concern.

YMMV, some will say the 2nd (and 3rd) are necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dj3ebfreak wrote:
so, I just got the core set and I am planning to buy expansions, and play (mostly solo) in order of release. My question is, do I need to buy a second core set, (I'm sure I will eventually anyway)AND when in the order of release should I buy the second set? Should I get a second set before I start the Mirkwood cycle, or get it later?

And I would say, don't buy a second core until you're familiar enough with the game that you have a clear idea of what cards you really want second copies of. If you don't play enough to miss them, then a second core will be wasted money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a second core set is pretty essential. It gives you play sets of some excellent cards you only got two of (Steward of Gondor, Sneak Attack, etc.) and two copies of a few amazing ones (Unexpected Courage, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are too few interesting one-of cards to make a second core worth it (unless it's very cheap), but since I have the first edition there might be errata'd cards. Other than that I don't find it necessary at all. Having several cycles AND the sagas means fewer core cards see much playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Chase

Beaverton
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a few times you can find people that will strip down the core sets and sell card pools. So if you are looking for just certain cards, it could be a good source. Personally, I would just spend the extra money for a second core eventually. Right now I play solo and only have one core set. Seems to be just fine and I have a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second core gives you;

1) your two of cards become three of.

2) your one of cards become two of.

3) threat counters for 3-4 players.

4) spare tokens.

Medium waste.

Still doesn't get you to a full compliment of three of each card. That requires a third core which generates maximum waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get one cheap like part of a multi listing on ebay or like others where the box is damaged but the cards are fine I would suggest go for it

Else hold of till you feel you really need it

I got mine in a lot with 3 other card games (Warhammer: Invasion , Core Worlds,and rune age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am relatively new to the game so take my opinion from that perspective..... but isn't using a second core set almost cheating?

My logic - such as it is - is that the designers specifically only put 1/2 copies in of certain cards for a reason not really expecting people to purchase two+ core sets to play. So they expected (and balanced the game accordingly) people to only have the limited cards in the core set available? I am talking from the perspective of a single player playing 1 or 2 decks not 3/4 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zoidberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
TBJ_SS wrote:
I am relatively new to the game so take my opinion from that perspective..... but isn't using a second core set almost cheating?

My logic - such as it is - is that the designers specifically only put 1/2 copies in of certain cards for a reason not really expecting people to purchase two+ core sets to play. So they expected (and balanced the game accordingly) people to only have the limited cards in the core set available? I am talking from the perspective of a single player playing 1 or 2 decks not 3/4 player games.

Doubt they balanced the game around Brock Iron fist, even if they expected him to be a lot better than he turned out to be. Realistically, they know people will buy multiple cores on proxy the extras. Remember that all card packs after the core include 3 copies of each card so the "rare" aspect of 1 of's is lost immediately after the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBJ_SS wrote:

Cheating? No there is no "one of" limits to any of the one of cards in the core set. I love FFG, but they are a company that needs to make money. Which would they rather you buy? One or three copies of the core set? It's definitely not cheating. I think it was a financial decision to have two copies and one copy of some cards in the core set. Just my opinion of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
I agree with Steven. In spite of the three card rule, it is my opinion that the one of or two of cards are deliberately under populated to aid in managing their power. In most cases, the desire for multiple core sets is driven by the consideration to have them appear more frequently in the draw by having three copies. JMO of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zoidberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
notrub wrote:
I agree with Steven. In spite of the three card rule, it is my opinion that the one of or two of cards are deliberately under populated to aid in managing their power. In most cases, the desire for multiple core sets is driven by the consideration to have them appear more frequently in the draw by having three copies. JMO of course.

As I stated above, remember that after the core set no card is under populated; you always get 3 copies of each card. This includes cards that are objectively better than core set cards. There is just no basis for this interpretation; it's just the way FFG roll's out their LCG's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree that the expansions have cards that are objectively better than some of the limited-count cards in the core. The majority of staple cards (always useful) are still in the core, I think. (With good reason -- such cards have maximum utility when just starting.) However, there's no reason to think FFG didn't anticipate people buying multiple core sets or would consider it "cheating". The very first page of the rules contemplates using an additional core set to extend the player count, and constructing a "tournament deck" with monosphere heroes wasn't *possible* without a second core set at the time of the game's release.

