7 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions regarding the Lost Legion rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
Hi :-)

Just finished reading the Lost Legion manual, and I have couple of questions I'm not sure about:

1. It's mentioned that if assaulting a fortified site "across the wall" - the defenders are double fortified. I can understand why attacking a rampaging enemy means his fortified (as you actually attack "across" the wall as you one space near it). But isn't assaulting a fortified site require me to stand on that site space? I already payed the extra move to pass the wall and I'm no longer attacking "across it"? so how this rule works exactly?

2. The manual says that if I interact with a thug, the bonus or penalty counts in reverse for the entire interaction. However, later it mentioned that - If you recruit more thugs during the same interaction, this effect counts only once. So, does it happen only once? or for the whole interaction (ie, will the next thug I'll buy also have my interaction in reverse?

3. Am I'm allowed to change groups of enemies between phases? for example, let's say I have three enemies - A, B and C. In the ranged phase, I group enemy A and B. When the attack phase comes, can I create a new group with A and C? or I have to stick to the original grouping?

4. Can I assigned damage to more then one unit on the same damage assign phase? Can I block an attack with more then one unit if I wish to?

5. This special case: " The time Bending spell has to be set aside after it is played. If you use another card (Magic Talent) to play Time Bending, that card is set aside instead". I'm not sure I completely understand why Magic Talent is being set aside instead of Time Bending?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. The rule means that if you recruit two thug units, for the second unit the bonus/malus stays the same, while if you inverted the sign again, it would count once in a way, and once in the opposite way. And this is not thematic.

3. Damage to enemies doesn' transfer from one phase to the other. There is no sense in attacking in the ranged phase and not killing the enemies. So your question is badly posed.

4. Yes and yes.

5. The rule is there to avoid a loophole. Honestly I don't remember the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. - As it says. Fortified site across a wall is double-fortified.

2. - There is some ambiguity here that has never been fully resolved. Play it how you like, but just to be sure, if you had a 3 point discount to recruit thugs you aren't going to get another 3 point discount to recruit some guardsmen.

3. - Yes, you can change groups. Presumably you just killed the group you made in the ranged/siege phase anyway?

4. - Blocking and assigning damage are separate steps. You can generate block from any number of sources to block one attack. If an attack is not blocked and you have to assign damage, you can assign it to any number of units, but must assign as much damage as possible to one unit before assigning any remainder to a second.

5. - Magic Talent lets you play a card from the offer. You can't set aside Time Bending from the offer, so you set aside Magic Talent (if you didn't, you could play Magic Talent > Time Bending again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Mage Knight Board Game to Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Quote:

So just making sure I'm playing it right: When my move takes me on top of the Fortified site spot, and in order to get to that spotI moved though a wall, I need to pay 1 extra move, and the enemies are double Fortified. If I'm accessing the same Fortified site from an adjacent space (that does not have a wall painting), everything goes normally?

Quote:
2. - There is some ambiguity here that has never been fully resolved. Play it how you like, but just to be sure, if you had a 3 point discount to recruit thugs you aren't going to get another 3 point discount to recruit some guardsmen.

Quote:
The rule means that if you recruit two thug units, for the second unit the bonus/malus stays the same, while if you inverted the sign again, it would count once in a way, and once in the opposite way. And this is not thematic.

So if I have a -2 Reputation and I want to recruit a level 5 thug, I will only have to pay 3 influence. Getting another thug is the same interaction, will cost another 3 influence OR 7 - that's for me to decide. But anyhow - it's probably better thematically that if I'm recruiting a thug and then a guardsman in the same interaction, I will have to pay 7 influence for the guardsman (as It didn't makes sense for the good guys to be easier for me to recruit with min reputation). That's about right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
Quote:

So just making sure I'm playing it right: When my move takes me on top of the Fortified site spot, and in order to get to that spotI moved though a wall, I need to pay 1 extra move, and the enemies are double Fortified. If I'm accessing the same Fortified site from an adjacent space (that does not have a wall painting), everything goes normally?

Right.

Maokai wrote:
Quote:

So if I have a -2 Reputation and I want to recruit a level 5 thug, I will only have to pay 3 influence. Getting another thug is the same interaction, will cost another 3 influence OR 7 - that's for me to decide. But anyhow - it's probably better thematically that if I'm recruiting a thug and then a guardsman in the same interaction, I will have to pay 7 influence for the guardsman (as It didn't makes sense for the good guys to be easier for me to recruit with min reputation). That's about right?

I think you may have the reputation rules wrong. When you start interaction, you work out how your reputation will affect that interaction. It only takes effect once. However, you can recruit as many units as you like in one interaction.

In your example, if you recruit a thug for 3 (+2) influence, you could then recruit another thug for 5 influence and/or guardsmen for 5 influence. If you don't recruit a thug, the guardsman will cost 7 (-2) influence and a second guardsmen will cost 5 influence.

Quote:
If you recruit more Thugs or more Heroes Units during the same
interaction, this effect counts only once. You also cannot recruit
both Heroes and Thugs during the same interaction!

The ambiguity I referred to involves edge cases and intent, not the simple cases discussed above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Oh, I'm sorry. I completely forgotten that the reputation changes only happens during the first interaction.

In that case, it seems like when possible (and your reputation is minus), it's better to recruit a Thug first to wipe that negative reputation for that turn.

Great. Thanks for clearing it up Ben!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.