$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 86.64

5,704 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
35.9% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Castle Panic: Engines of War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Initial Questions When Playing with Other Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Rabold
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rules PDF for Engines of War makes me really excited to try out the new expansion, but there are a some questions that I currently have with play and set-up when using Engines of War with other expansions:

1. This is more of a design choice question than anything else. When playing with the Wizard's Tower expansion, it appears that everyone's hand size is increased by 1. Why was this? Is it because the ballista, catapult, and field equipment are destroyed by fire, making them more fragile when playing with the Wizard's Tower and/or because you're now having to manage a hand with cards from three different decks?

2. When playing with all three expansions, you're instructed to remove all Orcs from the base Castle Panic game. Is this done before or after setting aside 6 Orcs for the siege engine crew? Basically, by the rules, do you still have the option of using the standard 6 Orc crew or are you expected to use alternate or random monsters. In the latter case, would there be a recommended alternate crew? If you do still have the option to use the standard 6 Orc crew, but you decide to instead use an alternate or random crew, are those 6 Orcs still removed from the game (meaning you'd be effectively playing with 6 less monster tokens than if you did use the standard 6 Orc crew)?

2a. A bit of a general question related to the question above, when using an alternate or random crew should the two crew members be randomized from the crew when a siege engine is draw?

3. Speaking of randomizing monsters, when you randomize monsters either to create a random siege engine crew or to set out a random set of starting monsters (as required by the standard rules for a Castle Panic, Wizard's Tower, and Engines of War game), should the special red-bordered monsters also be excluded from the set? Are red-bordered monsters meant to basically be treated the same as the bosses from the base game as far as the rules go?

4. Another design choice question. What was the reasoning behind removing the four specific Wizard Deck cards (Arcane Assembly, Azriel's Fist, Eye of the Oracle, and Thalgar's Blessing) when playing with Engines of War? I can understand Arcane Assembly as it would probably make it way too easy to rebuild walls, but the rest of the cards? I don't really mind too much as it will make it easier to cycle the deck to get back nice cards like Hammer of Light, but Azriel's Fist seems like a particularly weird choice to remove and Thalgar's Blessing will be very sadly missed. Removing Wizard cards that don't have mechanical conflicts with the expansion seems very odd when there are no new Wizard cards to be added to the deck to take their place. (Are we ever going to get new Wizard cards??)

And I think that's all I have with just going over the rule book. Can't wait to play this!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin De Witt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Aaron,
I'm glad to hear you're excited for the game. I think players are going to have a really good time with this one!

I'll answer your questions below.

pluvia33 wrote:
Reading the rules PDF for Engines of War makes me really excited to try out the new expansion, but there are a some questions that I currently have with play and set-up when using Engines of War with other expansions:

1. This is more of a design choice question than anything else. When playing with the Wizard's Tower expansion, it appears that everyone's hand size is increased by 1. Why was this? Is it because the ballista, catapult, and field equipment are destroyed by fire, making them more fragile when playing with the Wizard's Tower and/or because you're now having to manage a hand with cards from three different decks?


Actually, it's because we found that given the choice between drawing from the Castle deck, Wizard deck and Resource deck, players were frustrated with not being able to do enough with their hands. By increasing the hand size it let's players use all the fun bits from all the expansions.

Quote:
2. When playing with all three expansions, you're instructed to remove all Orcs from the base Castle Panic game. Is this done before or after setting aside 6 Orcs for the siege engine crew? Basically, by the rules, do you still have the option of using the standard 6 Orc crew or are you expected to use alternate or random monsters. In the latter case, would there be a recommended alternate crew? If you do still have the option to use the standard 6 Orc crew, but you decide to instead use an alternate or random crew, are those 6 Orcs still removed from the game (meaning you'd be effectively playing with 6 less monster tokens than if you did use the standard 6 Orc crew)?


You should always set aside the 6 Orcs as crew first, before you do any other token adjustments, no matter which combination of expansions you are playing with. You can always choose to use different monsters for crew, but we don't force you to. If you do swap them out for different Monsters then it depends on where those Monsters came from. The idea is to keep the total number of Monsters in play the same, so for example; if you are using Monsters that would be discarded according to setup, then, you would want to keep the 6 Crew Orcs in play. However, if you are using Monsters that SHOULD be kept in play, then you would remove the Crew Orcs.

Quote:
2a. A bit of a general question related to the question above, when using an alternate or random crew should the two crew members be randomized from the crew when a siege engine is draw?


That's totally up to you and your group. If you like the surprise of not knowing then keep it random. If you'd rather balance it out so each crew is roughly equal in health points, then you should pre-build the crew.

Quote:
3. Speaking of randomizing monsters, when you randomize monsters either to create a random siege engine crew or to set out a random set of starting monsters (as required by the standard rules for a Castle Panic, Wizard's Tower, and Engines of War game), should the special red-bordered monsters also be excluded from the set? Are red-bordered monsters meant to basically be treated the same as the bosses from the base game as far as the rules go?


I would say yes, it evens out the difficulty curve and prevents the game from starting with too many restrictions.

Quote:
4. Another design choice question. What was the reasoning behind removing the four specific Wizard Deck cards (Arcane Assembly, Azriel's Fist, Eye of the Oracle, and Thalgar's Blessing) when playing with Engines of War? I can understand Arcane Assembly as it would probably make it way too easy to rebuild walls, but the rest of the cards? I don't really mind too much as it will make it easier to cycle the deck to get back nice cards like Hammer of Light, but Azriel's Fist seems like a particularly weird choice to remove and Thalgar's Blessing will be very sadly missed. Removing Wizard cards that don't have mechanical conflicts with the expansion seems very odd when there are no new Wizard cards to be added to the deck to take their place. (Are we ever going to get new Wizard cards??)


It was actually a balance issue. The Ballista and Catapult are very powerful and those particular Wizard Cards were tipping the game to much in the player's favor consistently. We have some new Wizard Card ideas that will probably be coming in a future expansion. Stay tuned!

Quote:
And I think that's all I have with just going over the rule book. Can't wait to play this!


Great. Have fun defending the castle!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Rabold
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the quick reply, Justin! Some great information and insight. I like to play games as closely as the designers intended them to be played whenever possible, especially for the first few playthroughs.

But I do think you might have gotten mixed up here:

jeston wrote:
The idea is to keep the total number of Monsters in play the same, so for example; if you are using Monsters that would be discarded according to setup, then, you would want to keep the 6 Crew Orcs in play. However, if you are using Monsters that SHOULD be kept in play, then you would remove the Crew Orcs.


I'm pretty sure that doing it that way would add 6 additional monsters to the game in the first case and 6 fewer monsters in the second case. If you want to keep the number of monsters in play the same, shouldn't that mean:

-When using monsters that would have been discarded during set-up to crew, remove the standard 6-Orc crew from of play.

-When using monsters that would have been in play, put the Orcs from the standard crew into the monster bag/draw pail.

Thanks again for the reply! Can't wait to play!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.