Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mb
Honestly, I may not have enough money for the chest. From what I gathered it seems pretty nebulous. I'm looking for mainly game only content. Now sure, there's the philosophies but is this an official part of the game? Meaning sometimes Poots put in "fun" cards/game things, that are non-canonical and aren't part of the true experience, but can be used in game. I'm wondering if the chest is the same thing (or rather the philosophies)? I'll get it if I must (honestly should've went with the $50 pledge and have more leeway to adjust), for game purposes. But I do want to save as much as possible as well for expansions and other game related content. I just wonder if this is "game-game" stuff that is meant to really be part of the game...or more lighthearted non-important extra game stuff that can be added at discretion (if people get my drift)? Of course, I'll wait till more is revealed, but I wanted to hear other people's thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing in the Gambler's Chest is going to be required to have fun playing the game. My advice is to wait until the last few days of the campaign and then decide its value. At the moment it adds a new ruleset with some cards and some figures which have only maybe a couple cards between them. With that in mind, the expansions are currently better value per dollar for gaming content. If Adam adds a few more small rules expansions, or even one or two expansions, to the chest, it'll probably be better value per dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign runs until January 7th. We'll know more when we know more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
The philosophies description says that it's part of the "Kingdom Death: Monster Advanced gamebook" that comes with the gambler's chest. That suggests there is going to be a good bit of game content involved in addition to the fluff minis. You'll have to wait and see if the amount is comparable to 2 1/2 Nightmare Ram sized expansions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat as the op, but I must say that the philosophies seems like it could be a good lifeline for a very difficult game?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but it seems like you will be able to bank some knowledge/bonuses in certain points in the game that grant permanent settlement bonuses(like a soft save system).
That sound like a great option for a game where you die alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Panciera
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zamnath wrote:
Nothing in the Gambler's Chest is going to be required to have fun playing the game. My advice is to wait until the last few days of the campaign and then decide its value. At the moment it adds a new ruleset with some cards and some figures which have only maybe a couple cards between them. With that in mind, the expansions are currently better value per dollar for gaming content. If Adam adds a few more small rules expansions, or even one or two expansions, to the chest, it'll probably be better value per dollar.

Yeah, this. Most of the things revealed so far are individual models with little gameplay impact. It may be the case that individual items become available for purchase later, so you may be able to buy just the one's you want later. Expansions are the way to go, at least from whats been revealed so far. I bet there will be a lot of individual minis released as part of the gamblers chest that will be fun to paint but without a lot of in game content.

The other thing is that these limited release kickstartery things usually go for 2x the cost on ebay, so it might be worth buying and turning over for a profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
As many have stated elsewhere, there's no opportunity cost in sitting at a higher tier and going down later. If you keep having second thoughts I'd just ignore the KS completely for like a month then come back when it's in its final weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Panciera
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
draxx01 wrote:
As many have stated elsewhere, there's no opportunity cost in sitting at a higher tier and going down later. If you keep having second thoughts I'd just ignore the KS completely for like a month then come back when it's in its final weeks.

I'm at the pledge level where I would get all the new content but I'll probably drop it depending on the cost of the expansions. I don't have any interest in the pinups or most of the promos, but it's worth keeping it at that level until we see what's getting released. You have good advice, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greasy Reese
Canada
flag msg tools
jpancier wrote:
draxx01 wrote:
...no opportunity cost in sitting at a higher tier and going down later.

...it's worth keeping it at that level until we see what's getting released. You have good advice, sir.

Agreed. I'm in the same boat, currently at the Gambler's Lantern, but depending on all the revealed content I may make some changes. I'm more interested in gameplay content than pinups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of people are doing the same thing. Pledging at a high level as a "space holder" until close to the end of the KS. Then you will see a lot of pledges altered based on the overall content of the project. I'm in at the $927 level which gets me the core game and all the new stuff. I am hopeful that the revealed content over the next month will make it worth it.

I suppose it would make sense to keep a close eye on the Black Friday level pledges as the KS enters it's final week. I'm sure some will free up and if you are lucky, you can jump on one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.