$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 131.3

7,715 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
154 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: I'm Not Saying It's Terrorism... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://scallywagandvagabond.com/2016/11/ali-mohammed-somali-...

https://coed.com/2016/11/28/abdul-razak-ali-artan-ohio-state...

But it might be terrorism.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why didn't he use a gun?

No, seriously. It makes "sense" in Israel where there's more firearms control (and considerably more need for said control,) but why stab people in America if you're going to be a terrorist?

And this:

Quote:
Of note, in the August 25 edition of the Ohio State Lantern, Artan was featured in the “Humans of Ohio State” feature. During his interview, Artan bemoaned the lack of praying facilities at OSU. He stresses in the piece that he needs to pray five times a day.

Added the devout man, ‘I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think.’

He concludes that he doesn’t blame people for judging him. ‘It’s the media that put that picture in their heads so they’re just going to have and it, it’s going to make them feel uncomfortable. I was kind of scared right now [of praying in public]. But I just did it. I relied on God. I went over to the corner and just prayed.’


Read more at http://scallywagandvagabond.com/2016/11/abdul-razak-ali-arta...


That's gonna haunt people.

Has Trump tweeted about it yet? The nation awaits the movement of those tiny fingers on his phone's keyboard.

But yeah -- I don't get it. I'm interested to see if he was denied a firearms purchase in recent days.

"Oh but i'm sure this one was just mental illness" is something we won't hear anytime soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Scallywags and Vagabonds"? Really? Why choose a site that is basically a blog that simply links to other news sites that actually do reporting? All that does is introduce the ideological bias of more people. Why not just go to the local newspaper that is presumably covering the story? In this case, the Columbus Dispatch.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohio State Attack Was a Ram-and-Stab with 'Possibility' of Terrorism, Say Police

Quote:
Columbus Police Chief Kim Jacobs said officials "have to consider that it is that possibility" that a mass stabbing on the Ohio State University campus this morning was a terrorist attack.

The campus was locked down for an active shooter situation, but authorities said at a press conference that the bullets were fired by a responding officer. "There's no indication of a firearm being used by that suspect," Jacobs said.

The attack occurred on 19th Avenue in front of Watts Hall. Shortly before 10 a.m., a vehicle jumped the curb and ran into a group of pedestrians on the sidewalk. That initial impact injured "several," OSU president Michael Drake said.

Then the suspect, who has not been identified by police, got out and used a butcher knife to cut "multiple" people. Ten were transported to area hospitals, with one victim in critical condition.

Dispatch first received the call of the attack at 9:52 a.m., followed by a call at 9:53 a.m. that an OSU police officer fired at the suspect.

OSU public safety director Monica Moll said officers from multiple jurisdictions responded to the scene and law enforcement personnel in the area continue to investigate, but "we believe the threat was ended when the officer engaged the suspect."

A few buildings remain shut down "as a precaution," Moll said, as officers "continue to sweep those."

Jacobs stressed that two men photographed in handcuffs being led away from an OSU parking garage are not suspects, but people who got caught up in the police search and were "treated as potential suspects." Police were searching a garage on Lane Avenue after rumors of a second suspect.

"We have a lot of witnesses to interview," the chief said, but "we don't have anything to tell us there's a conspiracy going on."

Drake commended OSU police who "kept something very unfortunate from being much worse."

"We all live with fear that things like this can happen to us... we're pleased that this was no more serious than it could have been," the university president said, adding "we all know we live in an open society where these kinds of tragedies happen on an all too frequent basis."

Classes were canceled, Drake said, "to give the police a chance to begin their investigation."

OSU Police Chief Craig Stone said a butcher knife was recovered from the scene; he wouldn't say if suspect was a student.

NBC reported, though, that the attacker was an 18-year-old student originally from Somali and a legal permanent resident of the United States.

Stone said "it's too early to say" this was a terrorist attack, but he was able to conclude this "was done on purpose."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
But it might be terrorism.


Maybe it was global warming or a lack of prayer rooms.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Why didn't he use a gun?

No, seriously. It makes "sense" in Israel where there's more firearms control (and considerably more need for said control,) but why stab people in America if you're going to be a terrorist?


ISIS is actively encouraging knife attacks now.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
"Scallywags and Vagabonds"? Really? Why choose a site that is basically a blog that simply links to other news sites that actually do reporting? All that does is introduce the ideological bias of more people. Why not just go to the local newspaper that is presumably covering the story? In this case, the Columbus Dispatch.


