4,870 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.7% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys.

I just picked up Lost Cities, and I'd love to sleeve it (I play with people who can't stop bending the cards and don't wash their hands before gaming after eating pizza, for example).

Anywhoo.. I saw that there are sleeves made exclusively for it... At 70mm x 110mm. Mayday, Swan, and perhaps one other... The problem is, all of these products have bad reviews on amazon. They mention the sleeves being just a hair too small, bending the cards, etc. I'd hate to buy them if they won't work at all.

Meanwhile, Tarot sized sleeves 70 x 120, are perfect.... if just.. too long...

Has anyone had any experience in trimming card sleeves?

I certainly wouldn't be doing it by hand.

I'm thinking of using a Paper Cutter/Trimmer, but without having tried such a thing, I don't even know if the blade would cut smoothly through, say, Fantasy Flight Tarot Sized Sleeves.

I figure, if it is said to cut through a laminated sheet, it will probably work with a card sleeve, but I thought I'd ask you guys first before I buy such a device.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one I use for work is huge. 36x36 inches. It cuts through about 15 pieces of paper without issues it would certainly handle a sleeve without issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small guillotine cutter and used it to trim the sleeves for a Wiz-War PnP that I recently completed. The cuts were nice and clean, but I did one at a time, so it took a while.

This is the cutter I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016LDV41S/?tag=article-bo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Gayle
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a Fiskars rotary paper trimmer to fine-tune the length of card sleeves. It handles Fantasy Flight and Mayday premium sleeves with no problems.

You have to do them one at a time, but the guides on the trimmer's surface make it easy to get consistent results. A post-it note indicating where to place the butt end of the card helps speed up the correct placement, too.

Here's the link to the model I have:
http://tinyurl.com/zo9224c
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I trimmed down my entire Summoner Wars set using one of these: Fiskars 12 Inch Portable Scrapbooking Trimmer (196920-1001) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017KYE5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_g5lp...

It worked perfectly.

I tried using a guillotine cutter but wound up with uneven cuts because the cutter arm would cause the top side of the sleeve to bunch up a little as it was lowered. Maybe that wouldn't happen with a higher quality cutter though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stick one in a guillotine cutter and slice. You'll have your answer a second later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
(I play with people who can't stop bending the cards and don't wash their hands before gaming after eating pizza, for example).

Seems to me it's also not such a huge investment to just buy a separate, disposable copy for use with that audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gvonl wrote:
stick one in a guillotine cutter and slice. You'll have your answer a second later.

Well I'd hate to buy one and find out it didn't work.
Might try to see if a family member has one.

TVis wrote:
Polioliolio wrote:
(I play with people who can't stop bending the cards and don't wash their hands before gaming after eating pizza, for example).

Seems to me it's also not such a huge investment to just buy a separate, disposable copy for use with that audience.

For cheap games, I guess.

I'd rather just sleeve my copies though.
I like the protection they provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Marie
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Try Joann's if you have one local to you (www.joann.com) They usually have good coupons available. I bought a Fiskars one half price with a coupon, $25 or $30 originally, can't remember which. Using it to cut Unfair's print & play cards, and it's working wonderfully so far. There's a big variety of trimmers, and if i remember correctly some of them specify being able to cut through laminations.

I was a little fussy picking mine out. I wanted a slicer one (im clumsy enough without adding a guillotine to it), but it needed to be a clear slicer so i could see exactly where im cutting. You should be able to find one that suits your needs. Keep your receipt, should be returnable if it doesnt work out.

Michaels and A.C. Moore are also alternative stores, but from experience Joann's has the widest selection of paper trimmers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for your suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.