Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a chance to play Legends Untold at the Glasgow Games Festival last Saturday (26/11). Kev and Hugh were still setting up so we plonked ourselves down at the table next to them so that we could grab the first game

We played a three player game ... a guy (who never introduced himself), my 11 year old son and me. Hugh explained the rules, how the tableau / character sheet fitted together and how we moved through the dungeon. Off we went ... the Evicted Noble, the Forgehand and the Neophyte.

We tried and failed miserably at the first barrier (we didn't have the skills) so took an alternative route. At this point my memory fails me somewhat, but we managed to gradually work our way across six locations on the map. The mix of the party meant that we were always in with at least a semi-reasonable chance of success for the remaining barriers / encounters (with one exception) and we found navigating the first "level" of the caves an engaging experience.

The combat system is really smooth (just one dice roll - fantastic idea) and the move / act / camp (and reset) cycle works very well. Our only concern was over the size of the icons on the Location cards ... but we were playing with the "old" standard size ones. The double size locations will mean double size icons, so this won't be an issue with the published version.

I have read that some reviewers find the game a bit difficult to understand, which is strange because Legends Untold not a complex game. My son had no problems understanding the rules. Like any game with icons, the first game will be a learning experience, but once you know these the game will flow easily.

The game really conveys that "RPG Lite" feeling, with the cards acting as the GM and the player tableau being your character sheet. The decisions being made were not huge, but they were constant ... and the way the decisions were made by the party were very similar to an RPG session. And all in under an hour.

I came away with the feeling that my Kickstarter pledge is going to be money well spent. My 11 year old son's verdict ... "Awesome"!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brainrob wrote:
The decisions being made were not huge, but they were constant
I'm someone who reviewed the game but didn't find it too complex at all.

I wish I had said what you just wrote as it is totally accurate and sums up the enjoyment of the game. Constant small decisions contribute to the immersion factor without causing the game to come to a halt as someone ponders tons of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
would have given a lot to be there and try this one out. can't wait to get my copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.