Because it was first in the web search list? :shrugs:

You know Drew what I would have loved? If they didn't cancel classes and just kept up business as usual
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
You know Drew what I would have loved? If they didn't cancel classes and just kept up business as usual


While that approach is certainly tempting to show that "they" can't disrupt our lives, we had a recent incident where the police were combing the neighborhood where I work for a suspect who they believed was armed. We happened to have a bunch of kids on-site that day, so I quickly ushered them all into the building and locked the building down.

No way I was going to take a chance with human lives just to show that we wouldn't give in to fear.

(I was also a bit surprised that though they never caught the guy and had no clue where he disappeared to, they still gave the all-clear signal to nearby schools that the kids could go outside again. Uh . . . if you don't where he slipped away to . . . why the all-clear?)

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of face-planting on the left.

Best of the lot is the dunces at Vox who immediately posted an article "Ohio State University Attack: what we know" piece that included a video about "America's Gun Problem."

"What we know," indeed. Oh, Vox. Never change.

shake

Though I gotta give a shout-out to those who immediately jumped aboard the GUN CONTROL NOW narrative, and then after discovering a butcher knife was used switched to "This knife attacks demonstrates why we need GUN CONTROL NOW!"

Narrative über alles.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the attacker's words: http://breaking911.com/breaking-details-osu-attacker-abdul-a...

“I wanted to pray in the open, but I was kind of scared with everything going in the media,” he said. “I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen. . . . I was kind of scared right now. But I just did it. I relied on God. I went over to the corner and just prayed.”

And then, go out and fulfill jihad by trying to kill kafir.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
In the attacker's words: http://breaking911.com/breaking-details-osu-attacker-abdul-a...

“I wanted to pray in the open, but I was kind of scared with everything going in the media,” he said. “I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen. . . . I was kind of scared right now. But I just did it. I relied on God. I went over to the corner and just prayed.”

And then, go out and fulfill jihad by trying to kill kafir.


That's what I meant above -- those words are going to haunt non-violent Muslims.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Why didn't he use a gun?

No, seriously. It makes "sense" in Israel where there's more firearms control (and considerably more need for said control,) but why stab people in America if you're going to be a terrorist?


ISIS is actively encouraging knife attacks now.


Oh.

I suppose it is possible that the reader was too stupid to realize that those instructions were meant for people in other countries without easy access to firearms.

And yet ISIS praises the Minnesota guy in the same article.

Bizzare, disgusting.

I'm glad this kid was more of a failure than that guy in the mall.

Also:

Quote:
ISIS suggested a "campaign of knife attacks" in which the attacker "could dispose of his weapon after each use, finding no difficulty in acquiring another one."


As if you get a second chance with this shit...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
In the attacker's words: http://breaking911.com/breaking-details-osu-attacker-abdul-a...

“I wanted to pray in the open, but I was kind of scared with everything going in the media,” he said. “I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen. . . . I was kind of scared right now. But I just did it. I relied on God. I went over to the corner and just prayed.”

And then, go out and fulfill jihad by trying to kill kafir.


That's what I meant above -- those words are going to haunt non-violent Muslims.


How is drinking alcohol and Islam similar?

Eventually, they both get people killed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
But it might be terrorism.


Maybe it was global warming or a lack of prayer rooms.


Sad prayer-room guy part aside, what is the issue w/ admitting that climate change artificially impacts scarcity in a way that changes extremism rates?

Can't you do that even if you believe anthropogenic climate change is a political conspiracy?

(And personally I think our dollars to fight terrorism should be spent on bullets and research rather than carbon initiatives, so it's not like I'm too far away from the mainstream conservative position here. I agree with your underlying premise -- pinning this on climate change as a primary cause is silly, but denying it has any impact at all isn't realistic.)

and man I'm glad it's warm as december approaches
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
In the attacker's words: http://breaking911.com/breaking-details-osu-attacker-abdul-a...

“I wanted to pray in the open, but I was kind of scared with everything going in the media,” he said. “I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen. . . . I was kind of scared right now. But I just did it. I relied on God. I went over to the corner and just prayed.”

And then, go out and fulfill jihad by trying to kill kafir.


That's what I meant above -- those words are going to haunt non-violent Muslims.


How is drinking alcohol and Islam similar?

Eventually, they both get people killed.




Indeed, we should ban alcohol.

