Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ard Mhacha
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking of ordering the Hero Realms collection which includes all five character packs. I was going to give the base game to my son for Christmas and then give him the character packs over time, birthdays or other occasions.

Can you add a single character pack to the game and play it OK? Is one player having a character pack against a base game starting hand a fair competition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the characters are significantly more powerful than a basic starting deck. Their decks are better, they start with more life (except the wizard), and they have access to powerful abilities which there's no analog to in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ard Mhacha
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for that. If I was to add 2 characters to the base game which 2 would be best for a balanced game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I've played every character, but I've also won every game I've played. laugh I'd say save the thief for last, as its ability can be a bit annoying (can force people to discard cards). You might consider picking one magical character (Cleric or Wizard) and one martial (Ranger or Fighter) just to have some more thematic difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think fighter is more straightforward to play than ranger. And cleric easier than wizard probably, so I would go with fighter and cleric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Z
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
My son loves playing as the thief, but one on one I don't find that fun to fight against much. The Fighter And The Wizard seem the best face off, but they really are all kind of fun to pit against each other.

I don't feel like you have much chance against the character packs with just one. But the bragging rights of doing it would be fun to pull off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.