Hide
3 Posts

Junta» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pres/MIS go into exile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan L
msg tools
Note: Question applies to 1985 edition - this clarification may have been resolved in future editions

Hi All, I've got a nuanced question so let me explain the situation first.

The whole game I had been MIS until I knew the pres took way more than he let on, so I decide to assassinate him at the bank.

The turn of play at least in this version is: Assassinations --> location reveal/Bank --> Coup. Immediately after the death of a Pres, a new one must be elected and I used all my influence to vote myself in. This leaves me as both the Pres and MIS for the time being (until the beginning of the next turn when the cabinet is chosen). I am made president in between Banking and Coup, so I get to bank the entire budget.

Clearly everyone wants to coup. I now have control of Pres and MIS men. As the MIS, I use one of the police tokens to get into exile. Does my dual position allow me to do this or does my position as Pres push my MIS role to be played as the "Brother in Law"?

I did this because I remember something saying the president cannot go into exhile or something. Everyone agreed the rule book did not really specify if this could be done, whereas I said that thematically it would make sense that a person could assassinate a president then go into exile.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Brown
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
2013 rules state that the President must step down immediately before going into exile, at which point a new president is elected. But a president can not step down during a coup.
My interpretation of exile has been that the player is essentially stepping away from the table until the start of the next round or later. So I think exile applies to players and not individual roles. So, I'm this instance, you would retire as president BEFORE the coup phase, a new president would be elected, and then you (as only the MIS) would exile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan L
msg tools
I see. So since I elected myself as president, I shouldn't have been able to go into exile? In which case, I would have lost a coup and thereby vacating my influence cards.

If I was planning on going into exile the whole time, I should have vacated the Pres role and if there was a coup attempt on the new president, go into exile.

Also, happy to see that there are still people playing this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.