Was the game "balanced" around the limited number of copies? I rather doubt it. The game's not balanced in the first place, scenarios vary *widely* in difficulty. Further, if you're playing with the 30-card intro decks, the 2x cards appear at about the same frequency than 3x would appear in a 50-card deck. That's not true of the 1x cards, but again a second core set keeps the frequency of those cards approximately the same as in the intro deck.

I would have preferred that all the cards in the core set came 3x, as in all subsequent releases, but without adding more cards this would have substantially reduced the player card count.

Are the 1x cards exceptionally powerful as a rule, so that 3x (requires three card sets) would be distorting? I don't think so:

Brok Ironfist (6 leadership ally)
Grim Resolve (5 leadership event)
Celebrian's Stone (2 leadership attachment, unique)
Beorn (6 tactics ally)
Swift Strike (2 tactics event)
Stand Together (0 tactics event)
Horn of Gondor (1 tactics attachment, unique)
Dwarven Tomb (1 spirit event)
Fortune or Fate (5 spirit event)
Unexpected Courage (2 spirit attachment)
Henamarth Riversong (1 lore ally, unique)
Beorn's Hospitality (5 lore event)
Dark Knowledge (1 lore attachment)

All the expensive events are 1x, all the non-Gandalf uniques except Gleowine are here, and Unexpected Courage is the only card that really makes me wish I had a third core set.

The 3x cards are actually fairly few in number:
Guard of the Citadel (2 leadership ally)
Snowbourn Scout (1 leadership ally)
Veteran Axehand (2 tactics ally)
Gondorian Spearman (2 tactics ally)
Blade Mastery (1 tactics event)
Lorien Guide (3 spirit ally)
Stand and Fight (X spirit event)
Daughter of Nimrodel (3 lore ally)
Lore of Imaldris (3 lore event)

Given how few 3x cards there are, and their heavy tilt towards ally, it's totally implausible that the more numerous 2x cards (38 of them) are that way for balance reasons. While that set does include some staple cards, it includes even more cards that just aren't that good.

I can say definitively that Caleb Grace has no issues with using a second core set. He shares a new tactics/spirit deck he built that he really likes here:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2013/3/19/second-...

The deck includes:
2x Horn of Gondor
2x Unexpected Courage
3x A Test of Will
3x Feint

Sadly three years later this deck would be nerfed by the Horn of Gondor errata (in this deck it was one of the key cards he looked for). This is the very first second breakfast article, and it presents a deck that requires two core sets to build and does not even *mention* that it requires two core sets. (In my experience it's more common to mention when a posted deck only requires one core set.)

I have no regrets for buying my second core set, but I got it on sale and did not get it instead of buying new content. If you're trying to decide *between* getting a second core set or a deluxe/saga expansion, I would recommend the expansion every time. A second core is never useless, but it's never required (excepting 3-4 player games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However, since the OP states he is planning on getting it all anyway, including a second core set, and wants to play progression style, I would recommend buying the second core immediately. Having the extra cards will be most useful at the beginning when the card pool is small, the more expansions you have the smaller the marginal impact of having 3x instead of 2x will become.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have a 2nd set, primarily play solo. Probably the only card I really wish I had 3x of is Dwarven Tomb. Sure, Unexpected Courage would be nice too but there are plenty of readying cards now.

Regarding card distribution keep in mind that if all players at the table have bought into the game, there are going to be multiple core sets in play anyway. Also keep in mind that with a single core set it is literally impossible to play Thicket of Spears if you want to meet the minimum tournament rules in the rulebook, unless the expectation was to have 20 unplayable cards in hand. (unless I'm forgetting an off-sphere ability in the core set). Considering 3x is in the rules, you need more than one core set to meet the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.