5 Posts

Dune» Forums » General

Subject: What rule set is considered the 'standard' now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan B
Australia
flag msg tools
I'd like to play this soon but I'm totally confused on what set of rules to download and follow as everyone seems to have their own interpretation. I was going to use this 2010 Rules Re-Write here, is that still a safe bet or is a pdf of the Avalon Hill rules what I'm looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonichi Sanvictores
Philippines
Marikina City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From another thread ...

raithyn wrote:
I would put Slev's rewrite over Starbase Jeff. Both are pretty clear though.

Slev's rewrite is this, I believe:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/586842/2010-dune-rules-re-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is this one:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92555/consolidated-dune-r...

It's a little clearer than Slev's IMO, for example in describing what happens when both sides in a fight call out a traitor.

EDIT: Note that this version uses the WBC rulings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The original AH text is perfectly serviceable if you're a purist, but you'll almost certainly have to make some house-rulings on certain things as you go along. If you want to avoid all that ambiguity, you really have three options:

- Starbase Jeff
- Slev's Rules Rewrite
- The World Boardgaming Championship

I like Slev's best (as Tonichi shows above), but there are plenty of people people (see the same thread) who argue for Starbase Jeff instead. Note that while the first two seek to interpret the original rules with some notes on why certain decisions were made, the last is altered noticeably to both speed up play and define win conditions for timed games. It's probably not what you're after, but I'm including it for completeness as it is a public standard which people will use. You can find significant discussion on each (process, merits, faults, etc.) in the forums here, but that takes a little digging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference bewteen my work an that on Starbase Jeff is simply one of interpretation. There are several ambiguities in the original rules, which require rulings as to what they mean in practice. For my own, I riffed off of the WBC rulings and interpretations.

I didn't set out to change any actual rules, and I don't believe SBJ did either! In fact, I based a lot of my work from the rules texts on SBJ!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.