(But seriously -- as a feminist, I find many aspects of Islam abhorrent. Otherwise, I'm sympathetic to the idea that not all Muslims are murderers; I'm sympathetic to people that this kid's imitation of "moderate islam" will harm. I'm sympathetic to the idea that "moderate Islam" is problematic (again, largely in the feminist sense,) but the Crusades 2.0 might be a bad call.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

pjmedia and freebeacon - i like the new drew who doesnt keep his pretty legit sites a secret anymore
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
...what is the issue w/ admitting that climate change artificially impacts scarcity in a way that changes extremism rates?



"God makes a home for the lonely; He leads out the prisoners into prosperity, but the rebellious dwell in a parched land." Psalm 68:6


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

How is drinking alcohol and Islam similar?


Billions of people do it everyday with no ill effects to themselves or others.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Sarxis wrote:


I heard he was Druid (Druidish? Druidic?).



Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel sad for the victims that were hit by the car or stabbed by the knife. Hopefully they recover quickly, and that their wounds are not life-threatening or serious (even though being run over by a car or being stabbed is serious nonetheless).

What I don't feel sad for, though, is the blatant politicization of the entire event by a man that could have quite possibly been our next Vice President.

I present to you Senator Tim Kaine's wonderfully (stupid) and joyfully (ignorant) tweet:

Senator Tim Kaine wrote:
Deeply saddened by the senseless act of gun violence at Ohio State this morning. Praying for the injured and the entire Buckeye community


(I don't know how to link a picture of a tweet, so I cut and pasted the comment instead. You can find his comment full of dumbf*&kery here,.)

So let me get this straight, Mr. Senator. An armed police officer engages a perpetrator while he is committing a crime, yells at the perpetrator to stop committing said crime, and when the perpetrator refuses to heed the warning of said police officer, the police officer shoots him. And you call that "senseless gun violence"?

You, sir, are the dumbest dumdass dumbf*&k in the world! This is even dumber that your fellow Congressman that was worried about Guam "tipping over" because of the weight of the US Naval Base on one side of the island.

What a douchebag!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:


Sure it might be. But, then again, violence absent some political motivation isn't, ipso facto, terrorism. Could be the result of mental illness. Could be undirected rage over real or perceived slights.

Presumably, authorities will spend some time investigating this fellow and we'll get a better idea of his motivations, plans and goals. Til then, it's all speculation (and much of that will be uninformed).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Terwox wrote:


Sad prayer-room guy part aside, what is the issue w/ admitting that climate change artificially impacts scarcity in a way that changes extremism rates?


Global warming had zero to do with this whatsoever. He was just a fruitcake.

Well now....I'll take it back a notch. If one postulates global warming actually exists, then you might make the case that this guy was so upset about global warming that he might flip out and, I dunno, try to reduce the population a bit?

But no, global warming alarmism aside he was just a fruitcake and (possibly) one of the ISIS groups (last I heard we're still hearing about that).

Good riddance to bad rubbish.


Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

pjmedia and freebeacon - i like the new drew who doesnt keep his pretty legit sites a secret anymore


Oh, so you are saying that the left (or at least some on the left) wasn't a bit too hasty on the "gun violence" thing? And that the reason that the idiots on the left weren't actually behaving like idiots is because the source of their idiocy is a "freebeacon" webpage?

Go ahead and read Senator Tim Kaine's "Tweet of Dumbf*&kery" that I quoted above if you need "better" evidence of the left automatically turning this into a political dance of GUN CONTROL NOW! Straight from the horse's mouth - Senator Tim Kaine himself. There's your faceplant, and you don't need freebeacon to remind you of their dumbf*&kery when they do it all by themselves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Well now....I'll take it back a notch. If one postulates global warming actually exists, then you might make the case that this guy was so upset about global warming that he might flip out and, I dunno, try to reduce the population a bit?


We've had a couple of those in the last few years, haven't we?

This one came to mind:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-enters-discovery-channel-hea...

Quote:
Law enforcement identified the suspect as James Lee, 43, from Washington, D.C., who has for at least two years called for protests against the company and who was arrested and found guilty of disorderly conduct for a protest outside of Discovery's headquarters in 2008.

In a rambling manifesto on Lee's website, believed to have been written by Lee, the writer rails against "disgusting human babies," "parasitic infants," and says people should "disassemble civilization." The manifesto also calls on Discovery to "broadcast to the world their commitment to save the planet."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
Senator Tim Kaine himself.


Let's not forget Senator Chris Murphy.



These people are too stupid to be making our laws.

And yet, they do.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.