Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Please help me decide between three games for my wife rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shade shock
msg tools
At our gaming program yesterday, my wife played Roll For It! with a few other players. She really enjoyed herself and I am thinking about getting the game for her. However, she also enjoys civilization games and while looking around, I found the Roll Through the Ages games (Bronze Age and Iron Age). My wife is a very seasoned boardgamer and enjoys both light and heavyish games so weight is not really a concern. Excessive fiddlyness and set up time can be a detriment, but I don't foresee any difficulty with these games. I have not had the opportunity to play any of the games, so I come to the community with the following questions:

1. Did you enjoy any of the games mentioned? Why or why not?

2. Are the games different enough to warrant having them all? If not, which would you recommend?

3. How well do the Roll Through the Ages games play solo? (She often will play board games alone if I am not awake/home).

Thank you all in advance for any help you can give!

-Ex0dus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you need both Bronze Age and Iron Age. Bronze Age by itself felt a little plain, but there is an advanced score sheet that you can print out that gives more options, which we enjoy. Iron Age has more options built-in. I haven't played either of them solo.

A light dice game that I could see playing well solo is Rolling America. We got a copy on sale at B&N the other day, and have played it a handful of times 2p. The rules are simple, so it's the sort of thing you can introduce other people too pretty easily. I think there are other fan maps you can print out to change it up, as well.

Saint Malo is an often overlooked dice rolling game (2p, not solo) that has almost no setup - it is played on a wipe off board with a marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option for a light dice roller in this vein that plays solo is Catan Dice Game

There is a different map that you can print out for it, which we enjoy.

And I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for, but it's perhaps worth mentioning Machi Koro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Delikowski
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with indigopotter. Bronze is pretty light, but it's an enjoyable dice chucker. My wife and I enjoyed it, but to me there are only a couple of really viable victory paths (at least in a two player game). I also haven't played it solo. Iron Late Bronze age is just an "expansion" to Bronze with a different score sheet and some extra rules. I haven't played it, but it is freely available, so if you like Bronze, then it's low risk to try out Iron Late Bronze.

We also like Qwixx Deluxe as a nice light dice chucker. The deluxe version comes with the Mixx variant, which is a nice change of pace and provides a bit more challenge.

EDIT: Corrected my brain fart with the name of the Roll Through the Ages expansion. Thanks indigopotter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Age is the second base game:

The Late Bronze Age is the score sheet expansion for Bronze Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Delikowski
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Iron Age is the second base game:

The Late Bronze Age is the score sheet expansion for Bronze Age.

Dang it, you are 100% correct. I apologize for the colossal error on my part. I've edited my post with this. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shade shock
msg tools
Thank you both for all of the suggestions! I ended up getting Roll Through the Ages: Bronze Age (the flexibility of playing with or without the additional variant will be welcomed by my wife) and will likely get both St. Malo (I am personally very interested in this one, don't know if my wife will be) and Qwixx Deluxe at a later date =)

Thank you again!

-Ex0dus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.